The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Wow. That was a beautiful quote. Thank you Jenn.
    You Strike Me Still

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

Don't know if anyone's read this or not - it's rather obscure - but it's achingly, beautifully written: Helmet of Flesh by Scott Symons, published in 1986 by mcLelland and Stewart.

I don't know that one Heidi!

My favourite gay themed book has got to be The Front Runner by Patricia Neil Warren. Beautiful book, although sad. Hayden should probably read it if its in his library.
    You Strike Me Still

My book - your Alice. Seems like an even trade to me.

GURL!! We need to talk. Where is your sense of gay fashion? LOL!

Just kidding. I just had to flame out there for a minute. (I thought we needed some levity.)

Honestly, I admire you greatly Jair. The courage, strength and surety of self that post took is immense. The GL&TY need more role models such as yourself. (In fact all single gay horsemen need boyfriends such as yourself.) And ladies, it is just as hard for us to find attractive, nice single men in the horse world.

Now I have gotten way off topic.

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Oh no Heidi, you will have to get in line with the rest of us for Alice... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Okay, so maybe you are closer in distance..

Jair, good people have good lives. You are GOOD people, and hopefully one of these days we can meet you. Thanks for being on this BB. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm not the only one who noted your plaid fashion faux pas! Here's a rhyme for you - Jair, glad to be plaid. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Tell you what, I'll give you my book, and throw in Hans' Prada shoes and suit from the winter 2000 collection if you send Alice to me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I don't think so!! Not on this board anyways! Right Heidi? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But yes, we do try not to go overboard considering our good consortium of great juniors!

And the plaid is from the Gap Missy! So there! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But seriously, thank you for you words BronkBusterTX. You will find that there are so many great people here on the BB! I had no idea until I started posting, that a forum could be such a great place to meet wonderful people! Stick around and you'll get to special people like Heidi even better!

(and no, Alice for a book is not an even trade! But nice try Heidikins!)
    You Strike Me Still

I forgot to put the name of the book and the author. The book is Magic's Pawn, by Mercedes Lackey. This is a great book! Read it!

I'm assuming Alice is a horse?

Anyway....

Alice was the best Christmas present we all got this year [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Truly, Jair, it is about time you posted new pics of her.

Jair is a two horse horseman as of this recent holiday past and Alice is the envy of most of us.

Naturally, we are just being supportive having excellent equines of our own. At least we all thought so until Jair posted the
    ONE picture! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

You're funny Wingsy!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You know considering the reaction dear Alice got to her one picture, I'm afraid to post anymore of them - I wouldn't want to ruin her image! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    You Strike Me Still

but along the same lines. The following is from Newsweek, Feb. 1, 2001, p. 10, a short piece titled "Monkey Don't Ask, Monkey Don't Tell"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Amsterdam may be well known for its coffee-houses, but they're hardly the most eye-opening thing the city has to offer anymore. Artis Zoo is running what it calls "gayded tours," on which you may happen upon animals engaged in same-sex acts. But don't buy a plane ticket just yet. The tour is not a peep show, but more something you'd see on the Discovery Channel (Very late at night.) Zoo director Maarten Frankenhuis says his aim is to educate people about opportunistic homosexuality in the animal kingdom. The tour -- which costs $12, the regular zoo admission fee --makes eight stops and lasts more than an hour. (It's by appointment only.) At one attraction, the Children's Farm, visitors can view "young bulls with a preference for their own sex even in the presence of willing females," says Frankenhuis. "We get mostly gay people and mothers with their sons after they've just come out." Dolphins, porpoises, whales, flamingos, elephants, chimps, gorillas -- two by two, there's a veritable ark full of animals who exhibit homosexual behavior, says Frankenhuis, adding that young male goats, when expelled from their family at sexual maturity, will start to mate with each other. "This is when there are no females available. Like in English boarding schools." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That last sentence is clearly tongue-in-cheek, but the point is there -- homosexuality is part of nature, not something to fear or despise.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

You've made my day! YOU'RE MY HERO! I, too, have been struggling with my sexuality for what seems like forever (only a few years, in reality) and have often thought of suicide. You know what saved me? Horses. Yeah, I know that sounds chessy, but it's true. Without them, I truly believe that I wouldn't be here right now. Just to think about them now makes me smile and thank my lucky stars that they don't care who I spend the rest of my life with. They were there for me with I "came-out" to my mom, and the rest of my family. They were there for me with my father rejected me as who I am as a person and told me that "this is just a phase." They are going to be there when I "come-out" to my older brother this summer (he lives in Arizona right now and I don't want to tell him over the phone). The point I am trying to make is that no matter what, horses will always love me for being ME. Not a fake person who can't be herself because she's afaird to. ( Which is what I would feel like if I couldn't tell the horses in the barn that I am a lesbian.)
    It took a lot of guts and courage to have said what you said, Jair, and I thank you with my all my heart. You've made me glad to be a part of this awesome BB and I am so glad to have the pleasure of meeting so many open-minded people here. Thank You, everyone!
    " it's not how long you are here, but what you do while you're here." ( From "RENT", hit musical from 1996.
    *Hope this makes sense* Sorry for the rambling!

