The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I dont mean you old "run of the mill" broken collar bone...those are a dime a dozen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'm talking about the wierd ones. I got to thinking about this last night when I was looking at my raggedy fingernails. My pinky finger has this "bump" under the nail from my strange injury.

Here i am, leading my old horse into an old cattle barn. The floor was concrete and I stepped into the narrow aisleway with Targ right behind me. As I was walking I noticed a padlock on the ground and squatted down to pick it up. Well, old Targo couldnt be bothered to STOP and walked right over me, planting one foot on my HAND with the padlock underneath it, then knocking me out with his hoof to the back of the head (from his rear leg)...
    I recovered [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] but learned a lesson...

Anybody else?

Always,
    FairWeather
    I saw her! Shese riding again! Theres PROOF!

http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

I dont mean you old "run of the mill" broken collar bone...those are a dime a dozen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'm talking about the wierd ones. I got to thinking about this last night when I was looking at my raggedy fingernails. My pinky finger has this "bump" under the nail from my strange injury.

Here i am, leading my old horse into an old cattle barn. The floor was concrete and I stepped into the narrow aisleway with Targ right behind me. As I was walking I noticed a padlock on the ground and squatted down to pick it up. Well, old Targo couldnt be bothered to STOP and walked right over me, planting one foot on my HAND with the padlock underneath it, then knocking me out with his hoof to the back of the head (from his rear leg)...
    I recovered [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] but learned a lesson...

Anybody else?

Always,
    FairWeather
    I saw her! Shese riding again! Theres PROOF!

OUCH!!! That is a weird accident!!!

SLW

I was cantering quietly along after a small fence when my horse tripped, and I tumbled (again, quietly!) over his shoulder. The strange part of the injury is that it was caused by my hard hat (regulation, thank you very much.) I somehow managed to tuck my head into my shoulder, and the brim of the hat took out the bone. Sigh. It's a wonder, I guess, that I didn't break my bloody neck.

Wel if you do mean literally AROUND horses that would be the time I bruised my sternum, requiring two weeks of bed rest, by falling on a saddle rack.

In our tack room at shows, we had these long board, with screw eyes in them you could hang the sadle racks on. It was after show jumping, I was pulling on my boots (custom Dehners that were dang near impossible to get off and on, and was leaning on the middle rack and heaving and hoing against the boot jack. Saddle rack goes slipping/shooting sideways, I take a chest plant on to the rack baelow, and then because my boot was not completely off and still in the boot jack I go slamming backwards to the ground.

My barn mates were ystified to find me lying on my back like a turtle making the HOOOOOOOOOOO noise youmake when you can't get air back in your chest, and writhing in pain.

They only teased me about it for six or seven years afterwards. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Last week I picked up my saddle, I guess with too much force, because the stirrup came up from the other side and whacked me in the jaw bone. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] OUCH! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mickey and I have some steering problems when we're lazy....on many occasions I have taken out a jump standard - knocked it flat over with my leg as we were walking by waaayyyy too close.

Having said that, last week we were walking around the perimeter of the arena to munch on some grass (or roots or weeds or whatever they are since there really is no grass right now). There are large sprinkler heads that are affixed to metal posts outside the arena, and we were headed straight for one. In my mind I thought "no problem - these things rotate, so there's no need for me to re-direct Mickey, I can just move the sprinkler head with my leg" WRONG! Those sprinkler heads do not move and I walked right into it with the front of my calf. Searing pain goes through my leg and I start moaning and complaining to myself - how could I be so dumb? Now I have a lump and a bruise that covers the front of my calf.

Dumb, indeed.

"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!"
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

(Reminded by splendid's post) I was driving back from the barn on a very hot day after working pretty hard....so it is related to being around horses and would never have happened otherwise. There was a giant irrigation sprinkler in the field alongside the road not far from the stables. It was rotating and spraying water over the ground, and each rotation would throw water over the road. I could've wound my window up, or timed it so I didn't drive past when the water was wetting that bit of road. But no. I thought "oh it would be so refreshing to be sprayed with water now....I'll make sure it reaches me."

Big mistake! It was not the nice gentle spattering I imagined but more like being hit full in the face by 20 buckets of ice cold water!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

There are so many strange things that occur that I never even remember...but to any other "non-horsey" person, they look like these gargantuan injuries.

One time I was doing some ground work with a Two year old and I needed something from my trailer. I went and opened the door and peeked in, Lucifer (aptly named) was on the other side of the open door and I had the leadrope in my hand. He spooked, and jammed my hand into the door breaking my thumb. I was like...Oh well.

lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Always,
    FairWeather
    If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. - Jack Handy

Ahhh, yes. It happened while ON a horse. . . .

I had a greenie when I was a junior in high school. (She is actually a school horse now, ten years later!!) Big mistake.

One day, after our hack, we were standing outside the barn, chatting with a friend. I was still on her back, and she was standing politely. No fidgeting, no nothing.

The next thing I know, she is going over backward, and she landed on me, fracturing my tailbone.

I am told that she took her rein into her mouth and scared herself. Weird. I have never heard of such a thing.

When I first got my current horse I took for granted that he was soo quiet. Well I put him in crossties for his first bath, as soon as I pulled out the hose he pulled back on the cross ties, brand new leather halter beaks & comes flying right at me. Metal buckle ends up slicing right above my right eye & knocks me to the ground. Well horse is now loose but just grazing right across from stall. I have no clue what had happened just that blood is gushing from my head. Vet had to patch me up & send me to the hospital, 9 stitches later & I felt so stupid. Another time that my blacksmith brings up way too much was when I had my crazy TB. He did not want to be hot fitted & started to wig out, I was holding him & like a complete idiot I wrapped my fingers around his halter (usually it calmed him) well he decided to take off only problem was my finger was no stuck in the halter. I am running along side him down the barn, finally got loose & only ended up dislocating my finger. Blacksmith thought it was soo funny, everytime he comes out he retells the story to whoever hasn't heard it.

Breaking a bone in my hand - the one next to the one that holds the pinky...(I have a lump too) Was hacking my horse at LPHS and he spooked and wheeled so fast my hand hit his neck. I stayed on, but heard the crack. Was I PISSED!! And in PAIN!

Hacked back to the barn, got some ice and some bandages and went back to my room to sleep and cry. Refused to go to the hospital til after the Grand Prix. Meanwhile, a friend who had done the same thing a few years before showed me her scar from surgery and told me NOT to let them cut me!

The knuckle between the pinky and middle finger knuckle is indented - shorter than either of them...

But it works just fine and I got rid of the horse. (LOL)
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

In the 60's when I was working at a hunter/jumper show barn in Potomac MD, I was just getting over the Hong Kong flu. Still had a terrible cough (of course smoking didn't help it at all). Anyway, I was sitting down in the tack room on a braiding stool and reached down to pick up something and heard a snap. Went immediately to a doctor whose horse I was exercising a couple of times a week. It was my rib cage separating from my sterum. Ouch-not good when I coughed.

Much more recently, and I already relayed this on this board, was when I had just gotten a new 60" mower. Had put it in the storage area of my barn, which didn't have any lights on at the time. I stepped off it and forgot to step further over. Ended up falling and really banging up my knee and shin. Was doing a good bit of cussing (mostly at my own stupidity!)when the dog rushes over to give her condolences and jumps on my hand, causing the key I was holding to fall under the mower deck.

You'd think after 40 some yrs, I'd learn....

msj
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

On a trail ride, we're crossing a little stream with pine trees around it. I'm following my friend. We both get over the stream with no problems, and as we continue through the trees, she's bending branches out of her way. One swings back, over Picasso's head, smacks me full in the face, and I topple over backwards, landing on my shoulder.

One black eye, bruised nose, and minorly dislocated shoulder later....

Goshen, New York (cutest little hossie town in NY)

while putting shipping wraps on the hind legs of a horse i had just purchased. he got me with his tail while swishing flies away. owwww - took two weeks to heal. now i tie the tail up in a mud knot before i work back there for anything.

Not so much strange as shear stupidity. Still can't believe I did this one...

First week of owning my OTTB, I hurt my thumb and decided it wouldn't be smart to ride one that green sans a digit. Well, in my infinite wisdom (and youthful impatience), I decided to longe her lightly, then see if she could trot over a pole. Unfathomably, I shortened the rope [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] to help "guide her" and ended up near her hind end when she decided to jump - not trot - the pole as if it were 5'. She kicked out at landing and tapped my right thigh with her barefoot hoof.

My leg swelled up to literally twice its normal size and I had to go the emergency room - twice. I had a severe contusion that had me in bed fro a week, on crutches for three weeks, and off the horse for almost four months. My penance was that when I could walk, I practically dragged my leg behind me. To this day, my leg still has a "dent" in it...

Sadly, that's not my dumbest horse moment, but we'll just keep that as a secret between me and the tiny scar on my OTHER leg! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

A fungal infection in my armpit.

Since you just made me spit my halfway-chewed salad all over the monitor Heidi...I'll ask.
    Details please?
    How in the world???
    Why was your horse in your armpit? hehehe

Always,
    FairWeather
    If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. - Jack Handy

Last March I was bringing the 3yr old in from the paddock that he shares with a 2yr old. The 2yr old can be a pain and they were feeling frisky. I saw, out of the corner of my eye, the 2yr old sneaking up on the horse I was leading. I swung around to kick at him to get away( not kick *him*) and he chose that moment to bite the horse I was leading. They both took off at a dead run. Knocked me flat on my back and when I opened my eyes for a brief second I was staring at feet and bellys.

I got a nasty case of whiplash and a herniated disk. I couldn't walk right for a week.

I love to tell this story!

When I was in 4th grade, we lived in Orange Co. Va. (useless tidbit of info). I was sent out to catch my pony for my lesson. He preferred to be left alone, so I had to bring the bribery bucket. You know, the one with the FOOD.

So I catch him, no problem. I get to the gate and unlatch it. I have to put down the bucket to do this. The pony sticks his head in bucket to make sure its empty. I know his game, and know its really difficult to remove his head from the bucket.

I lean over him to get some leverage to yank him up. He sees me and WWHHOOOOMMPPPP....up comes his head. He makes contact with my face. Ouch.

I bring the pony up to tack him up. I run inside to tell my mom that I got whacked in the face. She tells me my lesson will be cancelled and she will go put the pony back out. She hands me the paper towel ice contraption. Thank god she doesn't over react. My eye was swelling rapidly.

It turns out I broke my orbit. Yea, I had a broken eye. To this day, one eye doesn't open as wide as the other one, and you can feel where the bone turns slightly down. Yuck.

The black eye was so bad that I couldn't wear sunglasses. The swelling made them too far away from my face to rest on my nose.
    **Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.**