The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default previcox alternative?

I've had a horse that had a small injury and has been on previcox for 45 days. It's time for her to come off of it, but her overall comfort and happiness is markedly better on it. Is there anything to give daily to sort of get the same result? I'm looking into Perfegesic and AntiFlam. I figure if there is something that is ok for daily use to help her be comfortable, then she'll just be happier overall
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

My horse has been on previcox daily for the past 2+ years and will be on it as long as he tolerates it. He's also 26 years old.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

they can't be on previcox for that length of time and show under USEF rules so that's why she needs to come off it. My 29 year old trail horse lives on it and I do love it for her also!
    Cornerstone Equestrian

I didnt see any results with AntiFlam. If her injury hasnt healed, why not keep her on the previcox and not show

If it has healed,but you think she is happier with previcox, maybe you need to do some further investigation on why she is better with pain management. If she has something simple like low grade arthritis, adequan, pentosan or legend (etc) may help alleviate some pain.

What kind of injury? Is it arthritis? What about using some injections? Would she tolerate a low dose of bute?

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    they can't be on previcox for that length of time and show under USEF rules so that's why she needs to come off it. My 29 year old trail horse lives on it and I do love it for her also!
    I was just told this is a myth - they just have to be off of it for 24 hours prior to show. Not sure but thought I'd mention.

hm...I'll call USEF and check then. There was a deep bone bruise that has healed so it's not a place that in injectable. We did laser therapy and back on track wraps as well.
    Cornerstone Equestrian

Under USEF rules, Equioxx is permitted to be given for 14 consecutive days, last oral dose >12 hours prior to competing.

I believe it is usually advised to switch from Previcox to actual Equioxx prior to, and during a competition. Also, you need to be aware that the max permitted amount of firocoxib is 45.5 per 1000# - and the usual dose of Previcox is 57, so you need to account for that depending on the size of your horse.

Is there a particular reason why you would switch to Equioxx? Since the drug is the same why would the delivery system matter?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    ... last oral dose >12 hours prior to competing.

I believe it is usually advised to switch from Previcox to actual Equioxx prior to, and during a competition
    Seems like these two statements don't exactly agree.

You're supposed to withhold 12 hours prior to competing...but to use Equioxx during competition?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Seems like these two statements don't exactly agree.

You're supposed to withhold 12 hours prior to competing...but to use Equioxx during competition?
    Firocoxib can be given once every 24 hours, 12 hours prior to competition, so in other words it can be given at 7:59pm every night for classes held at 8am the next day. If your horse shows Fri Sat Sun AM and you give firocoxib Th Fri Sat PM you are giving it "during" competition.

What NorCalDressagw meant was that since using previcox is offlabel for horses there are no concrete guidelines from the USEF for it's use, whereas there are for Equioxx. Therefore it is wise to use Equioxx while at the horseshow and previcox for everything else. Makes sense to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    Firocoxib can be given once every 24 hours, 12 hours prior to competition, so in other words it can be given at 7:59pm every night for classes held at 8am the next day. If your horse shows Fri Sat Sun AM and you give firocoxib Th Fri Sat PM you are giving it "during" competition.

What NorCalDressagw meant was that since using previcox is offlabel for horses there are no concrete guidelines from the USEF for it's use, whereas there are for Equioxx. Therefore it is wise to use Equioxx while at the horseshow and previcox for everything else. Makes sense to me!
    Yes, thank you.

Also, the dosing is easier on the Equioxx tube if you need a more exact amount of mg of firocoxic (which you should if you are competing on it) dosed to your horse.

If you have a horse of 1000# or less, giving the 57mg amount of Previcox (1 small pill, or 1/4 of large pill) is going to be over the permitted amount.