I don't post here very often, but was happy to be told about this thread. You are very courageous, Jair.

All of you juniors who are so supportive, please consider joining your high school's Gay-Straight Alliance. It's NOT just for gay people. It is just what it says, an alliance between people of any sexual preference. There are a lot of young gay men and women who could use your support in person.

It takes courage to join or even start a GSA, but it will be very rewarding in terms of personal growth for you and for those who need your support in your own real communities, rather than just this virtual community. Help change the world--it just takes a small group of committed people to make our world a better place.

Boogey on dudes
    Boogey on dudes

United States..Jr. Clique...the moon..where the weather is always perfect:)

Many of you probably don't know I even exist on this BB but I wanted to let you know I am proud to be a part of it. You all stand up for one anouther when times are hard and you also know how to joke and have fun.
    ~EM

Lately I've been spending way to much time on a board where too many people hide behind anonymous postings and sling cr*p at each other. The hatred on that board is tangible. Then I come home to the COTH BB and sigh in absolute joy and relief at the open-minded love-in going on here.

Jair, my favorite book for years has been The Front Runner! It was so helpful when I was trying to learn all about homosexuality when people in my college circle started coming out. Billy Sive.... a hero for all time. Maybe NOW they'll finally make the movie??

My favorite quote:

You can be anybody that you want to be
    You can love whomever you will
    You can travel any country where your heart leads
    And know I will love you still.

You can live by yourself
    You can gather friends around
    You can choose one special one
    And the only measure of your worth and your deeds
    Will be the love left behind when your gone

Some girls grow up strong and bold
    Some boys quiet and kind
    Some race on ahead
    Some follow behind
    Some grow in their own space and time.

Some women love women and
    Some men love men
    Some raise children and
    Some never do
    You can dream all the day
    Never reaching the end
    Of everything possible for you.

"Everything Possible" is a lullaby that was commissioned by a lesbian when she realized there were no gay-themed songs to sing to her son. It was also the signature song of the Flirtations (a gay group).

Group hug and second verse of Kum-ba-ya
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

now doesn't that sound wierd? (Please try and keep an open mind, you guys! Why does it sound wierd?)
    Seriously, Jair, I'm going to have to look for you in the local shows, you leftcoaster you, so I can shake your hand.

As much as I love Red Green, whose uniform you seem to resemble, it really doesn't matter to me how straight or gay or butch or femme a person wants to appear. The rest of your eloquent post proves it is NOT clothes that make the man, or woman,and that is another one of the things I love about English horsesports. We all dress the same. And man or woman, we all compete on an equal basis. Wish t'were so in the rest of our world.
    :* (ok, we don't have a smilie for a kiss, so there it is!)

The Tag at the top of the page says FAQ and is for Freguently Asked Questions. My FAQ is Who cares.
    This is a HORSE bb not a S.x BB.
    To help a teen ager realize that there are straights I'll play along. To help a 27 yr old whatever (I am not making a PC incorrect statement, I'm avoiding that) pat himself on the back I draw the line.
    Go back into your closet or whatever. I don't brag about my life don't brag about yours. And be very sure you follow the rules of civil society that apply to ALL men and women when in public. I'm no prude but straight or other wise don't flaunt it tastelessly.

Because homosexuality is perceived as such a moral sin in our society that a 15 year old is contemplating suicide as a 'remedy' to his possible homosexuality. And I don't know about you but I think it is a TRAGEDY that the suicide rate is 4x greater among gay youth than among their heterosexual peers.

Why should we care? Because gays and lesbians continue to be beaten, insulted, condemned, ostracized, subject to prejudice, social and legal injustices; and beaten to death.

Don't mistake Jair's post as a self-aggrandizing pat on the back. It's rather ridiculous that you would interpret his post as a self satisfied act. His motivations were compassion, concern and empathy. And in reality, it would have been a hell of a lot easier for him to remain silent than opening himself to criticism such as you express.

BTW, I am astounded that you interpret this thread and Jair's original post as blatantly sexual; that you would further accuse him of bragging and ill manners is shocking. The only tasteless thing on this entire thread is your post.

[This message was edited by heidi on Feb. 17, 2001 at 03:56 PM.]