The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 116
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    I just want to remind everyone of three things. The first one being ALWAYS wear your seatbelt! Even if you are going slow or a short distance. The second one being don't drink and drive; even if it's like 1 or 2 drinks! The last being to ALWAYS pay attention to the road! Here's my story....
    I went to a BBQ last night at a friends house. We were having a great time and I had a few beers. (I know, i'm only 17 but nobody ever thinks they'll get caught!) I left around 10:30 to go home because I was suppose to work this morning. Well I was driving home and I was like 5 minutes from my house. I had dropped my chapstick and I bent down to pick it up. I ran right off the road and hit a road sign and telephone poll head on. The air bags came out and started to smoke and the doors were jammed truck. I thought the truck was going to blow up because I saw the smoke and figured it was from the engine or something. I thought for sure I was dead. I tried to break my window to get out but I couldnt. Someone called 911 and they helped me stay calm until they were able to pry the door open. I had a hay bale in the bed and it flew out onto the highway so I was able to sit on that until the ambulance came. I was put on the stretcher and taken to the hospital. I sprained ligiments in my left knee, and hurt my collar bone and my neck. If I didn't have my seatbelt on, I would have been killed and if I would have had a passenger, they would have been killed on impact no matter what. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    My truck is totaled for sure. I have a court date around the end of the month. My license will be suspended for a few months probably. I know I will be flamed on here for being stupid. I didn't post this for sympathy though. I posted it to remind all of you how easy it is to have a horrible crash. I am going to post pictures of my truck later today.
    I hope everyone else had a safe and happy 4th of July.
    ~Steph
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

    *Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    *Desperado* 1998 Dutch/TB gelding by Glendale
    *Blazin' Magic* 2000 Welsh/TB gelding
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    I just want to remind everyone of three things. The first one being ALWAYS wear your seatbelt! Even if you are going slow or a short distance. The second one being don't drink and drive; even if it's like 1 or 2 drinks! The last being to ALWAYS pay attention to the road! Here's my story....
    I went to a BBQ last night at a friends house. We were having a great time and I had a few beers. (I know, i'm only 17 but nobody ever thinks they'll get caught!) I left around 10:30 to go home because I was suppose to work this morning. Well I was driving home and I was like 5 minutes from my house. I had dropped my chapstick and I bent down to pick it up. I ran right off the road and hit a road sign and telephone poll head on. The air bags came out and started to smoke and the doors were jammed truck. I thought the truck was going to blow up because I saw the smoke and figured it was from the engine or something. I thought for sure I was dead. I tried to break my window to get out but I couldnt. Someone called 911 and they helped me stay calm until they were able to pry the door open. I had a hay bale in the bed and it flew out onto the highway so I was able to sit on that until the ambulance came. I was put on the stretcher and taken to the hospital. I sprained ligiments in my left knee, and hurt my collar bone and my neck. If I didn't have my seatbelt on, I would have been killed and if I would have had a passenger, they would have been killed on impact no matter what. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    My truck is totaled for sure. I have a court date around the end of the month. My license will be suspended for a few months probably. I know I will be flamed on here for being stupid. I didn't post this for sympathy though. I posted it to remind all of you how easy it is to have a horrible crash. I am going to post pictures of my truck later today.
    I hope everyone else had a safe and happy 4th of July.
    ~Steph
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

    *Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    *Desperado* 1998 Dutch/TB gelding by Glendale
    *Blazin' Magic* 2000 Welsh/TB gelding
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2000
    Posts
    9,032

    Default

    I am going to try very, very hard to hold my tongue, but I have such issues with this. As soon as you lose a loved one due to a drunk driver, you lose all respect for anybody who drives after drinking.

    I always, always, always make sure I have a DD before I start drinking, and if no one else will, I WILL.

    I am glad you are ok, but remember you could've hit an innocent (sober) person instead of a telephone pole. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

    "Because she's got a tattoo, Hank. I think she could use a home-cooked meal."



