The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Default Breeding mares after foaling accidents?

Those of you who have mares who have been damaged during foaling- I need your thoughts and experiences- please.

The mare in question apparently had a foal put a foot through, and tore her rectum, during foaling. The tearing was supposedly fairly extensive, but the mare recovered, and has had no further issues. The Vet told the owner (who told me) that she did not think that the mare would be able to carry another foal.

I am waiting to speak to the Vet, and get further information- in the mean time, any of you who have had similar situations- please let me know your thoughts.

I am thinking that ET will be the way to go, but I'd like to better understand the situation.

TIA!!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

I did have a mare who's first foal tore thru the rectum, I had to push the foal back in and reposition him for delivery. They stitched up the tear at New Bolton Center a few weeks later, and I bred her the following year with no complications.

I can think of one case off the top of my head. A client mare whose foal put a foot through the vaginal wall and into the rectum, then must have pulled it back and presented normally, vaginally. The tear was discovered immediately after foaling. The tear had to be repaired twice, at a referral surgical facility (not uncommon to have to do multiple repairs on a serious tear). Mare was given that year off and was bred the following year. Did not take after multiple tries. Tried again the next year and she did get pregnant and had a healthy, normal foaling. That was last year and the client is trying to have her bred this year, but two tries have yielded nothing at this point. She is due for another preg check next week. This mare must have a Caslick, and even with a Caslick you can hear air sucking (primarily rectally, though) with every step. Owner is not interested in ET.
    I've found that it is really dependent upon the mare and the exact extent of the tear. Some mares go on to settle easily and have multiple healthy foals, and some mares never settle again. You really don't know until you try with these cases.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    I've found that it is really dependent upon the mare and the exact extent of the tear. Some mares go on to settle easily and have multiple healthy foals, and some mares never settle again. You really don't know until you try with these cases.
    I agree. I had a mare deliver through the rectum. She required reconstructive surgery. The following year she was bred successfully - actually had 3 more foals, dying with her last one at 10 months gestation, from colic. I do think the pain associated with that delivery and long aftercare affected her everafter. Her tendency to colic may have been part of that ...

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Well, this all sounds very hopeful. This mare's bloodlines are a treasure, and she is stunning, so we'll see!

Thanks very much!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/