The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm in need of some opinions please.

And opinions are rather plentiful here.

I am trying to plan what 4 year college I want to apply/transfer to once I complete my Associate's degree. I currently live in Oklahoma and go to a community college here, but I am in love with Sweet Briar College in Virginia. Mostly for the horsey location and the riding program.

When I was a junior in high school, I had visited quite a few horsey colleges, but Sweet Briar has just stayed with me.

Now onto where I need your opinions. When I transfer, I would obviously be a junior in college. Would it be worth my time to apply/transfer to Sweet Briar and try out for the riding team as a junior? (I'm not even sure if I *could* try out as a junior, I have to contact them)

Ever since I started riding horses, I've wanted to go to a horse college and join the riding team, but finances got in the way and local community college was the only option.

I am either going to major in public relations or political science, if that is a factor.

Thanks in advance!

~Pen

Education is a great thing, what do you want from your education ?

I would go to the best college/university that you can and not worry whether it has a college horse program or not. Depending on the location, you may be able to find other ways to get involved with riding. There will be plenty of opportunities down the road to get involved with horses, but very few times in your life when you will be able to devote 100% of your time to your education.

As a Sweet Briar student, I say apply! I'll be a junior next year too.

Seriously, at Sweet Briar you'll get an excellent (albeit expensive) education that will serve you well in the real world. The professors are excellent and approachable, and the class sizes are small enough for individual attention. Everyone knows your name here. And riding wise, there are tons of opportunities for you. There are several teams you can try out for (IHSA, ANRC, Hunter/Jumper show team, field team) and the quality of horses and instruction are great.

Sweet Briar is a great school for a lot of people, especially those interested in horses and riding. There are a bunch of transfer students that join the riding program seamlessly. As for joining a team as a junior, it depends on what team you want to try out for. If you are interested in IHSA or ANRC, you could certainly try out (IHSA tryouts are in early september, ANRC are at the end of first semester). Hunter Team or Fall Feild team would have to wait until your senior year, as those tryouts are held in the spring.

Feel free to PM with any questions, there are SO many great schools out there.

Good Luck!

I completely understand the getting my education taken care of first and foremost. That's a given. I'm planning on a bachelor's and eventually working on my doctorate.

What do I want from my education? I'm not really sure how to answer that. I've been leaning towards teaching political science at the post-secondary level. So I'm obviously going to need more than a bachelor's.

SBC is in the top 100 as far as rankings go for liberal arts colleges, so it's not a bad school.

SBC is the exact type of college I'm looking for: small, private, suburban/rural, good location. It just has the perk of having an excellent riding program to boot.

What I want to know, however, is whether I could potentially join the riding team as a junior.

If it turns out that I really wouldn't get any benefit horse-wise, that's fine. I'll just focus on school and take lessons outside of the program. If it turns out that I can still join and benefit, then great. Either way, my education will come first.

Hope I explained that well enough!

~Pen

Quote Originally Posted by spankythechestnut View Post
    Sweet Briar is a great school for a lot of people, especially those interested in horses and riding. There are a bunch of transfer students that join the riding program seamlessly. As for joining a team as a junior, it depends on what team you want to try out for. If you are interested in IHSA or ANRC, you could certainly try out (IHSA tryouts are in early september, ANRC are at the end of first semester). Hunter Team or Fall Feild team would have to wait until your senior year, as those tryouts are held in the spring.

Feel free to PM with any questions, there are SO many great schools out there.

Good Luck!
    Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know!