The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've taken my horse a couple of times and a friend of mine took hers as well. I have a part-bred, friend had full RID. I did the first year they had it & at that time my horse was about 5 and not filled out yet, so probably looked too TB.To tell you the truth I had no idea what they were looking for. Then came the hunter hack - not to brag but my guy was pretty flawless - and judge/rider said he's the one they'd take home but gave us a 4th place.

next time we did better on the line and I can't remember placings in the u/s & Hack. Friend w/ RID won her in hand class but then when it came to u/s and the hack I was completely baffled. Sidesaddlerider says they like forward pace - true but I guess they also like the stop, prop jump instead of actually getting the distance and correct spot. Her horse was about the only one who actually jumped well, didn't quit or run out and somehow placed 4th or 5th (after winning the inhand). That same year in the partbred there was one horse that was a to die for mover - simply flawless would have won a hack class at any show - was left out of the ribbons!

So after that I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea what the judging criteria is and certainly not judged the same as US Hunter classes. I've seen class descriptions for hunter classes in UK and Ireland where some seem to be geared towards suitability (I think one description said something along the lines of suitability for "novice or nervous rider" )

Having said that it's definitely a fun class to do - I had no idea that breeding classes took so long to judge but it's usually over in time to cross street for Grand Prix. If you have riders/owners interested then do it!

I will also add that for those of you w/ Irish Horses -you might consider joining the Irish Draught Society of North America. they have performance award programs and offer up some fun prizes at the end of the year - you accumulate points in various disciplines - eventing, jumpers, Hunter, fox hunter dressage and have a versatility award. If your horse isn't registered then you can register thru the IDHSNA - I had to get my boy DNA tested which was not a big deal.

the website is irishdraught.com

I'll also see if I can find out more about the judging from a friend of mine who breeds them and I think helped w/ getting the classes at Upperville.

DO IT

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Yes, that was the one.
    Yay Ozzie! It's exciting to see him grow up into such a nice horse. I worked for her when he was a young silly stallion. I'm glad she's getting that kind of feedback on him!

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Then came the hunter hack - not to brag but my guy was pretty flawless - and judge/rider said he's the one they'd take home but gave us a 4th place.

next time we did better on the line and I can't remember placings in the u/s & Hack. Friend w/ RID won her in hand class but then when it came to u/s and the hack I was completely baffled. Sidesaddlerider says they like forward pace - true but I guess they also like the stop, prop jump instead of actually getting the distance and correct spot. Her horse was about the only one who actually jumped well, didn't quit or run out and somehow placed 4th or 5th (after winning the inhand). That same year in the partbred there was one horse that was a to die for mover - simply flawless would have won a hack class at any show - was left out of the ribbons!

So after that I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea what the judging criteria is and certainly not judged the same as US Hunter classes. I've seen class descriptions for hunter classes in UK and Ireland where some seem to be geared towards suitability (I think one description said something along the lines of suitability for "novice or nervous rider" )
    the website is irishdraught.com
    Who were the judges that came over from Ireland?

I compete a lot in Working and Weight Hunter classes here in Ireland and they seem hugely different to the American Hunters.

Traditional turnout is tweed jacket and subtle collar and tie with cream or canary breeches and black boots with garter straps, although you do see field boots too, but these are less traditional.

Horses traditionally should have 7 - 9 plaits in their manes, definitely not the tiny American braids and pulled and banged tails.

All horses need to first jump their rounds and each jump is scored out of 10. The horse should jump in a forward, flowing pace - definitely more forward than the videos I have seen of American Hunters.
    Then usually it is just the clear rounds who are called back for the show piece, where they all walk, trot, canter and gallop round the ring together, moving up the paces on the instructions of the steward.

Once this is done, the horses are called in in order of preference and the judges will ride each horse and then see them walk and trot up without saddle.

After that all scores from each section are added up and the winner and placings called out.

There are numerous videos on youtube of working hunter classes in both Ireland and the UK which should help to give a better idea.

I have an Irish guy (registered through IDHSNA). He is, as best I can tell from my budding knowledge, 3/4 TB, but certainly doesn't look it. And not a hunter mover at all. Anyone have any videos of the Upperville class?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoles View Post
    Who were the judges that came over from Ireland?

I compete a lot in Working and Weight Hunter classes here in Ireland and they seem hugely different to the American Hunters.

Traditional turnout is tweed jacket and subtle collar and tie with cream or canary breeches and black boots with garter straps, although you do see field boots too, but these are less traditional.

Horses traditionally should have 7 - 9 plaits in their manes, definitely not the tiny American braids and pulled and banged tails.

All horses need to first jump their rounds and each jump is scored out of 10. The horse should jump in a forward, flowing pace - definitely more forward than the videos I have seen of American Hunters.
    Then usually it is just the clear rounds who are called back for the show piece, where they all walk, trot, canter and gallop round the ring together, moving up the paces on the instructions of the steward.

Once this is done, the horses are called in in order of preference and the judges will ride each horse and then see them walk and trot up without saddle.

After that all scores from each section are added up and the winner and placings called out.

There are numerous videos on youtube of working hunter classes in both Ireland and the UK which should help to give a better idea.
    I dont' remember who the Irish judges were - been several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoles View Post
    the judges will ride each horse and then see them walk and trot up without saddle.
    The judges ride all the second-round horses?

:-) I was just going to suggest to SidesaddleRider that she explain "riding judge" - as that's a concept so foreign, many would have no idea!

Sounds like wonderful fun - wish I were closer!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpthemoon16 View Post
    Generally yes unless they have ridden them in an earlier class that day, but usually they ride them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpthemoon16 View Post
    When we did the class, yes the judge (or rider in judge's place) would ride each horse WTC both directions. it is an interesting class and am not sure why more breed classes don't do something similar from time to time. It helps even out the score a bit if you have a horse that's a stellar performer but lacks a bit in breed standard conformation. I still haven't a clue what they actually look for in the U/S-hunter hack class. As I said the horses that jumped the best were placed below those who chipped in or nearly had run-out/refusal.

for anyone going to the Grand Prix - head to the show early to watch prior to the GP

Thanks for all the great info! Sounds like this is going to be a lot of fun!!!