The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Default previcox alternative?

    I've had a horse that had a small injury and has been on previcox for 45 days. It's time for her to come off of it, but her overall comfort and happiness is markedly better on it. Is there anything to give daily to sort of get the same result? I'm looking into Perfegesic and AntiFlam. I figure if there is something that is ok for daily use to help her be comfortable, then she'll just be happier overall
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,482

    Default

    My horse has been on previcox daily for the past 2+ years and will be on it as long as he tolerates it. He's also 26 years old.
    Kristen

    Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    they can't be on previcox for that length of time and show under USEF rules so that's why she needs to come off it. My 29 year old trail horse lives on it and I do love it for her also!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Canada.
    Posts
    6,467

    Default

    I didnt see any results with AntiFlam. If her injury hasnt healed, why not keep her on the previcox and not show

    If it has healed,but you think she is happier with previcox, maybe you need to do some further investigation on why she is better with pain management. If she has something simple like low grade arthritis, adequan, pentosan or legend (etc) may help alleviate some pain.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2006
    Posts
    2,581

    Default

    What kind of injury? Is it arthritis? What about using some injections? Would she tolerate a low dose of bute?



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2007
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    they can't be on previcox for that length of time and show under USEF rules so that's why she needs to come off it. My 29 year old trail horse lives on it and I do love it for her also!
    I was just told this is a myth - they just have to be off of it for 24 hours prior to show. Not sure but thought I'd mention.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    hm...I'll call USEF and check then. There was a deep bone bruise that has healed so it's not a place that in injectable. We did laser therapy and back on track wraps as well.
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2007
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Under USEF rules, Equioxx is permitted to be given for 14 consecutive days, last oral dose >12 hours prior to competing.

    I believe it is usually advised to switch from Previcox to actual Equioxx prior to, and during a competition. Also, you need to be aware that the max permitted amount of firocoxib is 45.5 per 1000# - and the usual dose of Previcox is 57, so you need to account for that depending on the size of your horse.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Posts
    898

    Default

    Is there a particular reason why you would switch to Equioxx? Since the drug is the same why would the delivery system matter?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 1, 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    ... last oral dose >12 hours prior to competing.

    I believe it is usually advised to switch from Previcox to actual Equioxx prior to, and during a competition
    Seems like these two statements don't exactly agree.

    You're supposed to withhold 12 hours prior to competing...but to use Equioxx during competition?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec. 5, 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Seems like these two statements don't exactly agree.

    You're supposed to withhold 12 hours prior to competing...but to use Equioxx during competition?
    Firocoxib can be given once every 24 hours, 12 hours prior to competition, so in other words it can be given at 7:59pm every night for classes held at 8am the next day. If your horse shows Fri Sat Sun AM and you give firocoxib Th Fri Sat PM you are giving it "during" competition.

    What NorCalDressagw meant was that since using previcox is offlabel for horses there are no concrete guidelines from the USEF for it's use, whereas there are for Equioxx. Therefore it is wise to use Equioxx while at the horseshow and previcox for everything else. Makes sense to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2007
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    Firocoxib can be given once every 24 hours, 12 hours prior to competition, so in other words it can be given at 7:59pm every night for classes held at 8am the next day. If your horse shows Fri Sat Sun AM and you give firocoxib Th Fri Sat PM you are giving it "during" competition.

    What NorCalDressagw meant was that since using previcox is offlabel for horses there are no concrete guidelines from the USEF for it's use, whereas there are for Equioxx. Therefore it is wise to use Equioxx while at the horseshow and previcox for everything else. Makes sense to me!
    Yes, thank you.

    Also, the dosing is easier on the Equioxx tube if you need a more exact amount of mg of firocoxic (which you should if you are competing on it) dosed to your horse.

    If you have a horse of 1000# or less, giving the 57mg amount of Previcox (1 small pill, or 1/4 of large pill) is going to be over the permitted amount.



Similar Threads

  1. Bute vs. Previcox vs. ?
    By SquishTheBunny in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug. 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
  2. Previcox?
    By red's girl in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: Dec. 24, 2011, 12:18 AM
  3. Previcox
    By katyb in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Oct. 27, 2011, 05:21 PM
  4. Previcox
    By kgro632 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Aug. 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
  5. getting previcox
    By murphyluv in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Dec. 21, 2009, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness