The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Jair - You are a true inspiration to many....and you know I love you bunches! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Jair-you're amazing.
    I have been blessed to have been raised by two very open minded parents. When I was young I started foxhunting, there were several gay couples who hunted and still do. To me they were like a married couple and I never thought otherwise. My parents never gave me the opportunity to think they were "different" A couple of years ago two of my coaches(not horse related) divorced their husbands and moved in together. Everyone knew they were lesbians and many of the teenagers had difficulties with it. They often criticized me because these two people were my friends and that never changed. Many of my friends couldn't accept they fact that homosexuality is normal. I am still at times criticized for my relationship with these women-I house sit for them, am good friends with them, the same as before, but many of my friends will no longer associate with them. I have many gay and lesbian friends and they are great. I love them for who they are and wish everyone would be as accepting of diversity as everyone on here is.Ya'll are all amazing.

Just so you know, the name is after those toys...well really their slogan, one I try to emulate in my riding and my everyday life.
    "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

It's an honor to be a part of this BB and to be friends with many of you.
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

There are times when I love this board and all of you people, none of whom I know! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Such a beautiful thread. It gives me hope that the world, she is a changin.

My hat is off to everyone who has posted in this thread.

Jair I really appreciate what you said! Two of my best friends in the world are bi and I was the first person one of them came out to and she was terrified - even now hardly anyone knows and it's very very hard for her. I've known people who were gay before - trainers - show people - but somehow when it's my best friends I take everything people say a little more seriously - like people who use 'gay' or whatever as an insult - becuase it's not! I once had to stand up and say that to a teacher who persisted in labelling people as 'gay' or 'homos' for things they said/wore and I just got so upset b/c it's not fair for them to have to deal with that!

Anyways, thanks for posting what you did - hugs to you and I think it's really cool you trusted us all enough to post that for us to read - I may print it out for my friends.

BTW good luck with Alice!!!

Sarah * AKA "Regal's Person"
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

You had a TEACHER who said that ?!! Was the administration ever told about this? That's totally unacceptable.

Rags, sounds like you understand things pretty well. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Kids and teens can be very cruel, whether they mean to be or not, and most of the time they don't realize what effect their words might have. You just have to try to remember that when you're talking to them, and maybe try to remind them that careless words can still hurt.

Regal, any teacher who says those things should be reported to the school administration immediately. Who knows what effect such negative things could have on the young people in the class, who might not see that the teacher is a major league jerk. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Heidi, your friend Jim, my friend Frank -- same terribly sad story. I miss him. It's a terrible thing that he spent his life in fear because he, wrongly I very much believe, thought he couldn't be honest with people about who he was. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Thank goodness things have changed and continue to change! As much as we complain about TV and the movies, TV shows like "Will & Grace" and movies like "My Best Friend's Wedding" show the world that gay and lesbian people are just regular people. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Jair, Mon Ami....

I have always adored gay men over the straight men. Way more secure in their beliefs even if inwardly struggling. It's not easy to go through life "not like the rest". I know, all my life I have been overweight. While the two are not one in the same, the world still views you as "different" and you get treated by many unfairly. I have been so lucky in my life to have good friends who have NOT judged me by my appearance that it taught me early on NOT to judge others by any of their beliefs, appearances or sexuality. I would never give up a single one of my "gay" friends just to be thin or have someone think better of me. Those that have stuck with me in the bad times will ALWAYS be with me in the good. I wish more people had the strength to be that way and not worry what their "other friends" would say. I wish you much love and happiness in your and your partners life.

You almost made me cry Kennett Square, mon cherie.

Thank you jreventer, Maria, DQwanabe, Portia for your words. Thanks too to Rags and Regalmeans - how nice to hear that sort of sentiment from the younger generation.

I am at a loss to express how you are all making me feel. But I feel compelled to thank everyone personally each time you contribute to this thread [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] although I am starting to feel embarassed at such kindness [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] and don't know what to say anymore.

