The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Default Another show coat question - difference between "slim" and regular in Grand Prix?

Anyone know how the cut changes between the two? I can't find any size charts that show or describe it - are certain places taken in more, or is the whole coat smaller? Bc I think I need a slim - regular cut is not working on me, and I can't afford to get everything tailored it looks like!

Thanks fashion experts!

A slim is more tapered through the waist and chest area. As far as I can tell, there is no other difference. I wear a slim and it fits me well - I'm teeny all around, but I have linebacker shoulders, so finding coats is tough for me. GP slims work really well for me.

I stumbled upon "Endowed" Grand Prix jacket . Love it !! I wish I found this years ago .

To me, the slim fit a little straighter, with less room in the chest, so it worked well for me...the "non-endowed." i could wear the regular GP cut also, but it didn't look quite as tailored so preferred the slim myself.

I like the slim, which I wore in my youth but now have no use for! It seemed to me to have the same body and sleeve length and the same breadth of shoulder as the regular size, but was slimmer through the body. It was perfect for me because my shoulders were too wide for the 14R, but the body of the 16R was too big. So the 16Slim was perfect.

Now, of course, the 16Endowed is more my speed!

That sounds perfect for me - my regular GP is just baggy through the body - the waist flares out too much on me - so overall just a bit more nipped in is what I need. Now I just need to begin the long and fruitless quest of finding my small size in a tall slim - used or on clearance of course!

What size? Lots of us scour the interwebs for used stuff and I'm sure we'd be happy to keep an eye out for you!

Thank you so much, that's very sweet! I think I could wear a 10 slim, tall or regular, or an 8 tall/slim - I hope that the 8 tall/slim would fit perfectly, but I think both would work. My current jacket is a 10 tall, and it just looks sloppy, but I'm not swimming in it - just a bit loose...

Sadly I'm in the more endowed camp (although not huge) and short and they just do not fit me. The regulars are just too wide through the waist (I'm quite narrow there) and the slim won't fasten across the chest area and is also too tight in the shoulders!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Gil's Girl - not sure about the color, but you might want to check this out...

http://www.tackroominc.com/used-gran...ll-p-5392.html

I have a slim. At nearly 30, I am still waiting to be endowed. Mine is actually a custom, 10 Slim Tall with an extra 1 1/2" in sleeves and torso. I agree that they are just slimmer through the torso, same in other aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    Gil's Girl - not sure about the color, but you might want to check this out...

http://www.tackroominc.com/used-gran...ll-p-5392.html
    Haha, I'm already on that one - I love it, but not sure how useful it would be colorwise Gorgeous though. It's the piping that scares me a little bit.... If it were about $100 less, I'd snap it up though!

Grand Prix Slims are tapered to be 1" smaller in the waist than a regular. There is also a Pro Cut which is 2" smaller in the waist. The Endowed is one bust size larger but the other measurements are the same. If you need more fitting options email info@frantisi.com