The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default San Juan Capistrano: Bourbon Bay & Eagle Poise - wow

A really thrilling race at Santa Anita for the closing day of the meet with the $150,000 Grade 2 San Juan Capistrano on the turf at 1 3/4 mil distance Sunday!

You can watch the replay over and over and I still would call it a dead heat that nobody wouldn't predicted 1/4 mile away from the wire. Nobody!

Bourbon Bay came from so far away he could've been hanging out in the San Gabriel Mountains and swooped in. As Trevor would've said "but would have to spout wings" ... and I think he has

Eagle Poise was purchased by Steeplechase Times co-founder/owner Sean Clancy and Mark Grier for $65,000. This after he had been with Bill Mott’s Juddmonte Farm contingent at Santa Anita the winter of 2010 - then auctioned in November. Aimed to be a 'chaser he instead had been returned to flat racing due to the unique 'marathon' distance of this race.

The other option was the Grade 3 Fifth Third Elkhorn Stakes at Keeneland this coming Friday.

See the replay video here directly - upsportingly Magna has cracked down hard on youtube replays of races on their tracks from CA to FL to MD

I think Bourbon Bay is a great older horse so the victory is sweet but honestly it looks like a dead-heat (save for maybe the most flared nostril) - win photo is here with BB #2 and Eagle Poise #4.

I think Sean's brother Joe is happy with the effort from this tweet at SA

The fractions in that can't be right. It says they went the last 1/4 in 17sec That would be completely insane, nay impossible.

The distance is officially given as "about One and Three Fourth Miles", but I'm thinking it's more like 13.5f than 14f. Which would make sense as the downhill course at SA is around 6.5f at it's full extension, plus the 7f on the regular turf course.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Bourbon Bay is certainly royally bred for stamina and speed. He's the best get of Sligo Bay by far.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire