The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The PHA meeting last night went very well with Dick London presiding, as Alvin was away at a show.

We discussed the finalizing of the horse show- Laura brought the schedule and is ready for the prize list to go to the printer today. The only thing we are missing is a caterer. Karin has a business associate that does catering and will investigate that further.

Barbara Messina was in attendance as well, to tell us about her new website, www.FantasticEquineWebsites.com. She has a BB there and has offered it to the group, at least until Michael gets one going on the LIHSAA's site. Please check it out and let us know if y'all think we should take our discussions there.

A quick talk of next year's dinner occurred, and then some discussion of the LIHSAA rule proposal took place. Other that Mrs. Rice, Laura, and myself, no other LIHSAA members were present. We all(everyone at the meeting) agreed that the proposed rule should be touched on at future meetings. Debby Deleyer asked for a revamping of the current method of contacting the LIHSAA board and it was suggested that perhaps the LIHSAA should be governed by the LIPHA. Then topics could be brought up at PHA meetings and would be brought to the Board's attention via the PHA.

So now this idea will be presented to LIHSAA and an invitation extended to attend the next PHA meeting on May 8th.

So what are your thoughts on this new potential relationship of these 2 groups? We want your opinions on this, and how you think it will affect the future of our sport on Long Island.

As stated before, the next PHA meeting will be on May 8th- TUESDAY at 7:30pm. Linda Prisco is looking into the use of the diner in Smithtown.
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

The PHA meeting last night went very well with Dick London presiding, as Alvin was away at a show.

We discussed the finalizing of the horse show- Laura brought the schedule and is ready for the prize list to go to the printer today. The only thing we are missing is a caterer. Karin has a business associate that does catering and will investigate that further.

Barbara Messina was in attendance as well, to tell us about her new website, www.FantasticEquineWebsites.com. She has a BB there and has offered it to the group, at least until Michael gets one going on the LIHSAA's site. Please check it out and let us know if y'all think we should take our discussions there.

A quick talk of next year's dinner occurred, and then some discussion of the LIHSAA rule proposal took place. Other that Mrs. Rice, Laura, and myself, no other LIHSAA members were present. We all(everyone at the meeting) agreed that the proposed rule should be touched on at future meetings. Debby Deleyer asked for a revamping of the current method of contacting the LIHSAA board and it was suggested that perhaps the LIHSAA should be governed by the LIPHA. Then topics could be brought up at PHA meetings and would be brought to the Board's attention via the PHA.

So now this idea will be presented to LIHSAA and an invitation extended to attend the next PHA meeting on May 8th.

So what are your thoughts on this new potential relationship of these 2 groups? We want your opinions on this, and how you think it will affect the future of our sport on Long Island.

As stated before, the next PHA meeting will be on May 8th- TUESDAY at 7:30pm. Linda Prisco is looking into the use of the diner in Smithtown.

it is a long time coming!!!!!Hopefully this will happen I think it is a must
    Brilyntrip

Great job Janet on the PHA meeting recap! I was glad to see the room full. Thanks Linda for checking out the new location for us. No bread bowls, but, I think we can get through it!!
    I feel [as you all know] the LIHSAA is in dire need of remodeling. A merge with the PHA and having both work together I think is a good idea. The community will be more involved and votes will be taken with the board knowing the feelings of the general public. Closed meetings and closed voting does not let the board see how the majority feels. Besides, that just makes everyone who is out there in the trenches every week feel their input is not a factor and it should be.
    As far as who is on that board, now that also in my opinion needs a major face lift. People on that board as I have said, do not even attend PHA meetings and some have just lost touch with the public!
    Lots of work ahead for L.I. No time like now to get some wheels in motion!
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

Especially since there are no meetings in July or August- September's will be a humdinger!!

So Gold Dust- If the LIHSAA is to be revamped, who or how many do you think should be on it? And should it still be responsible for the divisions and their specs?? And what about "policing" the shows? What are some ideas on handling that?

I hope that there will be an even representation of horse show managers, trainers, and exhibitors on it. All of which should be high profile- avid in the PHA and horse show community ON Long Island.

Let's see,where to start! First off I think the LIHSAA should still handle class specs. I also think it should follow through with show standards. It should be a mild version of the so called 'horse show police'. If horse show managers do not comply with what is asked of them actions should be taken. This is not an easy thing to do but in the long run it will make L.I. horse shows represent our home turf properly.
    As far as comittee members the most important requirement I would think is being active on L.I. and able to attend meetings. If once a month is too much to ask of a board member then really, think about it, should they represent the majority? How about adding some professional trainers and riders, a L.I.judge and possibly an exhibitor?
    Just a start here guys. Fell free to jump in any time now!!!!
    Stevie Nicks

I think adding some professional trainers,riders, judges and exhibitors is a GREAT idea. Those are the people who are out there and have a pretty good handle on whats going on at the horse shows.I also think Janet would be a good candidate for POLICING the Horse Shows, dont you????????? She could even wear orange.
    But on a serious note, how would you go about this new face lift? Do these people get voted in, chosen in, added in, how would that be done?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

In the olden days, the LIHSAA board consisted of mostly show managers. Since there were maybe 20 or shows that ran during the show season(April Fool's Day to Halloween) it was created to encourage more showing and to reward excellence.

One was appointed to the board, after the name was tossed around a bit by the board members, I guess.

In more recent years, I can only speak for myself- I begged the right people, I guess. I felt the board, at that time, needed some fresh blood and thought I could offer a new viewpoint to the group.
    People are still appointed, mostly to replace those that are disinterested, or have moved away.

But if it were to be governed by the PHA, I should think that it would be appointed by them as well, no?

