The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AQHA Shows Offering Jumping Classes

I'm new to the QH world and I'm looking for QH shows that offer jumping classes that fill. I'm in Mass and I know there are some shows that offer hunter hack but it rarely fills. Does anyone know of any shows? I'm willing to travel so distance isnt a big deal as long as the jumping classes will fill.

Most local quarter horse shows won't have jumping classes that fill (that's been my experience). QH showing never took off for me so I never really got the chance to see what the jumping classes are like at bigger shows (out of state). I've really only seen filled jumping classes with actual competition at regional or national levels.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Quote Originally Posted by d2dfarm View Post
    I'm new to the QH world and I'm looking for QH shows that offer jumping classes that fill. I'm in Mass and I know there are some shows that offer hunter hack but it rarely fills. Does anyone know of any shows? I'm willing to travel so distance isnt a big deal as long as the jumping classes will fill.
    Are you talking just over fences in general (working hunter, hack, eq) or actual Jumping (as in jumpers)?

The Jumping is a hard class to fill... most of the big circuits (Gold/Gulf Coast, Redbud) will have point classes. Frankfort, KY is another that will draw some, too.

If you're talking hunters, Syracuse, NY is probably the closest to you that has good sized classes over fences.

Do you know any AQHA people? Networking is your friend if you are trying to find decent numbers.

I'm gonna be showing hunters. I'm teaching my girl to jump and I know jumpers is to big for her right now at least. She's been going good but just starting her over fences around a month ago and she's been reserve champion in the baby greens at a hunter show.

The Red Bud in OK City,
    Frankfort KY shows at lakeside arena
    The Big A in Conyurs GA (I think)

The Red Bud just added a go-round of the hunter classic. Each go-round has its own purse (1,000 added I think) and if you show at two you are qualified for the finals at the QH World Show in November. (I think it is two)--look up Huntfield Derby Series on facebook.

Chuckles, you just beat me to it...
    The organizers of this series have proven they can make the day fun for all, with draw party buffets, lush hunter courses and great judges. I believe the fences are 3' with 3'3" options. Right, Sparky??
    Huntfield AQHA derby series

NEW UPDATE NEW DERBY ADDED TO THE SCHEDULE!!! Due to popular demand we are proud to announce there will be a Huntfield AQHA derby at the Redbud Spectacular this June in Oklahoma City. The first round will be held in barn 6 on the middle show day. The handy round will be in the Performance Ring the last day of showing the hunters. Thank you to Redbud for sponsoring this event and we are looking forward to another Robert Barton course.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

All of the hunter fence classes and Eq over fences filled this past weekend in Hamburg, NY at the spring fling. No jumpers though. Cobleskill is usually pretty good for hunters and Eq too.

Working a Showmanship pattern somewhere in the great Northeast...

The Syracuse and Hamburg shows should have good numbers for working hunter, eq over fences and hunter hack. Cobleskill can be hit or miss depending on the weekend, but if you contact show management the week before they should have a good idea based on who has purchased stalls so that you know before you make the trip.
    The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com

Check out this thread: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...rum%2Fmessages

Some people will even post and ask who is attending a particular show to see if the class will fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus614 View Post
    Check out this thread: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...rum%2Fmessages

Some people will even post and ask who is attending a particular show to see if the class will fill.
    To all: Links to that site will not send you to the correct thread. You have to join first (free, and no spam will result), and that thread is under 'Shows and Such' , current, but may disappear down the list fast. Not as user friendly a site as COTH.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

The Big A, as others mentioned, always has a good turnout, but that's a long drive.

Don't forget about Congress also, which is in Ohio - the classes always fill there, and it's a whole lot closer.

For the smaller shows, it's a crapshoot, so unless you can bring a few pals to jump one jump and help fill the class, it can be challenging. Some of the show organizers are good about providing entry numbers in advance, so you might contact them - Mark Harrell does, but I don't know if he does shows out east.

I'm lucky that I live in an area with lots of shows with good Hunter numbers, but they are winding down and are a long drive for you. But just for a reference, in Oklahoma they had pretty good numbers this year at both the Prarie Classic and Spring Show, and the Redbud is always big. Ardmore is hit or miss, but traditionally for March and April has decent numbers. In Texas, we just finished up in Waco and had 9 in the Am Working Hunter, I think the Select was 1pt, Youth was either 1/2 to 1 pt, plus about a 1pt open class. Pretty long drive for you, though.

Syracuse, NY has good numbers o/f. Also the shows in Hamburg, NY.