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2000
    Posts
    3,803

    Default

    Good thing you're ok and you didn't hurt anyone else. We all do stupid stuff. It's whether you learn from the experience or not that tells what kind of person you really are-and it sounds like you did learn from this.

    Do they have zero tolerence where you are, or is that only IL? I can't remember if all the states have that or not...
    ---WHX---



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 1999
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,187

    Default

    if you were in PA you would lose your license until you turn 21.

    Glad that you are ok, and gladder still that you didn't hurt anyone else.
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 26, 2000
    Posts
    3,677

    Default

    very glad you were lucky and that no one else got hurt, either!

    I hope your story serves its intended purpose, which is to show others that it CAN and DOES happen!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2000
    Location
    CA NA DA
    Posts
    5,601

    Default

    Ditto what everyone else said. I lost my cousin and a few friends to drunk drivers, and saw the suffering my other cousin caused by his stupidity.

    I'm glad your o.k and that your learning from it just don't forget it. You do now have a right to nagg all your friends who try to do what you did, they (or the innocent people around them) might not be so lucky.

    Didn't we have another "non sober" driver post not too long ago about being pulled over and blood drawn? Anyone know the outcome of that?

    ~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    Here are some pics.

    *Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    *Desperado* 1998 Dutch/TB gelding by Glendale
    *Blazin' Magic* 2000 Welsh/TB gelding
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    another

    *Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    *Desperado* 1998 Dutch/TB gelding by Glendale
    *Blazin' Magic* 2000 Welsh/TB gelding
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    yet another pic

    *Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    *Desperado* 1998 Dutch/TB gelding by Glendale
    *Blazin' Magic* 2000 Welsh/TB gelding
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    last one...
    Once again, I am sorry this happened. I have lost friends too so that makes it even worse that I would actually do something like this.

    *Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    *Desperado* 1998 Dutch/TB gelding by Glendale
    *Blazin' Magic* 2000 Welsh/TB gelding
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2000
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,212

    Default

    Wow. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I'm glad you're okay- but I'm a little confused. Was the accident because you were drinking, or just by you reaching down to get your chapstick?

    ~Erin B #1
    Visit my website!
    I think, therefore I'm single.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2002
    Posts
    2,351

    Default

    Drinking and driving is NOT OK. I am so upset that your friends would allow you to drive after drinking, let alone let you drink under age - don't they care about you? Don't *you* care about you?

    I can see you have learned a lesson from this, but it just blows me away that your peers and you think that it's OK to drink as long as you don't get caught.

    It's brave of you to post this as I am sure I am not the only one who feels very strongly about the selfishness of drunk driving, but I wouldn't want you to think that the majority of people are just going to say "thank god you weren't hurt" when really it's "thank god you didn't kill yourself and several other people."

    I too have tried to hold my tongue on this point, but keeping quiet is NOT going to reverse the mentality that so many kids have that it's OK to drink and drive.

    I just took my US driving test after driving for 15 years in the UK and it amazes me how people here drink and drive all the time. Like it's no big deal. Makes me afraid to drive here I have to say. Peer pressure in the UK prevents people from doing this type of stuff - don't they have that here?

    I hope this thread doesn't get locked because clearly young drivers need to rethink the drinking situation and they can learn a lot from this story.

    Sparkles, you don't need to apologize to us - apologize to yourself, and make a promise to yourself that you'll never make that mistake again.
    ............................................
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB
    ............................................



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    10,164

    Default

    You are very brave to tell your story here. Your honesty and openness should help you get through all this turmoil.

    That said, I disagree with you when you say 'how easy it is to have a horrible crash'. There were 3 serious lapses in judgment involved; two of those lapses -- (1)underage drinking and subsequent driving and (2) not wearing a seatbelt -- also involved breaking the law.

