The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

So off I went to Spruce Meadows to watch Anky do her demos on Junior. I have to say that he is a nice horse but he didn't blow my mind. VERY obedient and looks happy in his work. He took all of the big jumps that were in his way in stride and had a good look at the big crowd.

To those of you wondering, yes, Anky did all of the movements with a very deep neck on Junior. Even his piaffe was done very deep and I think (in my most humble opinion) he could have lowered his croup a bit more if she had allowed his poll to come up a bit more.

The best thing about Anky though was that she speaks so well to the crowd. The people that generally go to Spruce Meadows are a mixture of families wanting to see pretty horses jump, to those who are fairly educated in the sport of show jumping, to riders in the area that one day aspire to be in that big ring. Anky wowed all of these people with her humour and charisma. If nothing else I think it is great for dressage to gain public recognitian, maybe next time we approach a prospective sponsor they will have heard of the sport called dressage. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by cortez on Oct. 12, 2001 at 06:17 PM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Dec. 10, 2001 at 10:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Dec. 10, 2001 at 10:29 AM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Aug. 13, 2002 at 09:50 AM.]

So off I went to Spruce Meadows to watch Anky do her demos on Junior. I have to say that he is a nice horse but he didn't blow my mind. VERY obedient and looks happy in his work. He took all of the big jumps that were in his way in stride and had a good look at the big crowd.

To those of you wondering, yes, Anky did all of the movements with a very deep neck on Junior. Even his piaffe was done very deep and I think (in my most humble opinion) he could have lowered his croup a bit more if she had allowed his poll to come up a bit more.

The best thing about Anky though was that she speaks so well to the crowd. The people that generally go to Spruce Meadows are a mixture of families wanting to see pretty horses jump, to those who are fairly educated in the sport of show jumping, to riders in the area that one day aspire to be in that big ring. Anky wowed all of these people with her humour and charisma. If nothing else I think it is great for dressage to gain public recognitian, maybe next time we approach a prospective sponsor they will have heard of the sport called dressage. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by cortez on Oct. 12, 2001 at 06:17 PM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Dec. 10, 2001 at 10:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Dec. 10, 2001 at 10:29 AM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Aug. 13, 2002 at 09:50 AM.]

that "deep" is really just hanging on the reins at the upper levels?

It's not that he could have just "lowered" his croup more. It's that he was not engaged, connected, and "through."

It's wonderful that she speaks well to the crowd, but so does Monty Roberts and he's the biggest charleton there is.

I personally consider riding a horse cranked in to be, well, cruel. My impulse when I see people riding the way Ankey does is to go grab the reins and yank them out about a foot. If the horse is that far behind vertical the rider is NOT using her seat or her legs adequately. Can't be. If she were the horse's head would be elevated and he'd be stepping forward underneath himself. Short reins and a cranked in head block forward impulse before it is even generated. Period.

I do think at a huge venue like Spruce Meadows where 30,000 or more people would be watching Anky, including some pretty influential sponsors, it can only be good for the visibility of the sport. She entertains. Sponsors like to be entertained. And yes, I do place importance on sponsorship for shows because I have watched what the Southerns have done with Spruce Meadows over the last few decades. Wouldn't it be something to have a top quality tournament in dressage in Canada like the three that Spruce puts on for Jumpers? It would be cool! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by cortez on Sep. 20, 2001 at 07:02 PM.]

I think she must have done something right in the past several years to have won several major world competitions. I always have found her a pleasure to watch. She was always in perfect harmony with Bonfire, although I always felt that he moved with way too much knee action, looked like a Hackney pulling a carrage. I really loved watching Isabell and Gigolo. They looked like they were in their own world in front of those huge crowds. Just my humble, dont know that much about Dressage opinion. Other than the Dressage we manage to do to survive at our events, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Her contact with Junior's mouth NEVER looked hard. Not once - so I would disagree that he was "hanging" on her hands. But to each their own opinion.

