The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Easyboot Gaiters -- Too big!

I haven't ordered any boots in awhile, but I recently got a new pony, and ordered him a new pair of Epics. They came with the updated gaiters. He's a draft cross, and measured for a size 5. I get them, and go to put them on today, and the gaiter is too big! I mean, it's HUGE! I had the first strap completely doubled back (neoprene and all, not just the velcro strap!), and ended up with *maybe* one inch of velcro actually touching, and they were still just as loose as they could be... as in, completely useless. He has round feet, they measure 6.25" x 6.25". The boots were a little on the big size, but a 12mm comfort pad helped take up the fit. I just did a little light riding at a walk today, but I worry that they wont stay on at speed/deep footing.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Is there anything I can do?

Maybe try to order just a smaller gaiter? The EasyCare folks have a good reputation for customer service, so I'd give them a call. You can replace just the gaiter. A friend did the opposite: ordered larger gaiter for her thick-legged horse.
    "Do your best, and leave the rest, twill all come right, some day or night" -Black Beauty

http://trails-and-trials-with-major.blogspot.com/

I had the same problem. I have a Belgian/T'bred cross and the size 5 boot fit his feet but the gaiter was huge. Unfortunately, the gaiters will only fit the size they are made for. I cut off my gaiter and had a local guy re-sew the velcro to make it fit.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.