The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Field Boots: I need help-nothing fits! Ideas?

I have worn through my dearly beloved Ariat Crowne Pro (non-zip) field boots. I love them (probably because they are so comfy now). But...show-worthy, they are not.

I orderd Tredstep Donatellos, and they are too short and too big around the knee (though they fit my 15" calves quite nicely, and the foot/ankle area is great too).

I need a taller boot (though nothing dramatic--probably a 1/2-1" taller), and one that fits better around the knee. I'd like to spend under $500. There is only one tack store that sells a variety of FBs in my area--Ariat, and customs, essentially.

So, dear COTHrs, help me find the ideal boot. I am not averse to customs--my barn mate ordered La Mundials (I think) for $600 and loves them, so I might save up for those).

I'd like them to be pretty "hardwearing" because I wear them to ride in 3 days a week, but only show 5 times a year. Can't afford to have "show only boots".
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Have you tried these? They are very nice quality leather for the money

http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=2777

CC, I got some Gran Torinos that fit MY 15.25'' calves, and I just had the tops taken in. Love the way they fit now. Foot bed is a little long, but not uncomfortably so and they ride fine.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

De Niro! I love mine!

I got the Tredstones and they fit awesome. Be warned though, I ended up with a tall and I'm short. They fit beautifully after the ankle slide and now sit right on the bottom of my knee (the store measured them so that they looked way tall and over my knee but it allowed for the slip)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I LOVE my treadstones!! They are hands down the most comfortable, high quality boot I've ever owned (and I've owned a LOT). I did have a nightmare buying them though...

I tried on a pair from a vendor at a show. Loved them, but I thought they were a tad bit too tight in the foot. They were 7.5 x-wides. I decided to get an 8 x-wide, they had to order and shipped it to me. The boots came in, and I tried them on around 8 pm. I COULD NOT come close to zipping them. I don't know how I wore 7.5s fine, but the 8s were too small. I called the tack shop the next morning, explained my problem, she told me to put them on again now in the morning, that our legs swell naturally throughout the day. Sure enough, I slipped the books right on and they were TOO BIG! Shipped them back, went back to the 7.5s that are just a little tight in the foot.

They are great boots, but they do seem to vary from size to size more than other brands, so make sure you get to try them all on!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I have worn through my dearly beloved Ariat Crowne Pro (non-zip) field boots. I love them (probably because they are so comfy now). But...show-worthy, they are not.
    Do you care if they're new or used? PM me....I might have a pair I would part with.

I got some La Mundial boots and I love mine. Although I did read a thread here not too long ago about some people having some issues with them and long waits...

What are your measurements? Take a string and measure what you need in different places. That might help us match something a bit better
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

If you like Tredstep, the da Vinci comes in tall, and is under $500. http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/tredst...x?cm_vc=Search

Here's the size chart - http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/Produc...ctClassId=9484

What size Crowne Pro do you need? I have a pair that settled in the ankle and are now too short for me. I think they are a 81/2 MW, but can check if that sounds close. I keep them in the trailer as a back up pair for showing, but don't use them.

My Donatellos are coming today! I think they're making them in tall soon...Tredsteps are so comfy! My old boots are Mountain Horse - they fit perfectly out of the box and didn't need any breaking in. Didn't drop at all though. I'd recommend looking into others in the Tredstep line like Raphael and Da Vinci - both come in Tall. (I am waiting for a Michelangelo style for them to complete the Ninja Turtles/Renaissance artists line).

I tried on a pair of Tredstones and later realized it wasn't even leather. It was at some tack outlet for like $65 though so I probably shouldn't have even taken the bait. I've been warned of Tredstones actual leather products because of being made in India though.

I had the same problem with the Donatellos and a whole bunch of other boots. The back zip Ariat Volants fit my legs nicely, wide enough for the calf but not big around the knee. My only other option was a men's boot and I decided it was too big in the heel.