The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Will start by saying that I am R and F's big fan. But we cannot forget that the venue for the Games is completely different from the indoor arena of the World Cup. I would love to see this pair go to London, but I do not think it is wrong for George to wish to see them in a venue more similar to the Olympic stadium and course type.
    He saw him go great at the trials in the big main arena at WEF and has seen him jump clean Nations Cup and CN Int'l rounds in the Int'l Ring on grass at Spruce. What more does he need to see? Other than McLain with Sapphire and Laura with Cedric, Rich and Flexible are probably the most proven, experienced partnership in the country on the long list.

I have to say, watching Rich and Flexible win this Rolex FEI World Cup Final was one of the most emotional and thrilling moments I've had. It was a truly great performance; I will never forget the entire Dutch crowd giving them a standing ovation.

Go check out my story and some great photos of the event on the Chronicle's website and check out the May 7 issue of the Chronicle in print. This is one story I'm itching to write!

By the way, the online coverage I linked to includes a clip of the FEI video coverage, and a great audio interview with Rich.

So excited for Rich and Flexible! What an amazing win! For once it's exciting being from Wilsonvile lol. I've seen them hacking at home quite a few times, couldn't of happened to a better pair!
    Good thing I ride better than I spell!

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Sorge View Post
    I have to say, watching Rich and Flexible win this Rolex FEI World Cup Final was one of the most emotional and thrilling moments I've had. It was a truly great performance; I will never forget the entire Dutch crowd giving them a standing ovation.

Go check out my story and some great photos of the event on the Chronicle's website and check out the May 7 issue of the Chronicle in print. This is one story I'm itching to write!

By the way, the online coverage I linked to includes a clip of the FEI video coverage, and a great audio interview with Rich.
    Molly: That link doesn't work for me. Says I'm not authorized to access that page ....

off topic: but how did Eric end up doing?

P.

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Love it - Us rider and an Irish Draught Sport Horse

THIS
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Does anyone know of any Flexible kids, or anyone who has bred/plans to breed a mare to him? His website (Flexible has his own, love it!) only shows one very sturdy-looking filly plus a link to inquire about breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy SM View Post
    He saw him go great at the trials in the big main arena at WEF and has seen him jump clean Nations Cup and CN Int'l rounds in the Int'l Ring on grass at Spruce. What more does he need to see? Other than McLain with Sapphire and Laura with Cedric, Rich and Flexible are probably the most proven, experienced partnership in the country on the long list.
    AGREED!!!! Rich and Flexible performed very well in the Olympic trials in addition to great wins in Spruce and the World Cup, etc. Why not allow Rich to determine how best to keep Flexible going before the Olympics rather than jumping him in a few weeks at Delmar? Maybe the process should be a little more "flexible"!

Thumbs up

Molly Sorge, I can so relate to your emotional and thrilling experience. Rich does that for me whoever he rides. He gives his horses 110 % and they give it back to him. He's been knocking on that World Cup door for at least 5 years with Flexible. I also gave him a standing ovation for their outstanding win. I can't wait to read your article and I love all your photos! Many thanks from his #1 east coast fan. ;-)

I trust George will make the best decision for the Olympic Team. Like Rich says, he takes one jump at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    ...Rich Fellers unusual way of riding this explosive horse are the winners of the FEI Rolex World Cup.

I think I remember somebody saying that there is a reason why Rich Fellers ride Flexible in this unusual position, maybe somebody can refresh my memory?
    I watched the video of his WC ride....what's the unusual position you're referring to ? He reminds me a bit of Hap Hansen in his style (who also trained with GM).

Anyway, just curious about what you're seeing so I can learn.

Thanks
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    what's the unusual position you're referring to ? Anyway, just curious about what you're seeing so I can learn.
    Maybe it's only unusual for a European eye, but his very forward seat is not seen on the top of the sport today.
    But he certainly do it right and Flexible enjoy it, so who am I to discuss it.
    Great pair.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

How dare this thread drop to the second page! It should be a sticky for at least a month. And while I am shamelessly bumping can I mention how fun it was to see Nino, Monte Bellini and Verdi at the top of their games. And how totally cool it was that Rich does NOT avail himself of the horrid ubiquitous "pinch" (Doda style) back boots that almost everyone else has been peer-pressured into wearing. Props for that to Spooner as well. What an honor to get a standing ovation from a thoroughly horse-educated crowd. Oh! And Regina Z makes me nostalgic. I can totally see her incestuous grandmother Ratina in her.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    How dare this thread drop to the second page! It should be a sticky for at least a month. And while I am shamelessly bumping can I mention how fun it was to see Nino, Monte Bellini and Verdi at the top of their games. And how totally cool it was that Rich does NOT avail himself of the horrid ubiquitous "pinch" (Doda style) back boots that almost everyone else has been peer-pressured into wearing. Props for that to Spooner as well. What an honor to get a standing ovation from a thoroughly horse-educated crowd. Oh! And Regina Z makes me nostalgic. I can totally see her incestuous grandmother Ratina in her.
    "Incestuous?" Really?

As for Nino, what an awesome horse! I am surprised nobody has mentioned how he managed to jump clear despite basically chipping to some very large oxers on Sunday.

Rich is a great rider/horseman- and also Wilsonville Oregon is not really out of the mainstream- Wild Turkey Farm is up the road from Rich as well as a couple of top hunter/jumper barns- it is also the area of a lovely show park called Hunter Creek-- Jumpers are alive and well in Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Does anyone know of any Flexible kids, or anyone who has bred/plans to breed a mare to him? His website (Flexible has his own, love it!) only shows one very sturdy-looking filly plus a link to inquire about breeding.
    I have a friend who is expecting a Flexible foal in June. I hear she's pretty dang excited.

Congratulations to Rich and his entourage. Super nice, professional, awesome people.

I am totally crushing on Flexible and the new 'silver fox', Rich Fellers!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!