The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking 13-Kg Tumor Removed From Uterus Of Horse

Hospital Performs Rare Surgical Operation

In an unprecedented event, the Kuwait Veterinary Hospital for Horses managed to perform a rare surgical operation lasting 3 hours to remove a tumor weighing 13kg from the uterus of a horse named "Wahu", says KUNA.

13-Kg Tumor Removed From Uterus Of Horse

Not sure why you would have to remove the "entire stomach" as quoted in the article but I bet she is going to be feeling a lot better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Not sure why you would have to remove the "entire stomach" as quoted in the article but I bet she is going to be feeling a lot better soon.
    not sure how well she will feel without stomach tho...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

may be they fear to increase the tumor in stomach too

Default "YIKES" & JINGLES FOR THIS HORSE ~

"YIKES"

JINGLES & AO FOR THIS HORSE ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

"surgeries of this nature require the removal of entire stomach of the sick horse after it has been sedated"

Ok maybe I'm uneducated in this area, do you possibly think this statement is incomplete or doesn't translate well, to mean that the stomach is removed in order to get it out of the way to remove the tumor, and then stomach is replaced? Is it possible for a horse to live any kind of normal life without a stomach? I am aware that humans can, stomach cancer patients for example.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

That's how I took it - have to take the stomach outside the horse to get to the offending tumor. I cannot imagine the management of a horse without a stomach

FWIW - a friend of a friend had a disease (whose name I will never remember) which caused most of her digestive tract to become paralyzed (oh, I think it was a rare side effect of a....back surgery? something like that). She was on special feeding tubes for a year or more, and ended up with a multi-organ transplant, including stomach, esophagus I think, and a few more parts. Absolutely amazing.

It was just bad reporting. They move the intestines out of the way to access the uterus. I once had a ridgling that they had to take his entire intestines out to locate the missing testicle which ended up being up by his kidney. The recovery was very similiar to a colic surgery.