The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alrighty CoTH...need opinions....

I have horse who has always been funny with any type snaffles. She has gotten worse in the last 6 months. I have tried several different bits.(vairous light snaffles) with the same result. Always tossing/shaking her head or pulling on one side then gets mad and takes off and/or bucks.. I had her teeth done by a very exp horse dentist. He said all was good no issue. That didn't help. So had vet who does teeth come out. She was sedated and mouth was closely inspected..again no issues found.
    I have taken of the running martingale ( should note she is a endurance horse in the making was shown as a hunter over fences prior), the halter off, (used under bridle) changed headstalls,no noseband and the different bits. I thought maybe she has a low pallet and tried a snaffle with a link in the middle so it could not hit her in he roof of her mouth like a reg snaffle.

Now I know I have bad hands and I've been riding for over 20 yrs. So I have always used some sort of snaffle bits for that reason. So can someone offer any reasons why she is doing this and/or any bit suggestions?? She can be very strong at times but this is making me nuts.

T.I.A

Try a mullen mouth. Maybe she doesn't like the movement of a jointed bit.

I am currently riding a horse who LOVES a mullen mouth.

What happens when you use another type of bit or no bit?

Have you tried bit guards? I had a mare once that would get mad and toss her head a bit. Problem went away when I added guards. She was a bit of an over sensitive flake.

Bit guards may require a slightly wider bit tho. They do take up some space.

Try a bitless bridle.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Sidepull just to see if she likes it? (tried one on my gelding last weekend. He wasnt a fan, but then again, he lovessss his bits).
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I swore I would not spend the money, but I caved and bought a Herm Sprenger bit and my horse almost seems to like her bit now...the taste of the metal????
    Also the linked bit for a horse with a low pallet (sp?) should have made a difference. Good luck.

What makes you think it's the bit? Have you tried riding in a hackamore? That is sort of the test if you think the actual bit is what's bothering the horse. It could be any number of non-bit things: TMJ pain, neck pain, plain old bad habits and/or lack of proper training, etc.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    What makes you think it's the bit? Have you tried riding in a hackamore? That is sort of the test if you think the actual bit is what's bothering the horse. It could be any number of non-bit things: TMJ pain, neck pain, plain old bad habits and/or lack of proper training, etc.
    This. My first thought was TMJ pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    yep, I would try some kind of bitless option first, that's what I did with my horse who had the exact same problem when I first got him. If he goes well in a hackamore or bitless bridle, then problem solved.

In my case, my guy turned out to hate pretty much every kind of hackamore action, so I went back to trying bits. The mullen was what solved the problem for him. I use the peewee bit, and he loves it.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Could be back, spine or body pain as well. That's what I would look for, thoroughly - well, I would have a vet look for it. Escalation over the last 6 months would make me think in that direction.

Even though I threw in my two cents about the bit, i too would suspect a problem with something other than the bit.

How about the Micklem bridle?
    http://www.williammicklem.com/multibridle.html
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Yeah, try several bitless options first. Some like an english mechanical hackamore, some a Dr. Cook's, some a simple side pull or even bosal.

I'd also have a chiro come out for the once over... The poll, neck or jaw being "out" may be part of the issue.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Hi All,
    Thank you for the replies. Both dentist and the vet said they didn't feel that there were any issues in the jaw however no X-ray ultrasound ect....were done. I had the dentist out a month before the vet. I have a wellness type vet check done every year. Basically its a good go over the whole horse watch them trot both online and free,check legs for any issues. Nothing came up to sound any alarms. Though I have not had a chiro out. When she is turned out this horse moves so wonderful and god she is sassy.

I have tried a few different headstalls and bits (all snaffles). I will go buy a mullum mouth bit over the weekend. And then I try a hackamore though i think she will be to strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    I'd also have a chiro come out for the once over... The poll, neck or jaw being "out" may be part of the issue.
    ^^^ This. And, muscle spasms that a good body worker can work out PRIOR to chiro. If the muscles are not released then they will just pull any adjustment right back to the original spot before adjustment. A torque or twist in the atlas and axis area can cause major spasms which can result in pain upon any movement of the head.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com