    You're very lucky you didn't hurt anyone else. If you had (and that possibility is so real), your future would be looking unimaginably grim right now. So grim, in fact, that it could hardly be called a future.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2000
    Location
    CA NA DA
    Posts
    5,601

    Default

    JER> she did have her seatbelt on, thankfully

    ~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    14,885

    Default

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ErinB:
    Wow. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I'm glad you're okay- but I'm a little confused. Was the accident because you were drinking, or just by you reaching down to get your chapstick?

    ~Erin B #1
    Visit my http://www.equestrianzone.com!
    I think, therefore I'm single. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    The problem with driving drunk is that your judgement about such things as whether or not it is safe or important to reach for your dropped chapstick is impaired.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2002
    Location
    Oakville Ontario Canada
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Thank goodness your oh k and also that you didnt hurt anyone else

    ~*~JeSs~*~
    ~*~JeSs~*~



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2000
    Location
    Full time in Delhi, NY!
    Posts
    6,398

    Default

    I had WAY TOO MUCH to drink at a private party about 5 miles from where I was living with a family for the summer.

    One person passed out and the other one started having an anxiety attack/nervous breakdown and begged me to go get the woman I was staying with. He couldn't call her because her husband would answer the phone (see the problem here?).

    I KNEW I wasn't sober. I did NOT want to drive. I also knew I REALLY didn't want to stay with this person who was freaking out big time. Driving home seemed a much brighter alternative. (Impaired Judgement No. 1) Going home at 2:00 am in a small NC town in summer reassured me that I would meet no one else on the road (Impaired judgement no. 2) After weaving and bobbing all over the road and seeing all those headlights on a two lane road, (I was seeing double) I promised God that if He got me home I would never, ever do it again. Well I made it, pulled right into the driveway, congratulating myself on parking and went in to wake this poor woman up. Completely forgeting that I'd blocked her in [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] (Impaired Judgement No. 3)

    Wake up the next morning and realized I'd blocked her in and the keys were on my nightstand. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] Wondered how she'd gotten out. Stepped outside and wondered no more. I'd forgotten to put the car in park, and it had run back down the driveway and turned on to the lawn. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

    I took the promise I made seriously and have never, ever driven after imbibing.

    Sparkles I'm very glad you're okay. I'm even gladder that your life lesson harmed no other living thing. BTW if you damaged the telephone pole, you (or your parents) WILL receive a bill for it. Around $1000 the last I heard.

    ~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

    "Life is merrier with a terrier!"



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ErinB:
    Wow. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I'm glad you're okay- but I'm a little confused. Was the accident because you were drinking, or just by you reaching down to get your chapstick?

    ~Erin B #1
    Visit my http://www.equestrianzone.com!
    I think, therefore I'm single. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I believe that If I had not bent down to get my chapstick, this never would have happened. Others may think different. This could have happened if I didn't drink as well.
    ~Steph

    *Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    *Desperado* 1998 Dutch/TB gelding by Glendale
    *Blazin' Magic* 2000 Welsh/TB gelding
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,613

    Default

    Clearly, you know that what you did was wrong, so I'm going to TRY not to be mean.

    You were VERY VERY VERY lucky. I've lost a number of loved ones to drunk driving and drunk drivers. It upsets me because this is something that is 100% preventable. If you absolutely can't find a DD - just sleep it off in your vehicle!!!

    Also, if you drop something while driving - forget about it. I don't care if its your great grandma's ten carrat engagement ring. It will still be on the floor when you have a chance to pull over and retreive it safely. My sister - sober at the time - just ran through a ditch/field/ditch and did major damage to her car retreiving her air freshner [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

    www.meandercreekstable.com



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May. 23, 2012, 03:41 AM
  2. A safety reminder - PLEASE READ!
    By tle in forum Eventing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May. 21, 2012, 11:07 PM
  3. A safey reminder -- Please Read!!
    By tle in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May. 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
  4. Lots of big BB news! Important, please read.
    By Erin in forum Off Course
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: Apr. 4, 2003, 01:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •