The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My vintage tack purchase of the day!

The seller (and originally myself too) thought it was your basic flat hunt bridle. Then I started looking for a makers mark, and discovered it was stamped "Japan". Hmmmm...never saw any tack from Japan. It's obviously well crafted & made of very good leather! It sure ought to hold up to everyday schooling! After some further scrutiny and internet prowling, I'm thinking it might be a Japanese military bridle!
    Cindy

I'm curious why a Japanese military bridle would be stamped with "Japan" in English? I'd expect that to mean it was made for export at some point.

Surely you know better than to tease us with tales of cool tack and not share pictures?! I LOVE flat bridles and wish I could find one that's narrower than a hunt bridle. I used to have one like that and kick myself for selling it!

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I'm curious why a Japanese military bridle would be stamped with "Japan" in English? I'd expect that to mean it was made for export at some point.

Good Point! I wonder if there's any way to figure out where it was actually manufactured? It's certainly comparable to the quality British made strapgoods from 30+ years ago or earlier. I stopped thinking of it as a hunt bridle, but maybe it really is? It has the wide flat noseband, the extra heavy leather, and the cheekpieces, etc are all wider than your traditional english "show" bridle. I don't have the reins (yet), but I'm told there is a pelham bit on them, and the reins are a wider, laced rein. The leather itself is not dark havana, but a dark chestnut color.
    Cindy

I remember when new bridles were bridle tan and became dark chestnut with years of oil and use.

Then "Havana" was invented to speed the process!

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    Surely you know better than to tease us with tales of cool tack and not share pictures?! I LOVE flat bridles and wish I could find one that's narrower than a hunt bridle. I used to have one like that and kick myself for selling it!
    I can't post photos here, but just as soon as I slap a coat of oil on it & upload some photos to webshots - I'll post a link! I did discover it's an oversized, and will NEVER fit my TB I guess it will be go on permanent display in the living room with all of the other cool tack pieces I have no use for (kineton noseband, vintage Crosby german martingale, etc).
    Cindy

There was alot of tack made in Japan in the 70's and before. It was a better quality than a lot of the tack made in England today. I still have two flat hunt bridles that were made in Japan that are 40 years old and still in great shape. The ones I have are Maycraft brand and passed many Pony Club inspections in the 70"s. I love my vintage tack and clothing, it was made to last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I remember when new bridles were bridle tan and became dark chestnut with years of oil and use.

Then "Havana" was invented to speed the process!
    I'm sure this one was originally "bridle tan". When I oiled it tonight, it became a lovely dark havana color!
    Cindy