The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Having just gotten around to paying attention to the "system" in recent months, and having pledged to "get involved" on one level or another, the other night was virtually my first PHA meeting (sorry about the tardiness, Mon is a hectic mom-day!)...anyway, I do follow that the LIHSAA is not presently a part of or formally answerable to the PHA, though the decisions it makes affect the interests of not only PHA members, but also the majority of participants at the LI shows, most of whom it seems are not PHA members. So presently, you have a large group (all exhibitors) affected by the actions of a very small and private group ( LIHSAA) that is not directly answerable to the only organization that has any structure to it whatsoever (PHA). The PHA, though open to enrollment by all, is an organization that is rather lightly supported considering the numbers of it's present membership compared to the numbers which could join and choose not to, or would join, but aren't congnizant as to the actual purpose of the PHA and how they might benefit by joining. Clearly, there are messages on many levels that are not being sent, or understood by those who should be on the receiving end. As I understand it, it was agreed by the PHA to extend an informal "invitation" to the LIHSAA as an entity to initiate discussions about joining the two groups in some way. It is my suggestion at this point that after the annual PHA show, that all involved should take a giant step back and consider the very big picture, including all those who currently are exhibitors, but who may for one reason or another not even be aware of the existance of the PHA or that there even is an organization available for them to join. In other words, to reach out not only to the LIHSAA, but to reassess the whole works from the bottom up to see if there is a better way to operate, considering all available resources and methods and what such an overhaul might be able to achieve in the way of new goals, ie more active membership, responsive leadership, special events (clinics/ seminars / trips abroad) publicity, sponsorship...we get so wrapped up in the day to day way we are used to doing things, that we may be overlooking a fantastic opportunity to create a very dynamic organization that could get things done on a level that we haven't up till now even considered.

I could only hope we could form something like that, and really get things done. First and foremost we need to put together a team of people that are willing to put time into it. They are out there. All the powers that be need to do is ask! I am hopeful new blood will start to come out of the woodwork!
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

coming out of the woodwork would benefit them....I have to admit that it was years, and years before I even realized that the PHA was open to those who are not professionals. Even now, after becoming a bona fide dues paying member, I am not totally clear on what it exactly is that I am getting for my membership dollars, other than the right to speak up as a member at meetings. I am also assuming that our PHA is but a local chapter of the National PHA, which is one reason that I think that the structure of the LIHSAA and the PHA and their relationship to each other and to exhibitors (meaning professioinals, amateurs, and junior competitors at the shows) and to the equestrian community at large needs to be evaluated and the question needs to be asked: is this the most efficient way to achieve whatever goals we decide to make a priority in the upcoming years--on Long Island we face many pressures from outside and inside the sport. Its not just about counting points towards awards, which is something we are already pretty good at, despite the recent controversey over how we do this.

In my opinion the local chapter of the PHA works very hard with a small amount of volunteers to get things done. It holds its A rated horse show, Dinner dance, seminars and keeps us informed on happenings in zone 2. As long as you attend the meetings you can keep on top of things going on. LIHSAA seemed to hold a secret meeting once a year and really did not follow through on many needed things to help upscale L.I. Granted more and more horse shows are have been added since LIHSAA started. People may have just gotten tired and lost the drive to get things done. This is where a merge could help give them the lift it needs with new blood willing to really take the bull by the horns and get moving. Getting people motivated-key phrase here!
    Stevie Nicks

I think this last discrepancy over the point system shook up alot of people that usually take the "back seat" to most of the goings on of our show community. And we should take advantage of this opportunity, now. Times have changed. There are more shows and more people involved in them than 20 years ago. The system needs an update. There are a lot more livelihoods at stake and they need to be correctly represented, as well as the "Hobbiests."
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

does anyone here have a good refernce to a sales barn in NY? I have a mare that will be very competeive in the big shows. If someone could email me or pst a farm/trainer I would really appreciate it. I need a trainer that does the big shows or a referal to them. THANKS!!!!

Lisa

Found a diner to have the meetings at. Its the New Horizon diner which is on Veterans Memorial Highway in Islandia, close to the expressway.
    They cannot close the room off but will divide a large room in the back, put tables together. I think it will work. If anyone wants to check it out they can. They do expect some people to order dinners, although I told them that number varies. I guess I'll be eatting dinner there next month. Didn't see Bread Bowls on the menu!
    NO CHARGE for the room, just order FOOD. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Is that one East of the Blue Dawn diner? It is ringing a bell but cann't picture where it is. Thanks for doing the leg-work on this one Linda. I like the idea of having a section for us and not cramped into a little room. What do you think guys?
    Stevie Nicks

anyplace closer to the Expressway! That drive down 111 was way longer than I thought it would be...we can all pretty much judge how long it will take to get to places closer to the well beaten 495.

Debbie, this is the old Blue Dawn Diner, all redone. Do you know where it is? Its east of the expressway on Vets Hwy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Linda- now I know exactly where it is. Did not know the blue Dawn changed hands. I think that place will be perfect. It is right off the expressway. Mary- just a short little drive. Mrs. Rice if you are out there what do you think? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

I sent Mrs. Rice e-mail about the new diner. Don't know if she got it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I will call Mrs. Rice by tomorrow if no one has heard from her. I know I had some calls from people who missed the PHA meeting and vowed that with what has been going on they will not miss a meeting. I just need to tell them where it is.
    Actually, on that note, Mrs. Rice- what do we think of when people sign in at the meeting ask them to write their address down also if they are not on the mailing list. Sounds to me that could use an update since some people have not been getting the postcard in the mail!
    Stevie Nicks

And maybe they could put their e-mail addresses on the sign-in sheet too.

So where is everybody? Now that it is finally Spring, I guess everyone has a life again!!

Just got off the phone with Mrs. Rice and she is going to get in touch with Dick London and let him know about the new meeting place and see if all agree with the new diner. I guess we will know shortly so people can be notified of the change.
    Thanks Janet. I think there are more people then we realise that would attend the meetings if they knew when they were. Last few meetings have had more bodies in the room so I hope it keeps growing.
    Stevie Nicks

I tried toget Dick LOndon, was not home, left message. He had offered his home which is two blocks from Country Kitchen. If he calls backI will let everyone know. I think it's a great idea to have everyone sign in and add their address and their e-mail address. The e-mail address makes it so much simpler to let people know what going on.
    We need as many people as possible at the next meeting to get this LIHSAA problem settled - should really be an active part of the PHA, not some separate entity.

That was very nice of Dick to offer his house for the meetings. As we all go there for dinner, will he have the meeting catered!?! If so, there is a big demand for bread bowls!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Picture all of us complaining at Dicks house because there are no god d*** bread bowls! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

I don't think Dick is the Bread Bowl type, more like cheese and crackers, probably brie with apple and pear slices. Maybe even a little pepperoni, what do ya think????????????????? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]