The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What kind of bit is this?

It's a snaffle and a hack with a connector

Adding on-is it common for a horse to wear a snaffle and a hackamore at the same time? I can see that the snaffle looks to be rubber/something soft, so would someone maybe just have a bit as a backup or because their horse responds better to both mouth and poll? Or does it just depend on the horse/rider/situation?

Sorry if I'm hijacking a bit >.<
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Interesting. I wonder if its because they horse doesn't respond well to leverage on the mouth? Therefore you have a soft snaffle, but then the hackamore to put some pressure on the nose if the horse gets strong. Because there are always hackabits (which I actually really like, but, can have a lot of action).

The snaffle looks like Aurigan or rubber to me, and it's connected via rein converters to a mechanical hackamore. The nose looks to be vet wrapped for a little more padding.

Kate- hackabits have a lot more leverage action in the horse's mouth. A lot of horses won't tolerate that amount of action in their mouth, so the snaffle/hackamore set up works better for them.

Electrikk- I wouldn't say it's necessarily "common" but the combination has certainly become more popular; I think in part because the late Hickstead wore the combination, and people thought, "huh. Maybe this is worth a shot." It's even started to make its way into eventer-land. Since the bit is connected by a rein converter, it is not a "back up" but part of the whole get up. Rider applies pressure on the reins, and horse feels a little in his mouth from the snaffle, and a bit (no pun intended) more on his nose/poll from the hackamore. Does that help a little?
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    Adding on-is it common for a horse to wear a snaffle and a hackamore at the same time?
    They're kind of the bit du jour in the jumper ring right now. Sort of like Mikmars a few years back.

It's a lot of bit - definitely not something to play around with.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Kate- hackabits have a lot more leverage action in the horse's mouth. A lot of horses won't tolerate that amount of action in their mouth, so the snaffle/hackamore set up works better for them.
    Yep, thats is what I figured. Its sort of a hackabit conversion, lol. I know that the hackabit I've used has loooong shanks. Not all horses would be cool with that.

I remember reading an interview with Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum about this combination (Shutterfly used it sometimes too) and she said she really liked how he went in the hackamore but added the snaffle for better steering (iirc.)