The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 14 year old TB mare FREE LEASE in MD. Video from her first show added! Post 46

My broodmare is a broodmare no longer and is being transitioned into a new career as a low level event horse. We started hacking her in November after she weaned her last foal just to build her strength up. In February I got a call from a friend asking if my mare could fill in for one of her student's horses when they went to Aiken. So my broodie who hadn't been ridden regularly since she was on the track seven years earlier packed up and headed South. They did a lot with her, maybe a little more than I was comfortable with but she liked it and handled it well so no harm done.

She is just a tad too small for me. I don't have the money to just keep another horse standing around and she seems too talented to do nothing. I have a place I can retire her to if nothing else pans out but that seems like such a waste. I would really love to do an on site (Bel Air, MD) free lease or even a half lease but would consider her going somewhere relatively nearby. I guess I should add that she could probably be a nice hunter if someone wants to go that route. She is more of a hunter mover than a true dressage mover in my opinion.

She is green but sound and sane and willing, just needs someone a little smaller than me to bring her along. Any idea how I can go about finding an appropriate person for her? She is 15.2+ but stocky. She wears a 50 inch girth so definitely not narrow. Thanks for your help!

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1781661
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	417391_10102381045447724_9310910_90153896_1778507468_n.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	35463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14669_192870748971_189840138971_2914859_3612617_n.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	35464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	427382_10150634500092410_571202409_9160325_6273314_n.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	35465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	429546_10102370400689904_9310910_90123132_1512551695_n.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	35466  
    Last edited by Laurierace; Jun. 2, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Guess I should add that Jess is retired from the breeding shed due to life threatening dystocias in three out of her four pregnancies with each being worse than the year before. So no, the leaser can not breed her.

I know green is a lot of work but this is an amazing mare. If she were just a tad larger or me a tad smaller she would be my next eventer.

Do you have videos?
    We could all take a lesson from crayons some are sharp, some are beautiful, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they still learn to live in the same box. Unknown.

She hasn't really done anything worth videoing yet, so no. Maybe as her training increases I can get something.

I know this mare personally. She is cute, sound, and willing. She had not been ridden in quite some time and handled it like a champ. She is well worth coming to look at. Mine and Lauries trainer has been working with her, so she is getting a great foundation to boot.

I rode Jess tonight in my lesson and she was wonderful! I was very pleasantly surprised by how much fun she was. She is obviously different than my schoolmaster but she is willing and able. We even jumped some. She trotted right up to the jump and landed in a nice, uphill canter and cantered away. She is still a work in progress but is on her way!

Default still available?

Would you be willing to send her to MA by any chance?

It definitely isn't my first choice to send her that far away but if nothing else pans out I may consider it. My reasoning for free leasing her instead of giving her away is her life threatening dystocias. She has such incredible babies that everyone seems to want to breed her. I want to be able to retain ownership so that I can insure she is never bred again. Breeding her would violate the lease and I would take her back. That would be hard to do from many states away. I will let you know.

Jess is going to my daughter's pony club meeting on Saturday. If I can get someone to ride her I will get some video of her hacking around and possibly jumping a little if all goes well. If I can't get someone to ride her, I will have to ride her myself so I will have to just tell you all about it!

If you wind up needing a rider so you can get some video, I volunteer mine. If you want/need. I could bring her to you anytime...she is a confident kid (teen) who can handle anything sane up to about 3 or 3'3" o/f and whatever you need on the ground.

I also may know someone your mare might be a good fit for, and she would be in an EXCELLENT program.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Thank you, that is a very generous offer! My daughter was planning to ride her so I did not come prepared to ride. I was dressed in shorts and muck shoes! Mare was perfect while we were waiting for the dressage lesson to finish and stood perfectly to be tacked and mounted. She got a little jiggy with my daughter so she decided she didn't want to ride. I lunged her for 5 minutes and got on her myself in shorts and muck shoes! She was very good but obviously I didn't allow anyone to take pictures of us in my get up. So I think we learned something about her in that she needs to trot around on the lunge to get her nerves settled then she can move on to other things. Makes sense.

Does make sense if she is greener at this. She sure is very pretty - I can see why everyone wants to breed her, lol. No one at our barn breeds anything, everyone is H/J and boarding so if she came to one of our riders you would have no worries on that angle. When you have video, let me know so I can pass it on. My other offer stands any time.

Well, why don't you come see her for yourself then we can make the video. I think that sounds like a great idea!

Sure, just let me know when. I am pretty flexible.

Thank you to alittlegray and her lovely 13 year old daughter! She did a great job with Jess as you can see here:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....91011375&saved

Thanks to Laurie for letting DD sit on her absolutely sweet, gorgeous mare. She is a lovely prospect who just went softly around with a teen in the irons. She is a super cute mover, and really wants to please. She didn't put one foot wrong. She got flying changes in both directions easily, and down the straightaway after a fence. A++++ mare in every way!

I have a bit of video I can add after we get home

Every critter Laurie had in the barn was gorgeous, for sure!

What a good little rider she is! Jess seemed to love her.

Here is a short video of her jumping a crossrail. Note the lead change after the first jump. I didn't even know she knew how to do those but she got them in both directions.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150821125546375
    Last edited by Laurierace; May. 15, 2012 at 04:43 PM.