Too bad Robby is away - he would know what to say!!
    You Strike Me Still

Both of you are extremely eloquent.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Jair

Alice knows you are special but she will keep you humble and on your toes!!!

My younger brother was a fabulous rider- natural balance and a gift for allowing difficult horses to bloom. As I look back, I think his gift for working with horses had a lot to do with his own inner struggles. When he was on a horse, they both looked so free.

He died of aids three years ago and I still cannot believe he is gone. There were stretches in his life when he withdrew from his family. I did not know until he was very sick. It still leaves a great sadness.

You are very lucky that you have found your voice and that you have found a way to speak and a way to stay connected. My brother stopped riding after high school. I will always wonder if his illness would have been easier to bear if he could have been able to keep his connections with horses who really loved him and accepted him for who he was inside.

What a lovely thing to say Sharon. I could cry now.

You see, Jair is my brother, and I couldn't bare to think of something happening to him. Thank you for sharing your story.

I only found this thread today (my brother neglected to mention it) and I can't say enough about the people here who are responding to it with such compassion, genuineness and shear class.

I'm going to have to visit my brother tonight just so I can give him a hug! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Puffin - Give him an extra hug from all of us.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Okay, first the background. My school is having a school-wide "Beauty" project for the new IB program. For my Spanish 1 class, we were asked to cut out a picture of something that we considered beautiful-and then to write a few sentences about why it is beauty and how its related to spanish.

Well, seeing as it is a first year class, and I am seriously lacking in most grammer and vocabulary, I decided that the best thing to do would be to cut out a picture of Ricky Martin. I could say that he is very good looking, and that he is from Puerto Rico. That I could handle.

Well, we all taped our pictures onto large sheets of paper and posted them in the hallway. Today, I'm walking past the picture, and someone had written FAG across the front of it! It really made me angry. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I am by no means a big Ricky Martin fan (Especially not that new song! Ick!) but I do think he's good looking and I thought that would be a good picture to use! Some people.... Ugh!

You have a great brother! Please give him a hug especially from me, too!!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Spunky
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

This is another Kumbaya moment brought to you by the COTH BB members!
    There is so much hate and venom in this world and on the web. It is good to know that there are good people everywhere. Jair - hats off to you for making your post. I think it was a pretty brave thing to do, especially in this day and age!
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

In absolute awe of your honesty and bravery, Jair. You should be so very very proud of yourself.

Since I'm not nearly as eloquent as the rest of you, I'll let a quote from a book written by one of my favorite authors do the talking.
    Note: the word "shay'a'chern" in this book means gay.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    "I know the natural world as only one who wishes to restore it to its rightful balances can. This is the thing I wish to tell you; in all the world, there are more creatures than just man that make lifetime matings. Among them, some of the noblest - wolves, swans, geese, the great raptors - all creatures man could do worse to emulate, in many, many ways. And with all of them, all, there are those pairings, from time to time, within the same gender. Not often, but not unheard of either."
    Vanyel found himself unable to move, and unable to anticipate the direction this was taking.
    Now Moondance dropped his eyes to catch and hold Vanyels in a joining of glances and wills that was unbreakable.
    "There is in you a fear, a shame, placed there by your own doubts and the thoughts of one who knew no better. I tell you to think on this: the shay'a'chern pairing occurs in nature. How then, 'unnatural'? Usual, no; and not desirable for the species, else it would die out for lack of offspring. But not unnatural. The beasts of the fields are innocent as man can never be, who has the knowledge of good and evil and the choice between, and they do not cast out of their ranks the shay'a'chern. There was between you and your partner much love - only love. There is no shame in loving."
    "This I think I have learned: where there is love, the form does not matter, and the gods are pleased. This I have observed: what occurs in nature, comes by the hand of nature, and if the gods did not approve, it would not be there. I give you these things as food for your heart and mind."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>