The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

With the final steel pillar coming down last night, I took a moment this morning to think about how the 9/11 tragedy has changed me, my focus and my life.

I still feel very sad every time I see a piece on the terrorism that occured that day, and I don't know if I'll ever feel the same about flying.

As far as my riding goes, I used to have 100% of my focus on riding and showing. This has somehow changed. My desire to have a life outside of horses and experience other things has grown much stronger. I still love horses and still love to ride, but for the first time in 15 years, I am taking a break from showing. I'm sure that this will change over time as well, but for right now, I'm happy hacking a greenie around, playing with my baby, and actually enjoying my friends and going out and having fun.

How about y'all, do you think things have changed in your life??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OMG, its the cutest thing I've ever seen!!! (of course I'm biased though) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

With the final steel pillar coming down last night, I took a moment this morning to think about how the 9/11 tragedy has changed me, my focus and my life.

I still feel very sad every time I see a piece on the terrorism that occured that day, and I don't know if I'll ever feel the same about flying.

As far as my riding goes, I used to have 100% of my focus on riding and showing. This has somehow changed. My desire to have a life outside of horses and experience other things has grown much stronger. I still love horses and still love to ride, but for the first time in 15 years, I am taking a break from showing. I'm sure that this will change over time as well, but for right now, I'm happy hacking a greenie around, playing with my baby, and actually enjoying my friends and going out and having fun.

How about y'all, do you think things have changed in your life??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OMG, its the cutest thing I've ever seen!!! (of course I'm biased though) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

I appreciate my husband more. He was a police officer in the city..but now works for the Port Authority Police who lost 37 of their officers. He actually works at Kennedy Airport now and says I shouldn't be afraid of flying. If I have him to guard over the airport, I feel better!!!

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....
    **BARB***

Carpe Diem like never before.

"Out of my mind. Back in five minutes."

If you were told you had four weeks to live, would you do things differently than you had in your past four weeks? Sieze the day.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

"DITTO"

"By the time you've figured out how to make ends meet, they move the ends"
    My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder, He carries me away from all my fears. And when the world threatens to fall asunder, His mane is there to wipe away my tears. ~Bonnie Lewis

Truth be told, it has left a hole in my heart that, no matter how much time passes, likely will not go away.

Don't get me wrong, I get out of bed every morning excited about my life and committed to personal goals and relationships with people I love. Life is precious and good.

But, even now, it's almost incomprehensible, the damage. The magnitude of what happened. I am 30-seconds away from a lump in my throat whenever I recall it vividly. Sometimes I still just can't believe it.

So, bottom line, in my life, the result has been both a sobering realization of the fragility of life -- and my own naivete in the grand scheme of things -- as well as a renewed vigor to do things that matter, be they personal, professional, recreational. I squander my time a lot less these days. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

and then it did get worse in Israel...and now it's even worse with India/Pakistan threatening nuclear war. I have a deep sinking feeling of "what next?".

How has it changed me? For a variety of reasons (and a little of carpe diem) I've reduced my work week by a few hours and can spend a bit more time with my family.
    Member, Equine Artist Clique

I don't feel any different. I remember thinking a few years ago, just in the course of observing world events, that something very unpleasant was going to happen to the US sooner or later. I was shocked and saddened but somehow not very surprised by the attack, having had some previous awareness of escalating terrorist attacks against the US.

I was tooling around a German river valley on a bicycle trip when it happened, so I got none of the impact of seeing things unfold on TV. I only found out about the attack much later that night. I never experienced the same kind of fear that folks did here.

I guess I don't feel any differently about the Sept. 11 events as I do about other massacres. I followed the Rwanda disaster, Bosnia and Kosovo, and East Timor in the international press, as well as the ongoing brutal civil wars in Sierra Leone and Liberia. I've long been in a state of permanent pissed-off outrage and cynicism about injustice, war, and the prioritizing that the UN does when deciding which people get protected from mass murder and which do not. I never thought my own country was immune from attack. So, life goes on as usual.

look, don't flame me, but honestly its changed my view of americans, and not for the better. Two weeks after the attack I went to DC for a National Young Leaders conference, and everyone was like "you live in Manhattan? OMG OMG OMG." Their concern was kind of touching. But then: "People who were close to you died? So I bet you really want to get 'them' bad, huh? Nukes?" NOOOOOO. For god's sake, people! War is BAD. Nuclear weapons are BAD. Nationalism and jingoism and isolationism and thinking that you are, in any way, a better person than even the hijackers is BAD.

While I was there I had the opportunity to talk with a representetive from IL, and he was like "I'm behind Bush. I'm behind this war on terrorism. We're going to get them." Well, what is this THEM? who are they? THEY don't know who they are. They live in a closed, censored society. They can't read, haven't been educated. We don't have to get THEM, we have to get the one person who seems to have dropped out of the news since our military isn't intelligent enough to figure out where he is (oh, I know, we can bomb any square mile on earth thanks to our vast supply of intercontinental ballistic missiles, but god forbid we have to play hide and go seek).

I have also lost ALL respect for out government, which is capitalizing on American fear. I live in NYC. I walk around midtown. I drive past the GW bridge every day on my way to and from school. My father worked three blocks from the WTC. Every time approval ratings drop a smidge, the gov't comes up with some terrorist threat. Well, just like assasination threats, the FBI gets a dozen or more terrorist threats per day. They are using fear as a political tool, and I don't like it.

What I do like is being able to say that. That is why I love being an American, and that's what's really changed me. I've realized how privilaged I am to be alive, to be educated, to have equal parts rationality and cynicism, and to be free. I've also realized that whatever I do with my life, I want to do something that will change the way at least one other person sees the world. So there. Sorry, I needed to rant.

------
    the price of three AP exams? $243
    binders and office supplies for study guides? $53
    three horse shows through may? $ a lot
    NoDoz pills to manage it all? $4.99
    the sound of "pencils down" come last final exam? priceless.
    Um, I don\'t spell check. Deal with it.

Not flaming - but you really struck a nerve. I think you understand how priviledged you are.... and that we have people that are willing to lay down their lives so to protech the American Constitution, and that you have the privilege to live in America and flame the government.....

mizzwade
    mizzwade

I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but here goes...B-O-R, as a fellow lefty my significant point of disagreement with you is the notion of the terrorist as victim. Terrorists quite often have the benefit of advanced education and economic prosperity, are generally literate and intelligent, with significant monetary resources at hand. I think it's important to distinguish them from resistance forces which are mostly focused on righting some particular injustice, and which turn to armed combat only after other avenues of negotiation have been exhausted. Terrorists, by contrast, have a basic smash-and-destroy impulse that precedes any claims to rightousness and representation. Your average terrorist spends no time attempting to right wrongs through standard and common non-violent means--he goes directly to exploding things to make a point. They are monsters who ruin the chances for progress that legitimate opposition organizations are attempting to make.

Sorry for the detour, folks.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I think you need to live each day like it could be your last, but I've always felt that way.

I also think that after living under the threat of a nuclear war since I was a child has made me a bit more of a fatalist. I've learned to live with the fact that there are many things I cannot change and that the world continues to change whether I want it to or not. So, I just live and breath, and enjoy my horses and believe that if the "worst" happens, I'll go to a much better place.

That's just me...

It's all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Without getting into the why's and wherefor's, I've just finally had to realize that a significant percentage of people in the world hate our government, hate our lifestyle, and frankly, hate us.

As far as riding and horses, I realize even more how very fortunate I am to be a woman who is able and allowed to pursue her passion, to express her views, and to compete in an often un-feminine sport. I don't think skunk helmets go well with Birkas. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"I generally avoid temptation... Unless I can't resist it." - Mae West

So it's really a double edged knife in my heart for me. I just feel at this point that I'll never really have a "happy" birthday again...not after seeing the death and destruction unfold on live television that dreadful day~ I'll relive it over and over, every 9/11 for the rest of my life. My entire family is in aviation: My Dad is a retired captain of almost 30 years with a major carrier, my oldest brother now works as a 1st officer for the same major carrier after 10 years as a captain w/ ASA, my other brother is also a commercial pilot, I have one cousin w/ Mesa Air and another cousin that flies Apaches in the Guard. I'm working towards the same goal~ to eventually fly commercially. Not only did the terrible tragedy of 9/11 affect me in the same way that it did for everyone else, but in aviation, you are one big family of brothers and sisters. You feel a sense of loss and grieving when you hear that a plane has gone down or one has been hijacked. My Dad has lost many friends over the years to accidents: He still grieves every April 4th for the crew of Southern Airways 242...lost in New Hope, GA in 1977 in a hailstorm after losing both engines. He cries on the anniversary of the Huntington, WVa crash that killed the entire Marshall State football team~ a flight that HE was supposed to take and got bumped off of. His friend Capt Billy Bob Haas passed away this past fall after retirement~ he was hijacked and spent many grueling hours in the cockpit after his co-pilot was shot and had to take off without tires after the feds shot out the tires in an attempt to keep the plane grounded. So when something like this happens and it involves aviation, it really hits home for me. But what infuriates me to no end, is that with all the crap going on between Pakistan and India right now~ we STILL have Pakistani students in my flight school! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] What gives? Sure, I understand that they are most likely completely harmless, but wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to not allow any foreign students from that region to come to the US for flight training at this point???
    As for 9/11 happening to be my birthday, I know it's selfish of me to feel this way, but I just feel like they (terrorists) have taken my special day from me and replaced it with a feeling of sadness and dispair over the events that have taken place. I'm disappointed in our government (although I thank God that Gore is not in office)~ they have failed in their attempts to locate BinLaden, who has succeeded in making our military and intelligence the laughingstock of the world. We have all of this high tech equipment....and yet he hides out in a cave and cannot be found? Meanwhile, the AlQuaeda and Taliban regroups and plans more attacks of terror on US soil. My gut feeling is that things are going to get worse...and soon...we are sitting ducks in our own country. When Clinton was in office, he cut our military practically by half, closed bases, and embarassed the entire country in front of the world with the Lewinsky scandal...leaving Bush to pick up the pieces and attempt to restore some dignity to the White House after Gore's crybaby attempt to win the election.
    I feel that the only joys in my personal life at this point are the time I spend with my boyfriend, the time I spend flying, and the time I spend with my horses. Of course, there are my family and friends as well~ I feel as though the time I spend with them is so much more precious and I have a new sense of appreciation for them as well. So, yes, looking back at the events of September 11~ yes, it has changed me: both good and bad. I feel closer to my family and friends, and things I once thought were so important now seem so petty. Although I have lost some faith in my government, I have not lost my faith in God, and I know that whatever happens, be it big or small~ it happens for a reason and He has a reason for all of it. SUZ

Proud member of the following:
    ***Rust TS Clique***
    ***SC'ers Clique***
    ***EBayers Anon Clique***
    ~~~Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory~~~
    ~~~It's easier to try, then to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay, then to turn around and run~~~"Blue World"~ Moody Blues
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I agree with a lot of what Box-of-Rox said. Furthermore, I hate the bombing of Afghanistan. Nobody seems to be aware of the fact that we have killed more innocent civilians in Afghanistan than died in the towers and the Pentagon. All I hear/see is editorials with people declaring that they 'have no sympathy for the huddled masses of Afghanistan' and newpaper articles omitting to mention anything the foreign countries that disagree with our 'war on terrorism.' No, it's all about 'Dubya' and 'homeland security.'

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

I also agree with most of what BoR and Lisi said. I think that due to 9/11, I have become a lot more cynical about these things. I seriously cannot believe that people are still blindly supporting the "War Against Terrorism" when it is accomplishing NOTHING.

Aleesha

I think you reflect the opinions of the majority in this country. Problem is, thanks to all the "liberal" political correctness that dominates
    the media/politicians, etc., we can't do what we really should be doing;
    1) DEPORT ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS IMMEDIATELY
    2) Detain or deport ALL MIDDLE EASTERN IMMIGRANTS who are not citizens, even if they have green cards, until their status and connections can be confirmed.
    3) Stop asking Israel to refrain from doing what we would do in the same situation.
    4) Allow the Israelis to get bin Laden.
    5) For any further terrorist attack on this country, threaten to totally nuke the country/countries from which the terrorists are from..and actually do it.
    6) The US refuses to negotiate with terrorists, why should Israel?
    7) The majority of Palestinians are from Jordan, who didn't want them there and expelled them into what are now the "occupied territories. Why doesn't Jordan, and all the other Arab countries want the Palestinians
    either?
    8) Remind the critics that every Israeli occupied territory is the result of 6 or 7 wars
    started by the Arabs and won by the Israelis.
    9) Stop relying on Mid-East oil---we have more than enough resources of our own.
    10) Yes, war does lead to peace as we've proven time and again. The world hates us anyway, they might just as well fear us.
    11) Reagan knew that a strong military was the the best deterrent to war. Clinton thought differently and disbanded with it............the results of which we now must endure.
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!

I totally agree with #11......

mizzwade
    mizzwade

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timedjumpoff:

5) For any further terrorist attack on this country, threaten to totally nuke the country/countries from which the terrorists are from..and actually do it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have GOT to be kidding.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Aleesha