The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to look for employees for breeding farm?

Having a hard time finding someone who wants to care for breeding mares and young horses. Most people want to head south for the winter. Where do you guys find good employees for your breeding farms? I have checked out yard and groom. Any other ideas?

Advertise on regional websites (such as USDF Regions) and in sporthorse magazines, like Flying Changes. Also, contact all the colleges that have any kind of equestrian program. They love to help place their graduates!

Don't keep it too local. I would have happily moved across the country for an opportunity like this when I was younger and unnattached!

Checking out the graduates of equestrian programs is a good option. I would suggest, however, that you check out the equestrian program to see if it meshes with your philosphy of horse management/training. Not all programs are the same; so, you might want to do a bit of research. Just my humble opinion.

Be the kind of employer you'd like to work for. Decent pay, time off, and if you're offering living facilities, make sure they're actually livable.

StG

Yard & Groom! I have found my good people there.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

Quote Originally Posted by Rosies mom View Post
    Checking out the graduates of equestrian programs is a good option. I would suggest, however, that you check out the equestrian program to see if it meshes with your philosphy of horse management/training. Not all programs are the same; so, you might want to do a bit of research. Just my humble opinion.
    This! I am the assistant professor for the Equine Reproduction class at a local college and we frequently have students looking for jobs or internships.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHillFarm View Post
    This! I am the assistant professor for the Equine Reproduction class at a local college and we frequently have students looking for jobs or internships.
    Sending you a pm

Where are you located?

Advertise for upper level pony club members with the region where you are located ... your HB and HA members can normally handle a horse quite well!

Thus far, I have only been able to figure out where NOT to find people!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Whatever you do be sure you candidate(s) are supremely quiet/patient individuals, especially if they will be working around or handling foals and weanlings. These human experiences last a lifetime.

I had the unfortunate experience years ago (two times) of finding out that behind my back a couple of people were quite aggressive -- damned near ruined two of my youngsters in the trust department.

If you suddenly see a youngster responding differently (for instance avoiding being caught/haltered or aggressive at feeding), act quickly. They don't change behavior suddenly for no reason..

One person I caught in the act -- the other I "set up" and caught. Both were head hitters and one also thought the most efficient way to move a baby around when picking a stall was to chase them a with manure fork)

Fired them both on the spot. Regaining trust was hard and to this day they are still wary of strangers, unlike all of my other babies.