The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charles Owen Color?

I thought I'd consult you guys on my helmet purchase

I've previous Charles Owen helmets, love them, they fit my oval head well. I'm upgrading to an AYR8 and I'm trying to decide between black/silver and black/black. I want to avoid the reflection that some people have mentioned with the silver stripe, but does anybody have any opinions or experiences with color?

Thanks!

Black/Black is always classic and will complement any color hunt coat and color of horse. Personally, I have the Black/Black. Depending upon what discipline you show [i.e. hunters/eq or jumpers] and what color hunt coat you have, I absolutely love the Midnight/Midnight...quite elegant. Haven't seen it in person, but I also love the new Brown/Gold, perhaps since I am obsessed with all brown apparel.

Enjoy your helmet!

Default I have the black/black and I love it!

You can definitely see a bit of subtle contrast even in the black/black, just not as much as the black/silver. The middle section with the vents looks slightly lighter than the sides of the helmet. Bit different from the GR8, but I really like it! You can see it in this photo. A friend of mine has the midnight/midnight, and it really does look fantastic with the right horse and coat.

I've only ever seen the silver/silver while shopping and at a couple shows last summer, and it wasn't my thing. But I've never liked the split colour CO's anyways.

I have the AYR8 leather-look in black/black. You can definitely tell that the stripe is there, but it's not reflective. It just depends on your discipline.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

I have a black/black, and as others said there is a difference in color/texture, just much less than the silver. Its not THAT much difference, but you can definitely see it. I had a hard time deciding too haha but I'm very happy with the black. If it was for schooling/jumpers/local shows only I'd probably have gone with the silver but I wanted the black if I ever do rated hunters.

I have black/black and it almost looks like a dark grey down the middle. It still looks classy, but not completely black like a gr8 does. I think the black/black would look fine in any ring, which is why I chose it. Even my picky, super traditional trainer is fine with it!

Black on black all the way. But if you do the jumpers you can get away with the silver, IMO.

Black/Black is safest! Looks good with anything, and you can get away with it in everything! I've always had my eye on the blue/grey one they have though... If only!