I agree with Deb- PAID PHA members should be the number one requirement. But I think there should be designated slots- 2 managers, 2 professionals, 2 exhibitors(a parent might even do), 2 AHSA judges, and an AHSA steward. That would be 9, an appropriate odd number for voting time. All should be active in our show community and attend PHA meetings regularly.

As far as policing the shows, the PHA members have always done that themselves. But not a lot has been done to improve any of the problems found. That needs to be fixed by both associations working together and deciding whether fines should be implemented or other means of "punishment" need to be imposed.

Your ideas sound good!! If the LIHSAA should ever be governed by the PHA, then it would make sense that this "New Blood" should be appointed by them as well. But getting the LIHSAA linked with the PHA would be a task in itself, no????????? How would that fly?????
    On another note, the new diner is a no go. They wont close the room off at night, too busy!!
    Sorry, thought it was a good idea. Are we back to the Country Kitchen. I sent Mrs. Rice e-mail on this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Just got the image of Janet, dressed in orange with a little badge that says 'horse show police', go there, it is hysterical!!!!
    Thanks for trying the new diner Linda. There is another diner up the street and closer to the LIE. Should I check it out?
    Now, everyone, don't jump in all at once here! Need some imput here!!! Now- your idea is good Janet, but, since we are proposing a merge with the PHA shouldn't officers possibly become automatic board members then do an additional 9? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

Just wanted to ask you guys. Nothing to do with the thread. We are doing major ring renovations so alot of firewood has become avilable. If you know anyone who needs any tell them to come on over with their chainsaw this weekend! Thanks guys! Hey, now heres an idea- maybe I should have the PHA meeting here and tell everyone one bread bowl with every load of firewood you take out of here! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

I went there Debbie, its very hysterical, Janet dressed in orange, badge that says Horse Show Police, and a little orange hat, in the winter orange ear muffs. Dont you think she would do a good job??????????
    On the diner thing, theres the old Blue Dawn on Vets Highway, not too far from the Exp. Is that the one you mean. You could check it out. Theres another one on Vets Hwy. closer to 111, theres a pool place next to it. I'll try to check that one out.
    I like the idea of the Bread Bowls with the firewood though! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

See Linda- It had me rolling on the floor! i wish they had an orange smiley face here!!!!
    The diner on vets is 'The Paradise' diner. Let me know how that goes. There is also Hidden pond diner on 111 and yup- blue dawn diner. All of these are close to the LIE. Let me know if you need me to check any of those out. You know I will just leave the ball in your court if you don't tell me you need help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Believe you me linda- I am getting desperate. I am about to start a classified add for the bread bowl slash firewood thingy!!!!!
    Stevie Nicks

So many diners, so little time..........
    I think we need to change the yellow smileys to orange, they changed the color of the pages last week, why cant we change the smileys. Lets have a vote!
    I'll check out the diners, should I ask if they have any bread bowls????? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

1 - janet in her orange jeans is too funny with a little badge and a clip board?? In winter she could wear her orange coat totally impossible to miss her!!
    2- Having been on the board of directors of three horse show associations this is how it usually went.
    10 to 12 members usually voted on by membership.
    Three pros three managers three OFFicials i.e. judges stewards rest active members i.e. amateurs parents.These groups met each month.Committees were as follows rule enforcement,executive committee,membership,special events,hunter equitation pony etc etc.Theses groups have a rule book which is sent or given to memebers upon reciept of their dues each yr.board of directors elects pres.,vice pres.,treasurer, they sit for three yrs and cannot sit for more than two terms.
    So i think it should be a requirementthat to vote or sit on board you must be a paid member of PHA shows pay dues to LIHSAA as before.If shows haveto pay for right to hold PHA class then that money goes to pha right/??/If I have missed anything let me know.
    Brilyntrip

OK- I am sorry- I forgot- The Chairperson of the PHA is automatically on the LIHSAA board. So maybe just one judge then. Anyway, the board needs to be balanced and all aspects of the show community well represented. Secretaries and horse show employees could work too, perhaps. Just so long as each member is educated to the goings on of the horse show industry on Long Island. Right now I'm not sure if all the High Score members know of the 20 Show Rule Proposal!!! I should hope they do, but judging by PHA and LIHSAA meeting attendance, it's a possibility that one or two do not as yet.

As to my policing the shows, can I have an orange clipboard??

Dues paid by shows to hold PHA classes go to the PHA. And dues for LIHSAA divisions go to the LIHSAA. Those pay for the awards each year and Michael, I presume.

That set up that you described sounds pretty good. I don't know if we should limit term length to 3 years, though. We'll run out of perspective candidates quickly. Maybe every 5 years- and it maybe should be staggered so a whole new entourage doesn't set up shop every 3-5 years.

Also if it gets too detailed no one will go for it!!

***And an orange fine line pen, please***

***And if I need to write up a show, they'll receive an Orange Slip***

Now we are rolling. I like the 3, 3, and 3 members. I think all the little seperate entities may be too much at first. Just putting together an updated board and the merge will be enough work in itself. I love the ideas of officials, trainers, managers and exhibitors. We need a more diverse representation of the whole community. Yes Janet, you have a point with holding a term for at least 3 years. It will take that long to get the new system properly running.
    Laura,when you pop back in I was wondering if you have spoken to Carolyn and see if she has any theories here. I am sure she has some ideas already. Please let us know!
    Janet,I myself feel you should stay on the comittee [with all sincerity you are a valued member in my opinion] and I will furnish you with all the orange props you need!!!!
    Stevie Nicks

Thanks for the recap, Janet! orange clipboard huh? let me see what I can do! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer