The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    I usually wash my pony the day before a show. However the next day her hind white socks are dirty! Then by the time we get to the show it's worse. I have had to do last minute washes at shows but this is not ideal. Pony hates water to touch her and she just gets a bad attitude about the whole thing. I am thinking of wrapping her back legs in polo wraps after her bath and for trailering. What do the rest of you do?
    go get yourself some chalk from the feed shops or tack shop simply apply then brush in , lunge for a few sec to get excess of then wipe the hoof with plain water and dry job done

GLS! Where have you been???? I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago....

I used to show a black mare with a blaze and four white socks and a love of poop sleeping.

I found spray paint at the tack store (horse friendly) and just spray painted her a half hour or so before we went into the ring. You have to be careful not to get too excited with the paint, and I'd test it out at home so you're sure your horse isn't going to freak over it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine-...10-oz--5009952

I found that this works pretty well.

I wash my horse's four white socks and tail after every ride (time & weather allowing) with Mane n' Tail (shampoo on socks, shampoo and conditioner on tail). That way, stains don't set in and he stays nice and clean. I do his mane maybe once every two weeks. I get the gallon jugs from Amazon. If his socks are really nasty at the show, I wash them with QuickSilver after we school every morning.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Alright...I've got no bows with standing wraps, wood flour, quicksilver, chalk and Jhirmack Silver Brightening shampoo all en route! LOL My girl also has feathers so I'll report in on what works! I saw a white colored spray today that also has some "hold" ability. I might try it pre-show to see if it fluffs and whitens her big feathers! I'll report back after May 19 with the best results :-)
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

has anyone ever tried corn starch and water mixed to a paste and left to dry?
    i have herd this works well but have never tried it. i have a show coming up in a few weeks and my gelding has 2 socks and lives outside. im going to try and do this the night before and see how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post
    has anyone ever tried corn starch and water mixed to a paste and left to dry?
    i have herd this works well but have never tried it. i have a show coming up in a few weeks and my gelding has 2 socks and lives outside. im going to try and do this the night before and see how it turns out
    I was taught to get the legs damp, then cover with corn starch, almost like breading chicken, on the day of the show. We alwasys clipped legs too.

I've used the spray white and it's great. You do have to be careful or hooves can end up unnaturally white. Thankfully that pony had black stripes in his hooves. He got another to cover the over spray.

I helped a guy, every one of his horses had at least 2 white legs, most had four. We got some cheap tube socks and put them on in the stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrnRideIrish View Post
    Keep hair on his/her socks clipped. Clip the fur about a week (or two) ahead in case you may have track marks from bad clippers. Buy rubbing alcohol and quick silver (or a blueing shampoo) and a spray bottle. Fill the spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and add a small amount (approx 1 tbsp) of quick silver to the alcohol. Shake the bottle and spray liberally on the socks (do one sock at a time). Bring a towel because you will want to thoroughly dry the socks immediately after. I learned this trick a few years ago and it has been a no fail way to get white socks, well, white!
    I prefer to add regular laundry bluing instead of Quicksilver because then you're not leaving soap on their legs which could cause itching.

When I was showing draft horses we would wash those big hairy white legs by scrubbing them with shampoo and stiff floor scrub brushes and then cover them in sulfur powder while they were still wet. It's bright yellow, but when you brush it off the next morning after it dries, the legs are bright white underneath.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    go get yourself some chalk from the feed shops or tack shop simply apply then brush in , lunge for a few sec to get excess of then wipe the hoof with plain water and dry job done
    I have a TWH, and at our shows where feet are inspected, any foreign substance is not allowed, so this has never been an option for me, but it is a good solution where others don't have that rule. I have seen corn starch or baby powder used in the same way as well.
    "The best hearts are ever the bravest"

I wash my horses white legs (2) with quick silver the night before. In the am I wash legs again with regular shampoo, towel dry, show sheen, put on shipping boots and load in trailer to go to show. Seems to work fine.

Even if you wash the morning of the show (at the crack of dawn!) you can have issues. I have had good luck with trying to make sure the legs are dry before turning them back into a stall. Also, you can buy the white spray--but you said her socks are cream and not white so maybe that's not an option.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...