The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Stirrups

Lately I have had really intense ankle pain while jumping. I went xc schooling yesterday and I'm still hobbling! I just use regular fillis irons at the moment but I was wondering if any of the irons that claim to relieve ankle/knee pressure while riding actually work (herm sprenger, bow balance, MTC etc).
    To ride or not to ride-what a stupid question!
    -Unknown

Well. . . I am sure it is different for everyone. But I too had ankle pain when riding and went with the jointed variety of stirrup which helped for a while but then I started to get knee pain. Who knows maybe not related at all to the stirrup change, its hard to say. It did help my ankle though! Just sharing my experience

On a side note: I slowly realized I cant keep the weight on the outside of my foot without ankle pain so my toe pokes out on one side. So I am thinking the angled kind would have been a better type to try.

I switched to jointed stirrups a couple years ago, and I WILL NOT go back. My right knee has had non-diagnosed issues for years (just too stubborn/cheap to get it scoped) and regular irons had me in severe pain after half an hour in the saddle.

I got the "cheap" variety sold by Horseloverz. I have a pair of "white" on my jump saddle, and when I bought ones for my dressage saddle last month I was pleased to discover they have all-black ones now too. They are available thru Amazon, Ebay, Horseloverz, and a few other places.

http://new.horseloverz.com/Irons/410...rup-Irons.html

FWIW, my knee used to kill me when I rode Western as well. I had DH take a picture of me just sitting on my horse before a ride, and got a position check! I'd been letting my legs/feet go forward without realizing it. Also I try to balance more off my inner thighs or feet now too and that's really helped. I still swear by those stirrups though!

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post

I got the "cheap" variety sold by Horseloverz. I have a pair of "white" on my jump saddle, and when I bought ones for my dressage saddle last month I was pleased to discover they have all-black ones now too. They are available thru Amazon, Ebay, Horseloverz, and a few other places.

http://new.horseloverz.com/Irons/410...rup-Irons.html
    I have these, too. I was thrilled to find them in all black, because they match my Wintec 2000. My gray Ayrab looks very snazzy in his all black tack.

I have the Metalab jointed on my Stubben. Not putting el cheapo jointed on my preshuss!

I absolutely swear by jointed stirrups. I've gotten to the point in my life I can't ride for more than 1/2 hour in hard irons. With the jointed, I can ride for hours with little to no pain.

Don't ask me about pain after I get off the horse, though.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    I have the Metalab jointed on my Stubben. Not putting el cheapo jointed on my preshuss!
    Don't ask me about pain after I get off the horse, though.
    LMAO. El Cheapo on my preshuss...love it!

I just like the looks of the all black ones since they tend to blend in more. I kinda feel mismatched...brown saddle, brown coat (well, after I get it taken in, I'll wear the damn thing!), brown bridle...black boots, helmet, and girth.

Oh well, my little chestnut overo Ayrab cross looks pretty stinkin' cute in his outfit! Neither of my saddles are "preshuss" brands though. Well, back in their new days they would be...but considering I paid $200 with shipping for my dressage saddle (SCORE of the century) and my jump saddle was under $750, the el cheapo stirrups match!

I think if I did end up with something fancy schmancy, like a County, I'd still put my el cheapos on. Just to class it up er, down, a bit.