The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

9/11

Anybody whose family lived in a large European city during the Second World War has a collective memory of far worse destruction than occurred on 9/11. No matter which side you were on the Luftwaffe/RAF/USAF/Soviet Air Force all made serious repeated attempts to bomb their enemy's cities into submission.

Horrific as the events of 9/11 were, they were minor league stuff compared with night after night after night bombing of London, Coventry, Dresden, Hamburg and so forth.

19 fanatics willing to kill themselves and 3000 other innocent people, spending an estimated $500,000, brought the most powerful nation on earth to a standstill for four days. Not even Emperor Hirohito managed that.

So 9/11 hasn't changed me at all.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by His Greyness:
    9/11

Anybody whose family lived in a large European city during the Second World War has a collective memory of far worse destruction than occurred on 9/11. No matter which side you were on the Luftwaffe/RAF/USAF/Soviet Air Force all made serious repeated attempts to bomb their enemy's cities into submission.

Horrific as the events of 9/11 were, they were minor league stuff compared with night after night after night bombing of London, Coventry, Dresden, Hamburg and so forth.

19 fanatics willing to kill themselves and 3000 other innocent people, spending an estimated $500,000, brought the most powerful nation on earth to a standstill for four days. Not even Emperor Hirohito managed that.

So 9/11 hasn't changed me at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you. I am glad it hasn't.

You are wrong. It is MAJOR league stuff for most people posting on this message board. Why would you post a post like that? You must be one of the more insensative people here, besides timedjumpoff.

I would like to point out the reason you are alive today and able to post this on the Internet was because of America's existance back in those WW II days..

Cheers

-----
    http://www.catchride.com
    http://forums.catchride.com
    -----

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LURKNNOMORE:
    She is an inspiration. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I see a Strait Jacket in TJO's future!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darkerhorse:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Desdemona*:

What drugs are you on???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

..Not the right ones?

-----
    http://www.catchride.com
    http://forums.catchride.com[/QUOTE]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I think I know of a doctor who can help, her name is Dr. Broo... or something like that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by His Greyness:
    9/11

19 fanatics willing to kill themselves and 3000 other innocent people, spending an estimated $500,000, brought the most powerful nation on earth to a standstill for four days. Not even Emperor Hirohito managed that.''

So 9/11 hasn't changed me at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MINOR LEAGUE????? Well obviously you have no heart! You are an insentitive a**....remind me the next time my husband is working while you are getting on a plane. I'll tell him to let the guy with the bomb slip through his screening point for you so YOU CAN FEEL HOW MINOR IT IS!!!! Dan protects and serves people like you and I hate it!

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....
    **BARB***

I was born in the Middle East and lived there for over half of my life. TJO, you are misinformed about the Israeli/Palestinian situation and our role in it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by timedjumpoff:

3) Stop asking Israel to refrain from doing what we would do in the same situation.
    And what would that be? We would be randomly rounding up every male Palestinian civilian and slaughtering them? Blocking hospital entrances so no one can get in? Or cutting off their leader from any contact with the outside world, and then demanding that he tell his 'people' to stop their suicide bombings? Arafat does not control every Palestinian civilian. To think he did would be like saying that we are all programmed by Bush. Arafat has publicly denounced the bombings. Please watch the BBC World News for shots of what has actually been happening.

4) Allow the Israelis to get bin Laden.

They're not trying to get Osama bin Laden. They are after Arafat. This is an opportunistic attack to join the "War on Terrorism" for their own gain. Yes, the suicide bombings that the Israelis have suffered are horrendous. However, they are not linked to bin Laden. They are more to do with the fact that Israel used to be Palestine. We are a large part of this problem. Simply put, we negotiated with Palestine to allow it to become Israel and give the Israelis a place to call home many years ago. We also agreed to have Palestine keep part of its country for themselves. This did not happen. For decades, the Palestinians have been without a country, without passports even, without structured government, and we have turned our backs on them. The tanks that the Israelis are using to crush the teensy strip of land that the Palestinians have tried to call home came from us.

5) For any further terrorist attack on this country, threaten to totally nuke the country/countries from which the terrorists are from..and actually do it.
    OH YEAH, WE WOULDN'T SUFFER ANY RECOURSE THERE!! AND REALLY, WHO CARES ABOUT CIVILIANS, RIGHT?? I MEAN, IT'S THEIR FAULT FOR BEING BORN THERE!

6) The US refuses to negotiate with terrorists, why should Israel?
    Again, refer to answer to #4. A former Israeli government official was recently interviewed. I watched it. He was asked about where he thought the Palestinians should go now that Israel was invading. He replied that it would be a shame if the Palestinians felt that they had to leave. Yeah, I sure wouldn't feel any need to leave my neighborhood just because of a couple of massacres and tanks...

7) The majority of Palestinians are from Jordan, who didn't want them there and expelled them into what are now the "occupied territories. Why doesn't Jordan, and all the other Arab countries want the Palestinians
    either?
    ??? The majority of Palestinians are from PALESTINE. They would like their side of the deal upheld.

8) Remind the critics that every Israeli occupied territory is the result of 6 or 7 wars
    started by the Arabs and won by the Israelis.
    Every Israeli occupied territory (bar one small strip that came along from another opportunistic push) is the result of the land being given to them after negotiations with Palestine.

I was born an American citizen, but I have been lucky enough to experience other cultures and countries. I find that many of us Americans are misinformed and I find it very disturbing.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Come on. Don't jump on TJO.
    You want crazy? Let me drive you out to Idaho to meet some boys who'd just love to blow up another federal building in their own country.
    Free speech is scary.

9/11 makes me feel humble. Those of us who live relatively free lives are very lucky. My dad fought to keep America safe. I am indebted to his generation.

Having traveled to many foreign lands, I see how blessed we are to have our freedom.
    Pray for peace.

TimedJumpOff -- About your last point - DO NOT GET ME STARTED!!! After working IN the White House for 5 years, I can say with 100% confidence that you should stop believing everything the news tells you about your country and your government! You are so far from the truth you can't even see it in the distance! And where did you even get your information on Israel??

And Greyness... why on Earth would you compare WWII, which was horrible no doubt, to a terrorist attack? OF COURSE one attack is not as bad as an entire war! We are talking about something that happened RECENTLY and very NEARBY, not that it is "worse" it is just closer. It affects people TODAY, and we certainly can't downplay it just because it wasn't 'as bad as' WWII, that makes no sense.

Ok, see how I'm walking away from this?? Breathing deep... not getting into it... you guys should be proud of me!! (I did a much better job of this before I had to come in and edit it!)

yd, agree TOTALLY!!!
    ~Arkie clique~

"Do, or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

[This message was edited by FlowerPower on May. 30, 2002 at 11:20 AM.]

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

But I think some of the younger people here who have not seen war. They have not had loved ones involved in war (or lost loved ones in war). And many of those who grew up with a sense of security due to the fact that there had not been any war that truly impacted their lives on a personal level are feeling this much more deeply than those of us who have been around for a while longer and have lived through other wars.

Their feelings are valid, but I don't think they can dismiss the fact that many older Americans are a bit more jaded from having dealt with different, and yet just as heart-wrenching issues. Yes, 9/11 was a tragedy, but the first time someone attacked American soil was the Revolutionary War. The first surprise attack was probably Pearl Harbor (at least at that time we felt most secure and had not provoked the attack). 9/11 was the first terrorist attack, which brought us to an understanding of what most of the rest of the world had been already dealing with for a long time.

I think all views are valid. I don't think you can dismiss any one's perspective. Some people are very angry. Some are feeling sad. Some scared. And yet others are getting on with their lives--and it is NOT because they are callous. It is just a matter of perspective.

JMHO

It's all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Just a note, the Palestinians did not invent suicide bombing. Many other groups have taken that route, including Israelis.

Forcing people to live in refugee camps is a great way to create terrorists.

How has 9/11 changed me? I don't feel like it has. There were a couple of weeks where I didn't cringe at Dubya. It was horrible and something that happened to "us" but, having a mother who was a little girl, hiding for cover while being bbombed during WWII in Germany, I can say it was horrible, just like countless other horrible things that have happened to other countries.

The reason we allow Pakistan people to train in flight school is because we are AMERICA, land of the free.

Superheroes of the universe, unite!

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Don't dismiss WWII so quickly! Do you know how many innocent people died in that war and how many soldiers threw down their lives? Yes, 9/11 was terrible, but don't forget the much longer list of casualties in WWII and the destruction of so much of Europe.

The more things change, the more things remain the same...

As I said, it's all a matter of perspective...

It's all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Are we talking about the World Wars???? NO!!!!!!!!! NO KIDDING!! MORE PEOPLE DIED IN THOSE WARS!!! But we're not talking about wars!!! Or are we??? or did I miss something???

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....
    **BARB***

I'm not nor would I ever dismiss WWII, my grandfather fought in it, and with my international relations degree, believe me, I learned ALL about it.

My point is that I don't think you can compare one with the other... it doesn't make me feel any better about 9/11 to think that more people died some where/time else.

(THANK YOU Gwen! BTW, xxoo to your husband for me for his contribution!)

~Arkie clique~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlowerPower:
    TimedJumpOff -- About your last point - DO NOT GET ME STARTED!!! After working IN the White House for 5 years, I can say with 100% confidence that you should stop believing everything the news tells you about your country and your government! You are so far from the truth you can't even see it in the distance! And where did you even get your information on Israel??