Three of us went to see Anky and Junior perform, never was the contact harsh, at the trot and canter, there was quite a bit of give in the reins. Anky was definately not hanging onto the horse's mouth
    Proud Rubenesquestrian!

\"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up

Obviously Anky's been doing something right over the last several years. But then I am just a hunter and eq rider venturing over to the dressage forum....what do *I* know about dressage?

~*~Erin B~*~
    Have you hugged your horse today?
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)

I hope one day to ride as 'poorly' as Anky...

I happened to get some half way decent pictures with my digital. I hope you guys don't mind me sharing. I enjoyed watching it both Saturday and Sunday. I got to watch the Nation's Cup on Saturday but didn't get to watch any of the jumping on Sunday even though I was there. I spend until 2:30 helping at a booth and well, there were no seats to be found. My hubby did get some candid shots of Anky riding the chestnut around as well.

Anky on the chestnut. Did anyone ever hear who the chestnut was???

[This message was edited by PaulaM on Sep. 10, 2001 at 01:04 AM.]

Thanks for posting your beautiful pictures.

There is so much misunderstanding regarding deep, and it's something that cannot be adequately explained on a bulletin board. You really need to watch and listen to people who are doing it CORRECTLY to understand when and how to use it. It can be a cruel method if applied incorrectly, but so can anthing else applied incorrectly. I think that the proof of Anky's correctness is in the beauty with which her horses move and the willingness with which they perform. The horses tell the story.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

That's all. Maybe she ISN'T pulling. Not worth arguing. She still needs to grow some guts and give her horse his head. That's my opinion and it's based on what the Old Dead Guys say, not on what some up and coming superstar is selling.

Steve Solomom writes (in a gardening book of all things) "The disappearance of old books would be okay if the new stuff were better and wiser, but usually the opposite is the case. I have observed this tendency in every area of scholarship I have taken up seriously. As the sort of person Sir Albert Howard calls 'the laboratory hermit...someone who knows more and more about less and less' increasingly comes to dominate ever-wider areas of scholarship, the focus of scholarship gets ever narrower and less wise."

It is not that the flexion itself is evil, it is that it is a sign that the impul;sion generated is not matching the contraint taken by the rider. If a horse is overbent he is conclusively being ridden front to back. Period.

From John Richard Young-

"This flexion of the poll, with the 'break' occurring just behind the ears, is a very different reaction than the fault of arching the entire neck. In arching the entire neck the horse brings his head in low nearer his breast. Since this necessitates lowering his head, the horse shifts more weight onto his forehand; he thus becomes heavy in front, which is the exact opposite of the balanced lightness flexion seeks to achieve."

That would explain the lack of lowered croups as well as the pervasive "double-dipping" (making TWO beats with each hind foot for each forefoot beat in the piaffer and yes, even in the passage) exhibited by World Cup horses.

one can tell how hard the contact really is on a horse being ridden on contact? I'd imagine his nose is cranked shut, since that seems to be the fashion, and that alone tells me that the horse is not supple and relaxed- can't relax aND SOFTEN THE JAW IF IT'S CRANKED SHUT. Darn caplocks.

when this book, Noel Jackson's Effective Horsemanship was published stated, with regard to the passage, that "The neck should be RAISED and gracefully arched with the poll as the highest point, and the head close to perpendicular."

If NObody is doing it "right" then the judges are forced to choose from among those who do it wrong the best.

Nice to hear from you Jen but you do seem to be having a conversation with yourself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://communities.msn.ca/KristinSaunders/PhotoAlbums

Maybe we could get Jen to do a "proper" demonstration on her own horse at next years Spruce Meadows tournament!

LOL Robbie--you do indeed rock! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

Well neighsayer, it has to be very lonely in Gaston, Oregon.

I am fascinated my those that though entitled to their opinions, find ease in criticising the "best" of our time. I, myself, would need credentials, or some proof that this person might be able to practice what they preach. Or maybe they are just good at reading books and interpreting the "written" word.

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"