The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

This is a great thread but I think that my absolute favorite is Inlaws that should be outlawed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] HAHA found it!! See you guys! I am going bumping now!!!

**Courtney**
    Jack ~On the Rocks~ PLEASE [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Momo ~Just My Luck~

A woman only needs two animals in her life.. the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it!

[This message was edited by Court@HJ-OH on Apr. 10, 2002 at 08:03 PM.]

Late one night my brother hit a Coyote and didn't tell anyone. The next morning my mom and I saw it, I jokingly said "oh I bet it was John (my brother) who hit it" My mom said "oh I bet it was our horrible neighber he is always speeding. Well when we got home i asked my brother if he had seen it, and he said "yeah I saw it, I hit it!"

The a few days ago in the middle of the day. A baby deer goes running through our yard and out to the street. My two dogs (very old Golden and Brittney) go tearing after it. The deer gets attacked by my dogs are few times, but amazingly he escapes unharmed!!

Ther emust be something wierd going on the last couple weeks, wild animals have been out in the middle of the day. Two days in a row I have seen coyotes right next to the ring at my barn.

~Christina~
    "I don't patronize bunny rabbits!" -Heathers
    *Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

Oh, I know this thread is old and for all I know I said the same thing LAST year when I read this thread (haven't checked), but imagine what people were thinking as you drove past with a bunny on your headlight! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

~Erin B #1
    "Winny and I lived in a house that ran on static electricity... If you wanted to run the blender, you had to rub balloons on your head. If you wanted to cook, you had to pull off a sweater real quick."

Actually, ErinB, someone did pass me. Now I'm slow, and my car is crappy, but there was NO reason for that passenger to look back at me and burst out laughing! I was very offended until I found Bugs peeled across the grill.

I kid you not.

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

I did the same thing, only it was a bird. It went head first into my grille and was stuck there hanging and flopping about on the front of my car by its neck. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I couldn't touch it either, and I'm normally not a squeamish person. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

OTOH, back in 1997, I was engaged in a 3 month battle with DMV over my car. My father had passed away in 1995, and I notified DMV accordingly.

In 1997, I received my registration renewal for my plates, wrote the cheque and sent it in. Several weeks go by, I realise my tags are now dead, and still no plates. I call DMV and they say, "OH we're running slow. they'll be coming." Ok...so I wait another few weeks and call again. DMV has no clue what is up and suggests just dropping by one of the offices and renewing in person. So, I do. I stand in line for a bloody HOUR, only to be told that, "You can't renew your registration; you've a deceased party on your registration."
    Well, DUH! I notified you of that TWO YEARS AGO. You've just NOW figured that out??? So I ask, "
    Since my car was not re-registerable, a) why did you sent me a registration renewal form, and b) why didn't somebody notify me instead of sending my cheque off into the ether?" They said it wasn't their fault and that I needed to bring in a death certificate and my mother to sign for my deceased father.

At this point I couldn't make it back before DMV closed, so I had to wait until my next weekday off. So, I had to go to my mom's, get her and another copy of the death certificate (even though DMV said they knew Dad was dead, hence refusing to re-new the tags they still wanted proof. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and trundle back to DMV for more fun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I go back to DMV, wait another hour, and submit my paperwork. I had personalised tags on my car, that I wanted to keep. DMV then tells me they cannot issue the tags to me because they are "already taken." No SH*T Sherlock! They are sitting on my car in my mother's driveway! They're MY tags! It took me 5 more days to convince DMV to give me my tags.

So, the car is finally registered and legal in my name. I drive over to my mom's and my husband drives my car home, while I'm driving Mom's. The next day, because Hubby wasn't on Mom's insurance, I was still driving Mom's car, so hubby took mine again (sporty little car with fast engine vs Pick up truck...no brainer there on which he'd prefer to drive for a day.) On the way home, Hubby sees a deer and swerves to miss it. In the process he clips the ditch and rolls my car three times.

After all that time and hassle with DMV (I spent over 7 HOURS in that stupid place) and not being able to drive my car for over 3 months, when I finally get it back, I never even got to drive it before my husband totals it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

~*~Come on, try a little, nothing is forever. There's got to be somewhere better than In The Middle...~*~

[This message was edited by creseida on Apr. 11, 2002 at 12:54 AM.]

For maximum number of little lives snuffed out in the least time, nothing beats driving in the mountains of Utah when a swarm of Mormon Crickets decides to cross the road (and no, I don't know why the Cricket crosses the road and I don't want to know!). Mormon crickets are these big red grass-hopper looking things the size of Florida cockroaches so they make a really disgusting crunch when you smash one.A swarm can go for miles, there is no way to get around it, and the steady crunching as the tires squash hundreds of crickets is, well, gross. Although not as gross as what the tires look like after a few miles of this, with a thick red coating of cricket parts...

Besides the crickets I've been pretty lucky; the worst animal encounter I ever had was when (on the way to a riding lesson in Great Falls, Va so it is horse-related) a young deer ran full speed into the side of my car. While I was stopped at a red light. Are deer stupider these days than they used to be or what? --s.
    Under carefully controlled conditions of breeding, training, and care, a horse will do whatever it damn well pleases.

This was about 6 years ago in Florida, just a few months after I bought Mocha. The barn was fairly large, about 40 horses, and most of them got turned out at night in a large field at the back of the barn. One night something happened that spooked them and they all broke out of the field and ran out on the road where, unfortunately, a mare was hit by a truck, another two were sent flying through a restaurant window, and pretty much every one had one scratch, bruise, something. The mare that got hit died instantly but the crash was so brutal that her head and neck were disfigured beyond recognition. I have not to this day been more scared then when the phone rang at 4 am and it was a working student telling me to come down and see if I could determine if the dead horse was mine. I was hysterical when we got there, and that soon turned to a mixture of relief and horror when I saw it wasn't my baby. The mare that died was a sales prospect that belonged to our trainer, the two horses that went through the restaurant suffered minor injuries, one of those two happened to be pregnant and went into slightly early labor but she and the foal were fine. We ran around rounding up the horses and when I saw Mocha I just stood there sobbing and hugging her for what seemed like an eternity. Someone else came and helped me lead her back to the barn, since I couldn't walk. Heck, I could barely breathe. It was a horrible day, but at least we were lucky to lose only one horse in what could have been a major tragedy.
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

Horse related but no horse hurt in the making of this accident...

This January, I'm riding down a dirt road. Beautiful sunny day, in the upper 70s (I'm in Tucson). I'm on my way to a friend's house, and there are some quail (5-6) in the road pecking at the dirt.

Not even thinking about it... (These are birds, right? They can get out of the way!) ...we walk towards the group of them (they are on my side) and most of them walk/shuffle/fly away. One particularly slow (or stupid, I don't know) didn't move very fast and Kalinka ended up stepping on his tail! What a squawk that bird made! Kalinka just looked down, snorted, and I swear I hear her think, "Stupid bird!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I was laughing so hard I almost fell off...
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

--Therese

Smile! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] It makes people wonder what you're thinking!
    - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

I had to drive to an old boss's house so that he could peel a bat off the grill of my old car. There was no way I was touching it! EEEWWWWW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Has it really been a year? How time flies when you're having fun.

A friend of mine who works for the local fire department told me this one the other day. A guy on the exit ramp of the highway hits a wild boar. Since wild boars are a protected species here, he was facing a whopping big fine for whacking and killing the wild porker. Thus, he quickly loaded the full grown wild boar(i.e. the size of a large hog) into his car where he figured he would take the boar a dispose of it in a place more discrete than the side of a highway off ramp.

Up to now, it all sounds logical and normal. Slight law breaking by avoiding his fine, but whatever. The only problem was that the boar wasn't dead! We're talking about an animal that puts the tazmanian devil to shame. Big big teeth and really pissed off...more pissed off then normal because he found himself in a car. The boar wakes up while the guy is driving, kills the guy, and destroys the car, and escapes into the woods.

Now that is a roadkill story, where the everyone but the animal would have been better off if the animal had just died!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Medievalist
    ---WHX---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Medievalist:
    The boar wakes up while the guy is driving, kills the guy, and destroys the car, and escapes into the woods. Medievalist<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this true?!? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I have a sad story - one time at my barn, this woman was riding in the indoor and there were some pigeons chilling around on the ground and in the rafters (they are regulars around there). The horses don't care about them and they generally stay out of the horses' way. Unfortunately, one day this woman was riding, and a pigeon took off suddenly right under her horse! Poor thing broke its neck and died [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

*EMMA*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Unfortunately, one day this woman was riding, and a pigeon took off suddenly right under her horse! Poor thing broke its neck and died <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The pigeon or the horse?

~Erin B #1
    "Winny and I lived in a house that ran on static electricity... If you wanted to run the blender, you had to rub balloons on your head. If you wanted to cook, you had to pull off a sweater real quick."

It flew right into the horse's chest. The horse spooked a little, but no other harm done.

*EMMA*

ewwwwwwwwwwwww, you guys are grooooooooosss..lol

there are enough grotesque roadkill stories here to last me for years!! STOP THE INSANITY!!

I just recently bought a dog. I had great fun naming him "Stay". I sit on my couch and call out "Come here, Stay....Come here Stay!" I laughed when he got confused, so now he just ignores me.
    Nothing worth having comes easily.

I have hit a few animals in my time, cried about all of them as well. The first was a dog that leapt out in front of my ex-boyfriends truck when I was driving it, I tried to miss him but the rear tire got him. The second was a deer around 3 years ago now. I was on the way out to the barn (I worked there at the time) and these 4 deer crossed the road in front of me, I tried to stop but slid on the ice. The first 2 deer got across safely but I did hit the 3rd one, I don't know where the 4th one went but I didn't even know I had killed the deer until one of the ladies came into the barn and said there was a dead deer up the road and I knew then. But on a more positive not, I didn't get killed an my truck got away with a little crack in the grill, a broken bug deflector and one of the adjuster screws for the headlight on the passenger side broke off. But I did hurt my shoulder as I had a death grip on the steering wheel. The last one was also on the way to the barn, a bird committed suicide the flying into the little space just above the bumper but before the grill. I didn't even know it was there until a guy at work pointed the lifeless little body out to me.

You know, I just finished reading every post on this message and my boss came into my office, I have never tried so hard to stop laughing in my whole life. All these visuals keep going through my mind.

[This message was edited by PaulaM on Apr. 11, 2002 at 05:12 PM.]

I was riding my Arab around in the pasture one evening. The grass was tall in some places, but we were having fun, tromping through the tall places. At one bunch, however, Tod froze and swung his hind end around.

A shrill little squeal came from the grass, and Chickenbutt took off. Finally, I got him settled, and checked out--he had stepped on a baby cottontail, severing its front leg. I had a heck of a time getting him to let me back on after I stuffed the bunny into my shirt pocket. I finally got on. We did "corkscrews" all the way to the house!

I will not disclose the fate of the bunny. On the other hand, Tod's new owner mentioned to me that he had thrown a hissie fit on the trail when a rabbit hopped in front of him...hmmm, I said. Imagine that...

of all the things to hit with my blazer, back in the day

I was driving to get fitted for my wedding dress, and my two bridesmaids were with me...a 600 pound steer was standing on the shoulder of the road. I slowed down (but not much, maybe 5-10 mph) and honked. The stupid thing ran right into the center of the road--and directly at me! I swerved, the bridesmaids screamed, and the steer pivoted to run back into the ditch. I just barely hit him--his butt cracked one of my turn signal covers, broke a bolt in my bumper, and knocked my side mirror awry. Whew!

Of course, mice aren't humans, but we are very excited by the results.

I apologize for my typos. It's hard to type with one hand! Thanks for your patience

[This message was edited by stasha on Jun. 26, 2002 at 07:20 PM.]
    ~This is *way* more fun than doing something productive~

The first spring I had my new horse was a wet one and it was hard to get outside to go for a trail ride. By the time I was able to get him over to my neighbor's field the grass was more than knee deep.

Well, we are just casually walking along when all of a sudden I see something tan out of the corner of my eye.

My horse had stepped over a fawn lying in the grass (their mommies tell them to stay put and they DO stay put). He had gotten his front feet over the fawn and the fawn decided it was definitely time to SPLIT the scene. Fawn jumped up right underneath my horses belly and scooted off. Well, I'm not sure if the horse jumped straight up or if I 'pulled' him up when I nearly jumped out of my skin, but straight up about a foot or so we went.

Praise Allah that when he came down, he just meandered off as tho nothing had happened.

msj

You know you're a horse person when...you can find your boots by smell.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Deep space - corner of no and where (aka Texas)

Let's see - all my roadkill stories are from Texas...not surprising, I guess. LOL
    Once on my way to work I startled a flock of buzzards feeding on a carcass - they all exploded out of the grass, and one of them was stupid enough to fly right in front of me. I wasn't going very fast, but it was fast enough for that bird to CRASH into the windshield, leaving a spiderweb two feet across! The bird spiraled off into the bushes and I never saw it again. I sure as heck wasn't stopping to help a BUZZARD!
    Another time it was late at night and a possum ran in front of me. I HATE possums - they're nasty disease ridden creatures and I decided not to swerve. Only, at the last second, I chickened out! Unfortunately, it was too late - I went bump bump...end of possum. It may have been nasty but I still felt awful! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    There was also the cardinal, as I was driving home one day...wide open road - no cars around...I was going the speed limit (70 mph) and this flash of red comes swooping in front of me. I hit the brakes but didn't swerve, but didn't see it reappear. Several hours later, I got home, took stuff out of the car and was going back for another load and saw a poor pathetic little bundle of feathers in my grill. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Talk about feeling guilty!

My sister has a story too - she was driving her big Suburban home one day, when a deer dashed out of the woods, in front of her vehicle. She hit the brakes, came to a full stop, as did the deer, which promptly sauntered off the road ahead of her. She was accelerating, thinking the danger was past, when the deer CHANGED its mind, whipped around and ran smack into the SIDE of her vehicle, breaking its neck and killing itself instantly! Who says the dingbats don't have a deathwish? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    They had venison for supper. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"Because he dodges bullets, Avi!!"

Book: If you take advantage of her, you\'re going to burn in a very special level of Hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater. Firefly

I must admit I have laughed harder in the last 20 minutes than I have in awhile. It is amazing how time can change perspective.

Monday my friends horse stepped on a turkey sleeping in the grass, the horse did 180 and she came off. She was wearing her helmet and is okay.

On page 3 a/o asked if anyone has driven in the Upper Pininsula of Michigan. I am originally from the western end and moved back for a couple of years as a result I have an uncanny ability to spot critters on the edges of the roads, fields etc., anyway, my dad was going to school at MTU and coming home weekends. One weekend he had car trouble so my mom went to get him. By the time she got there the car was fixed and they came home together seperatly. On the way home my mom hits a deer with her car, 20 minutes later a deer runs out in front of my dad and he hits it with his car. For 3 or 4 years we had been back and 3 of us driving at all hours hadn't hit a deer and then wham 2 deer with 2 cars 20 minutes apart. The story made our small town paper.

A/O and Goodyfourshoes are right about all the eyes peering at you, you really have to keep yours open.

Make sure you roll up your windows every time you approach one on the road, because, as someone pointed out before, their takeoff time is very slow and you may end up with your own version of the wild turkey in the front seat story.

Won't relay the details of the actual event as it brings up very bad memories (ever see one of those suckers up close- I mean face to face??)

Oh, the horror.... the horror.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"It is good to be fine.\"