And Greyness... why on Earth would you compare WWII, which was horrible no doubt, to a terrorist attack? OF COURSE one attack is not as bad as an entire war! We are talking about something that happened RECENTLY and very NEARBY, not that it is "worse" it is just closer. It affects people TODAY, and we certainly can't downplay it just because it wasn't 'as bad as' WWII, that makes no sense.

Ok, see how I'm walking away from this?? Breathing deep... not getting into it... you guys should be proud of me!! (I did a much better job of this before I had to come in and edit it!)

yd, agree TOTALLY!!!
    ~Arkie clique~

[This message was edited by FlowerPower on May. 30, 2002 at 11:20 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

why can't i just walk away like you?? you know what?? I will!!!Everyone just keep comparing this to the World Wars...and politics...
    **BARB***

**BARB***

Me too, come on Gwen, let's get outta here!

~Arkie clique~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlowerPower:
    Me too, come on Gwen, let's get outta here!

~Arkie clique~

"Do, or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I just did it again..let's go now!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**BARB***

**BARB***

Just to point out that she was misinformed. And YD, you said it yourself - free speech can be scary!

I don't disagree with OUR war on terrorism, just on what Israel is doing while the rest of the world is preoccupied. We are after Osama, the Taliban and Al-Queda. I agree that we are very lucky to have our freedom, but sometimes I feel that we are unlucky to have segregated ourselves from the global community.

I also don't want everyone thinking that every Arab is an uneducated fanatic. I grew up in Dubai, a very open and tolerant society. But, I am aware that some countries have societies full of hate and misinformation. Dubai does not get involved in any of the discourse so prevalent in that region. However, it did open its boarders to Kuwaitis who had to flee their homes after Saddham Hussein attacked.

Frankly, 9/11 has scared the shiznit out of me. It was a long time coming, but I had faith in our government to stay on top of it. Clinton did sign a 'lethal finding' to hold the CIA harmless if bin Laden was killed in covert operation in 1998. This was not an overnight plan. We were the ones who initially armed the Taliban in the '80s and what has happened since then would be reffered to as 'blow back'. Things went terribly wrong, and we were unsure about what to do when the Taliban began terrorizing the Afghani people and blowing up Buddhist temples.

Our necessary rebuttle against terrorism has caused countries surrounding the areas we occupy to become even more agitated. Israel is slaughtering Palestinians while we look the other way. India and Pakistan are constantly at each other's throats and are now nuclear. Saudi is pretending to be neutral and innocent, whilst still feigning sympathy for the Palestinian. Many of the 'schools' in Pakistan which create the brain-washed fanatic terrorists are funded by Saudi Arabia. And if they were truly concerned about the Palestinians, Saudi has more than enough resources to help them. A nuclear World War doesn't seem very unlikely to me, and that is truly frightening.

[This message was edited by CoolMeadows on May. 30, 2002 at 11:57 AM.]
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Whoops! I didn't read all the other posts before I put this, but I wanted to add my $.02

Timedjumpoff:

I'm not sure if you know it, but what you just outlined sounds like a perfect recipe for a totalitarian dictatorship. Sure, we'll be secure, but all of the freedoms and differences we enjoy will just be given the grand ol' toilet flush.

Hobson: I generally agree with your political posts, and once again, you've put things nicely.

September 11 has not significantly changed my views on life except to make me more certain that we must at all costs defend those things about our country that are worth dying for. The Constitution is one of the greatest documents of all time; we are intensely fortunate to live here, and taking away free speech, rights to a decent trial, and restricting our basic freedoms will only hurt us in the long run.

I've always been the kind of person who wakes up in the morning happy to be an American who can criticize Ronald Reagan all I want! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Now I will go back to horseyland!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darva:
    some of you people need to go to the news forums [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I hate coming here and seeing this stuff on a horse BB.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I feeding a troll?

I am AGHAST, Darva!!!!
    The moderators will decide what is inappropriate. This thread is therapeutic. It shows that horsefolks think outside of the the box[stall].

There is certainly a lot of manure on this BB. Don't read it if you have no interest and please don't comment on it.

Has changed me!!!! I like to think for the best. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful and caring family by myside. I wake up every morning and thank god that I have my darling son and my loving husband. But at the same time I am scared at what the future holds for my son. As I sat and watched the ceremonies today I just couldn't stop crying. Seeing those people who lost loved ones made me think "what if". Ethan will never fully understand the terror felt that day and the days following. I worry all the time that my son is going to grow up in in a world full of hate and violence. What I do know is that my husband and I love Ethan with every ounce of us and we hope to bring him up in a home full of love and understanding. Hopefully someday he will thank us for that.

"I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay"
    - Dave Matthews

"We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere."
    - Tim McGraw
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK