The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Shads and Derbys

Ok , bear with me . I'm trying to remember . Shadbellys were worn for Evening classes (after 7) right ? Then it trickled to Stake classes ? I remember showing then switching coats for a money class . Now I may be totally wrong on this part . For some reason I remember wearing White breeches with my Shadbelly but also reg Color .

Was watching a Derby yesterday I think it was a $5000 . Some had Shads some regular . One girl had Shad and white breeches . Some horses were braided mane and tail. Others just the mane one was unbraided . All mentioned pinned pretty well . This was at an AA show .

Again please bear with me stepping back in to the ring after a 12 haitus .

If you have a Shadbelly a Derby would be the place to wear it for sure. Today many wear them in any type of classic and for stakes at indoors and possibly big shows (I vaguely think Devon) Technically all women should wear them because Derby's ask for formal attire, many people do not have one and normal (dark) coats don't seem to be penalized. Shadbellys are generally worn with normal tan breeches, if you saw someone in whites it was likely because she rode in a jumper classic (where whites are required) that day and this is acceptable. All horses should be braided all around especially at a AA show. The one that was unbraided should not have pinned at all in my opinion but it is at the discretion of the judge. I hope that was helpful

The class attire is usually available where you find the class specs...typically USHJA.org and usef.org. For example, the specs for the National Hunter Derby (not the International) are here:

http://www.ushja.org/programs/nhd/do...ifications.pdf

And according to usef.org:

HU127 Attire.
    1. Formal Attire. Riders are required to wear scarlet or dark coats; white shirts with white stock;
    white, buff or canary breeches and protective headgear. See GR801.2.

The above poster is not correct when they say technically all women should wear shads in derbies. Dark coats are completely permissable - though not as fashionable.

I'm really surprised that someone would show in a $5,000 derby at an AA show and not braid their horse's mane. What show was that?

At the shows I go to (mostly the midwest), you typically see shads for derbies and second round classics. Most people wear tan breeches, but you occasionally see white.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Technically all women should wear them because Derby's ask for formal attire, many people do not have one and normal (dark) coats don't seem to be penalized.
    Not true. A dark coat is considered acceptable formal attire with a white shirt, the shad is simply a step fancier - and is most certainly not a requirement.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I concur with those who said the shadbelly is optional as formal attire. A dark coat is equally correct.

But if you wear just a dark coat, aren't you still supposed to wear a stock tie for formal dress?
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    But if you wear just a dark coat, aren't you still supposed to wear a stock tie for formal dress?

Yes.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles