The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upperville regulars- Anyone familiar with the Irish/Part Bred classes?

....Particularly the "Irish Hunter" class?

Several of my clients with Irish horses are interested in riding in the class, but no one here has ever WATCHED it, so no one is sure what to expect. We're wondering if it will be closer to a show hunter class, or more in line with the British hunter type classes (which I guess one of the ladies says is how she has seen classes run at Irish breed shows).

Anyone have any experience, or at least have watched?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I am interested in this as well- I can't prove my guy is Irish so can't bring him to do it, but the timing works out such that I could make it to see the classes this year.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I am interested in this as well- I can't prove my guy is Irish so can't bring him to do it, but the timing works out such that I could make it to see the classes this year.
    Renn, that always bugged me! We used to get invited all the time to bring our various Irish horses (including Tip) to Irish shows, but then when we said that we didn't have any papers on them, it was like we were trying to enter goats in the shows. Our imported Irish horses were probably more Irish in every sense than the others!! I was always tempted to bring the paperwork from their importation.

I went last year to groom for the two year old Irish class, but did watch bits of the hunter class. I think there were only two horses in the class I watched. They obviously didn't go around like your typical American hunter, more like big heavy foxhunters (which I liked!) and I think they did individual hand gallops to a line of two fences or something like that, in addition to a normal flat class and an over fences class. I would encourage your clients to go- it looked like fun! And it seemed like less pressure than one of Upperville's regular hunter classes (maybe because there were only two horses...).

I watched it last year as I was thinking of entering my horse in it this year. (if I can get him up to speed in time -he's been off for a while)

It wasn't a typical hunter class. It was more like the heavy hunter classes you see in the UK. (and I wish we had here!!!)
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Thanks! I will pass the word along. We have a couple of nice ones, and we're so close to the show, it seems a shame to not partake, even if it is these non-mainstream classes

Myself and another woman are going to the back from the track hack, and I will also probably ride in the TB jumper division. I've been wanting to for years, and now finally have no excuses not to.

I was the riding judge for the pure and part-bred Irish horse classes last year. The judges are Irish, and come over for the classes each year. They are fascinating to talk to, and really love the breed, but have high standards. There was a part-bred Irish horse there last year that they really would like the owner to bring over for the big show held each year at Dublin, as they feel he is of such high quality he could win there.

There is an in-hand, under saddle, and hunter hack (u/s + 2 fences at 2'9"). It is run, and judged, as an real Irish/UK hunter class - so NOT an American show hunter class. Still W-T-C, but they ask for sitting trot, hand gallop, etc. For the jumping, they want to see you go in a real hunting pace.

As the riding judge, I was looking for training, adjustability, rideability, etc.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

This is very, very good info!

I will pass the info along and suggest the ladies start doing their research now on turn out, how to ride their horses, etc.

YB - I am there almost every year (I often do trophys). It is a lot of fun and a supportive cheering squad. Also common for refreshments to be on hand (liquid courage often present as well ). manes are normally braided, tails - some will some not. The hand gallop can be quite a site with a good number entered. I hope your clients will take the plunge

I think I've made this public - its only in-hand, but pics are from last year
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0000509717451/
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Horsetales, thanks!

Any tips on turn out? Should they dress like they were actually doing any other hunter class (hunter braids, rat catchers, etc), or should they dress more according the UK type classes?

I'm an eventer, and while I know may way around the hunter ring, this is way out of my expertise. And we have a great h/j/eq trainer in our midst, but she is scratching her head, too, about all this.

Any ideas for references for this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Horsetales, thanks!

Any tips on turn out? Should they dress like they were actually doing any other hunter class (hunter braids, rat catchers, etc), or should they dress more according the UK type classes?
    Some people had button braids and pulled/banged tails, and others had show hunter braided manes/tails. Tack was either traditional hunter attire, or the Irish/UK type saddles/bridles. Both were looked upon equally favorably.

Turnout was typical hunter attire (show coat/ratcatcher) for the most part. I think one person had a more traditional UK tweed jacket on -- however, as you know, it is usually HOT during Upperville week, unlike in Ireland, so tweeds aren't expected and lighter show coats de riguer.

From having stood next to the judges and heard them talking, I can guarantee you that as long as you look presentable and don't distract from your horse, they REALLY don't care about what you are wearing. Those gentleman are ALL about the Irish horse.

Default irish classes

ok so this has me interested now too..I have a nice ISH mare (with passport). She moves like a nice Irish horse, not a hunter...but thats ok right? She jumps awesome (knees to eyeballs) and will jump well at a gallop but changes tend to be...well irish lol not always clean but doesn't phase her one bit lol. Flat work is great since she was a dressage horse first. Will changes kill her?

Quote Originally Posted by levremontf View Post
    ok so this has me interested now too..I have a nice ISH mare (with passport). She moves like a nice Irish horse, not a hunter...but thats ok right? She jumps awesome (knees to eyeballs) and will jump well at a gallop but changes tend to be...well irish lol not always clean but doesn't phase her one bit lol. Flat work is great since she was a dressage horse first. Will changes kill her?
    Her movement and changes are not a hindrance. Bring her. You will have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Her movement and changes are not a hindrance. Bring her. You will have a blast.
    Agree - we really are a fun group

The tweed was worn by a native UKer
    Epona Farm

Join us on Facebook

I can tell you that what they DON' T seem to look for is an Irish Draught who looks and goes like a typical American show hunter. Tony Workman had a fabulous partbred Irish Draught horse in his barn a couple of years ago who did extremely well in the Pre- Greens, showed up on Irish day, jumped 8 beautiful jumps, hacked beautifully, and got very low or no ribbons. So while I can' t tell you with any real knowledge what they DO look for, I can tell you what NOT to look like!! Have fun!!

I worked for an Irish breeder for a couple of years and LOVED the Irish classes at Upperville. I come from a hunter/eq background, and sitting there under the Oaks and watching the Irish guys go around was so refreshing. It's hard to explain. Your ladies would have a guaranteed fabulous time at that show if they took their horses. The ID/ISH community is pretty tight, and everyone cheered for each other when I was at Upperville. They just have to show up looking neat, and let their horses be judged. They'll have a ball (I'm jealous!!).

SidesaddleRider - was that the Kilkelly horse last year by chance?

Default :)

I will bring her then (well we would be there anyways doing the 1.20m classes but I think this might be a fun change). She is very "Irish" going but a dream to ride and the most fun horse I have had since my awesome Irish "Hector" years ago. I am looking forwards to meeting all of you and will bring my "tweed" just incase it happens to not be roasting as usual (or nice rainy weather .

Quote Originally Posted by levremontf View Post
    I will bring her then (well we would be there anyways doing the 1.20m classes but I think this might be a fun change). She is very "Irish" going but a dream to ride and the most fun horse I have had since my awesome Irish "Hector" years ago. I am looking forwards to meeting all of you and will bring my "tweed" just incase it happens to not be roasting as usual (or nice rainy weather .
    Great I hope the weather allows you to show off your tweed Looking forward to cheering you on

I hope YB clients join in the fun
    Epona Farm

Join us on Facebook

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Well damn, now I'm really bummed they won't let my guy in. It may be the only hack class where he is not dead last. He is pleasant and sensible and a dream to ride, and loves to jump... but he is not a show hunter in any sense of the term.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Outfoxed View Post
    SidesaddleRider - was that the Kilkelly horse last year by chance?
    Yes, that was the one.