The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Riding a 5 Month Old QH Colt? Wow....

Hope the picture is visible. Words can't even describe the stupidity on display, here...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7010351&type=1

It actually looks like a filly....

Okay, back to knowing or not knowing the whole story from a couple other recent threads here. Do we know that she is actually riding the horse around or just sitting up there for the photo? Not a great idea to sit on a baby that young, but seriously..... if she hopped up there for the photo and then hopped down, I doubt it hurt the horse much. Now everybody will dog pile on this person when we don't even know what the real situation is.

BG, look at the rest of the photos in that album. The one before the one posted above shows the girl climbing aboard that (gorgeous) baby. Saddle is cranked over, poor filly is off balance, trying her damndest to offset the weight on her side. :-(
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    BG, look at the rest of the photos in that album. The one before the one posted above shows the girl climbing aboard that (gorgeous) baby. Saddle is cranked over, poor filly is off balance, trying her damndest to offset the weight on her side. :-(
    I clicked on the album and the one originally posted is the only one I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    I clicked on the album and the one originally posted is the only one I can see.
    Look right above the pic, on the right. There should be "Previous" and "Next" to click forward and backwards through the album. The other "training" pics are fairly "interesting" as well.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Oh wait, it shows up two ways - if the pic you see has a black border around it with the comments on the right, hover your mouse over the right or left sides of the pic, midway between the top and bottom. Arrows to scroll forward and back should appear.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Look right above the pic, on the right. There should be "Previous" and "Next" to click forward and backwards through the album. The other "training" pics are fairly "interesting" as well.
    Nope, no other pictures show for me. Must not all be public links or something.

Nope, no other pictures show for me. Must not all be public links or something.
    Nope, can't not be public since I'm not FB "friends" with the album person.

Try this link to get to the album:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7010351&type=3
    Equus Keepus Brokus

It is in Nelson NZ.
    What can we do from here to stop it? I don't know about you but I don't know anyone in NZ who can go to his barn and tell him it is unacceptable to ride a 5 month old.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...type=1&theater
    Last edited by 5; Apr. 24, 2012 at 01:27 PM.

Nope, can't not be public since I'm not FB "friends" with the album person.

Try this link to get to the album:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7010351&type=3
    Says "content currently unavailable"

No biggie, if someone is actually riding a horse that young, then that is wrong. It just looked to me, being able to only see one photo, that people might be jumping to conclusions based on one photo without having more info. It just seems to be a common thing these days with such easy access to the internet, FB, etc...... okay maybe not so easy access for SOME of us.

Disgusting!! Even if there is a back story to this- that is one dumb trainer for even having pictures of thaton facebook...

On a different note-looking through the album, can somebod enlighten me on what the purpose of using a "flank rope" is? Is it to off balance them if they try to buck?!

Christ. People are stupid. Poor baby. And someone was PROUD enough of these activities to TAKE PHOTOS.

I imagine the flank rope was there TO make her buck--a la the flank strap seen in roughstock. Probably the "get the bucks outta her" mentality.

Good God. What an idiot trainer.

Poor little girl.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

If you read the comments, the girl on the horse isn't the one who posted the picture. It's a Name and Shame! album. The girl who posted it is trying to shame the people and spread the news about the "trainer and farrier" who is doing this.

This just straight pisses me off. Can we send a collective slap across the internet??

ETA - Just looked at the whole album....THEY ARE BITTING THAT POOR FOAL UP TOO!!! GAH!!!

ETAA - I've used a "flank rope" like that as well for desensitizing, but have never heard it called that. I think of flank ropes as the kind they use on bucking stock, as someone else mentioned. Everything else they are doing to that poor filly is sickening. They need shot.

5 MONTHS OLD!!!
    There is no excuse for this!
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I could see about 8 pictures, each one worse than the one before it.

~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

It's shocking to see this lovely five month old baby being subjected to this treatment Poor baby wrecked before she's a year old. This is in Nelson, South Island New Zealand. The man, Craig Doty, calls himself, among other things, an equine therapist, barefoot trimmer, foal imprinter, horse trainer and if my google search is to be believed he's also a magician....

Apparently the SPCA have been inundated with telephone calls about this man since this set of photos starting doings the rounds and visited him yesterday. Regrettably here in New Zealand this is not against the law and it seems there is not much they can do. This sucks big time.

Apparently the owner of this youngster is not horse savvy and thought this was normal (that could be the start of a whole nother thread, complete with popcorn and crayola etchings I reckon)... since been made aware that it is not and is "appalled".
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Do we know that she is actually riding the horse around or just sitting up there for the photo?
    Why is it OK for someone to be sitting on this 5 month old just for a photo?