The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keeping Socks White Day Before a Show

I usually wash my pony the day before a show. However the next day her hind white socks are dirty! Then by the time we get to the show it's worse. I have had to do last minute washes at shows but this is not ideal. Pony hates water to touch her and she just gets a bad attitude about the whole thing. I am thinking of wrapping her back legs in polo wraps after her bath and for trailering. What do the rest of you do?
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Shave closely, clean with Quiksilver or equivalent, apply ShowSheen liberally.

1 members found this post helpful.

yep. clip and spray with some sort of silicon based spray.

Keep legs shaved for quick wash and dry. It also looks good then keep pillows on that go to the cornet. Don't wash until after your last schooling ride.

Baby powder! It makes anything that is supposed to be white (i.e. ponies!) white and soft! Apply to face or leg markings (or whole bodies) before showing There was a little grey pony that would always get the runs trailering to a show and this was a priceless tip to help whitten his bum up after scrubbing vigorously to try to remove the lovely green streaks! :P

But a CLEAN set of wraps on securely can also help. As does shaving good luck!
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Clip legs regularly, wash with Quicksilver and apply ShowSheen.

Pack baby wipes and powder for last minute touch-ups instead of re-washing.

If you want to wrap, do it right. Polo wraps don't belong in stalls or on trailers. Measure your horse from the bottom of the hock to the coronary band and buy quilts that will cover him, and standing wraps.

You can either wrap like it's a standing wrap (i.e. stop wrapping at the fetlock), and just leave the extra quilt loose to cover the lower portion of the sock, or you can learn to apply a shipping wraps (i.e., wrap all the way down underneath the heels).

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Clip legs regularly, wash with Quicksilver and apply ShowSheen.

Pack baby wipes and powder for last minute touch-ups instead of re-washing.

If you want to wrap, do it right. Polo wraps don't belong in stalls or on trailers. Measure your horse from the bottom of the hock to the coronary band and buy quilts that will cover him, and standing wraps.

You can either wrap like it's a standing wrap (i.e. stop wrapping at the fetlock), and just leave the extra quilt loose to cover the lower portion of the sock, or you can learn to apply a shipping wraps (i.e., wrap all the way down underneath the heels).
    Thanks!
    Dawn

One problem I have with clipping her legs is that it changes her color. Her socks are really a cream color as are her mane and tail (Haflinger) and when I clip her legs close they turn white and don't match her mane and tail. I have removed her feathers but I can hardly believe how hairy this pony is around her fetlocks and legs. I have trimmed to just bring in a more refined look. I try to remember that the judge will not be on down on the ground looking at her legs but still I know!
    Dawn

I used show sheen on a grey hunter; wrapping the legs could help, just not too tight! The show sheen made any dirt stains able to be wiped off easily
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Sidesaddle Rider gave me a nifty tip for getting those whites really white. I thought she was nuts but gave it a try. For high holy days I have to get my horses high whites sparkling clean. I bathe the horse the night before but by the morning the whites are not always still clean.

Simple Green. I mix some Simple Green in which the shampoo and scrub the legs until they are gleaming. Rinse well, towel dry or dry naturally. Show Sheen to help repel dirt.

Any dirt can be spot cleaned the next morning. Finish off the legs with some corn starch of talcum powder.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have a gelding with a white sock on front that he LOVES to get dirty in his poo the night before a show. I always wrap it in a polo. Problem solved!
    "The best hearts are ever the bravest"

Yep, same issue. Gelding with 4 high stockings. I clip well before the show (to allow for some growth back), wash the morning OF the show, and wrap those legs with full shipping wraps.

Clip, wash and smother with show sheen. It does not matter if your horse's tail and socks match. Any sock less than white (or Pink) look dirty for the show ring.
    friend of bar*ka

Default A little trick...

Keep hair on his/her socks clipped. Clip the fur about a week (or two) ahead in case you may have track marks from bad clippers. Buy rubbing alcohol and quick silver (or a blueing shampoo) and a spray bottle. Fill the spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and add a small amount (approx 1 tbsp) of quick silver to the alcohol. Shake the bottle and spray liberally on the socks (do one sock at a time). Bring a towel because you will want to thoroughly dry the socks immediately after. I learned this trick a few years ago and it has been a no fail way to get white socks, well, white!

Thankfully my show horse only has one white leg! But to keep it white I drench it in show sheen after bathing and let it dry before it touches any dirt. Then I come armed the following morning with baby wipes and baby powder which work wonders on any stains he has gotten overnight, or even after trailering.

I was just about to post this so I'll bump this up! My girl...4 high whites. I was going to get standing wraps and quilts and then thought...can I just put on my shipping boots? They are Courbette, Velcro and cover from coronet to hock. But would they get too hot? Uncomfortable? Any thoughts?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Polos are NOT for stalls and trailers. Or turnout, for that matter. Learn how to do standing/shipping wraps...I prefer no-bows to quilts. It's a very handy thing to know how to do anyway.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'm also a big fan of Cowboy Magic's green spot remover for spot cleaning the day of a show, though it's a part of my bathing regimen too when I'm show-bathing. After bathing, I'll liberally spray with the green spot remover in the areas that tend to get the most dingy (on my mostly white horse)...so his fetlock area and tail for sure and on his hocks.

Then the morning of I'll spray again and carry it with me to the show since he likes to poop on the trailer.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Polos are NOT for stalls and trailers. Or turnout, for that matter. Learn how to do standing/shipping wraps...I prefer no-bows to quilts. It's a very handy thing to know how to do anyway.
    Polo wraps were all I used to use to trailer with back in the day. My trainer at the time had been using them for eons, and never had a problem. I too have never had a problem using polo wraps to trailer with. We would wrap the white legs the night before a show, too. They were in 12x12 stalls overnight.

Now I just trailer him nekkid except for bell boots, but when I'm going to a show I wrap his back legs with polos so his stockings don't get completely gross.

Bathe the night before, liberal amounts of show sheen or the equivalent, and really work it into the hair using your (clean) hands. Depending on the show sometimes I rewash legs with whitening shampoo the morning of, again spray with SS, then wrap once they are not soaking wet. Towel drying with a VERY clean (pref. white) towel helps, too.

And Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover is your friend. This coming from the person who showed a white Arab gelding every weekend April-Oct for six years. He would spend the night in his stall looking like the Michelin man...slinky, sheet, and polos. He would still find a way to get sh!t on him though...

Default Let the legs dry

I used to have a similar problem where the hind whites would always be dirty the next day, on several different horses (fronts would typically stay pretty clean). Then I thought, why not let the legs dry prior to moving the horse off cement? Thoroughly towel her legs after washing (go through 3 or 4 towels doing this) and then let her stand on cement/rubber. Give her a hay net to keep her calm if needed. I find any dirt that makes it's way onto the socks while they're still wet sticks (even with show sheen). If the legs are completely dry the dirt tends to fall/wipe/brush off.

A mare of mine had VERY thick hair and booting up (clipping) her socks looked ridiculous. The contrast was too much, even with a guard on the clippers. I just got in the habit of washing her socks every week. This kept them from getting too stained and they were just as white for the shows as all the booted up legs out there.

Also agree with the baby powder tip. Rub it into the hair. I keep it in my ring-side touch up bucket.

If you do wrap, the legs MUST be dry prior to wrapping or you will wind up with creases and lines in the hair. If your horse sweats under their wraps you will get creases in the hair then too. Wrapping is not always a practical solution to keeping the legs white.

I would not leave a horse in shipping boots in a stall. They get hot and most horses don't find them to be particularly comfortable. You want your horse comfortable and happy the night before a show don't you