The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I had a deer get back at drivers for all of its dead friends. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I was driving very slowly on a road near my house where there are always tons of deer. This one guy came out of nowhere and ran...get this...not in front of me, but into the SIDE of my car! I was so freaked out, crying, etc. Until I realized that the deer just dented my car, laughed at me, and jumped nimbly (and unhurt!) away!! Weird...

As to frogs/toads, we have some in our yard. They like to play in the driveway, so of course I ended up squashing one while parking once. I have done everything, but I still have frog gut stains welcoming my friends... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

This thread is awful..ly funny.

Black humour is our way of dealing with the guilt/sorrow.

I once was driving on the highway behind a guy who ran OVER a seagull (nasty creatures) If you've ever seen a feather pillow explode, you'll have some idea of what happened when the seagull bounced off the bottom of his car.

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

A friend sent us a video clip of pro baseball pitcher Randy Johnson hitting a seagull recently with a 95 mph pitch! (He wasn't intending to do it, the bird just happened to fly in front of the batter at the exact wrong time).

Well, it also looked exactly like a down pillow exploding!!! Pretty amazing to see.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

"Of course, that's only my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

just reminded me of when I lived on the eastern shore of md.I was driving back from judging I think on the western shore it was like 2 am and I was in Gawds country fog etc outta no where a deer canters into my car glances off .I am shaking heart throbbing the whole bit . Pull off the road get out look at my car , nothing look around a bit no deer. I literally had to pull in ot the nearest parking lot in a tiny town and sit there for 30 minutes shaking.
    Brilyntrip

Okay, please keep in mind while reading this that I've had my drivers license since Oct. 14, 2000. Anywho, apparently animals see my Explorer as a way to quickly end their sad little lives.

First incident was driving home from the Secretary of the State's office ON my birthday...I kill a little bird. Now, I heard the little *thump* sound it made...I thought that that was bad enough....but NOOO. I get out of my car when I get to my friend's house and its head is stuck in the grill of my car, neck well...not bending in a good looking way, and feet twitching. This sends me to instant tears and I run into my friends house and make him go remove the...remains.

Then, the next day, I'm driving my friend home at night and I see a possum crossing the road. Normally I wouldn't feel bad about hitting any old possum, but this was a baby lookin one and I would feel bad for it. So, Im going like 20 miles an hour and this thing seriously makes a mad dash for my front left tire. Knowing what was eventually going to happen, my friend and I start screaming (it was my girliest moment ever) and we pick our feet up. Why I do not know, maybe we wouldn't feel the bumps?? lol...so anywho, I turn around to see if maybe it survived. The poor thing was smashed from the middle of its back so its tail and pulling itself with its front legs the rest of the way across the road... I went my other friends house (yes, the one that pulled the bird outta my car) and had him go finish it off. I couldn't bring myself to do it. You should've seen the look it gave me!

Since then I've hit 4 more possums...yes, that's 5 possums in 6 months folks. I've also killed one or two squirrels. I'm still not desensitized.

OH! And tonight on my way home from work, I almost hit a deer. It was running out of the woods and in the process of jumping over the ditch when I saw it. I slammed on my brakes and swerved....my trusty car went sideways as the deer stopped, looked at me, and trotted back into the woods. I just sat there for a minute and continued on my way.

Maybe I should look into public transportation??

~*~Erin B~*~

[This message was edited by JumperEq on Apr. 11, 2001 at 11:58 PM.]
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)

Friend's daughter gets her license, BEGS Mom to let her drive the new car to her friend's house for a homework session. Mom says NO but daughter pleads, cajoles, etc and eventually goes skipping out to the new Caddy. Driving down a country road going a *little* too fast WHUMP

a BLACK BEAR rolls up the hood, smashes thru the windshield and lands in passenger seat! Girl completely PANICS AND DRIVES 3 MILES INTO TOWN with the bear IN THE CAR and literally INTO the sheriffs office through the glass doors!!!! Cops come running; fearing an explosion they're yelling "KID GET OUT OF THE CAR!!!!!" She screams back, "NO WAY, this is my mother's new car! You get the BEAR out of the car!!!"

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I saw the aftermath of a horse/Corvette accident one night on the way home from the barn. Happened at a stoplight and I'm not sure who had the right of way. The horse was dead in the road and the Corvette was definitely close to death.

This is an unfortunate thing about the areas outside of Houston - people keep these "house horses" and they keep getting out of the yard and onto the roads. I've stopped twice to catch loose horses grazing on the side of the highway (I always have spare lead ropes, halters and horse cookies in the back of the Suburban). And unlike with dogs the darn horses never have name tags or rabies tags to tell you who to call to come get them. And you can't load them in the car and drive around with them. (I did that with a golden retriever once- found her on a busy highway and spent the next 16 hours in the car with her, calling various vets and rescues and hoping she'd react to some neighborhood with a little recognition.) So people, if you are going to let your horse roam free, make sure it is wearing identification tags....

I was coming home late one night in a thunderstorm and came around the last curve about a half mile from home and caught what I thought was a baby possum in the headlights. I swerved to miss it (DO NOT EVER DO THIS!) and continued for about 100 feet and slammed on brakes because by this time I had decided it was a mighty funny looking possum. I hiked back in the driving rain to see what it was and found a half-drowned Siamese kitten with burned pads. We never found out how that kitten got in the road in the middle of nowhere but the Bud cat still rules my mother's house today. (I couldn't keep it myself because the JR's would have eaten it.)

BTW, if you want to rescue a snapping turtle from the road, pick it up by the tail. I do this a lot and apparently am not the only one in my village to do so, because some woman flagged me down one day on the main road into town to help her get this turtle out of the middle of the road.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Of course, since my bunny incident two days ago, I have been subjected to many "well, once I hit..." stories and this so far is the best one.

I work for a trucking company, and a couple of years ago, one of our trucks hit a wild turkey. Except the turkey didn't die, it went through the windshield. And lived. And proceeded to attempt to peck the driver to death. Imagine it, a truck driver pulling 80,000 pounds of tractor-trailer, trying to beat off a wild turkey in the front seat. Amazing no one died - including the turkey.

Funny thing tho' - last night my only sister called and told me she was pregnant - I'm going to be an aunt for the first time! I was perplexed when she said "well, you should have KNOWN!!" Why?...I enquire....

"Well, the rabbit died!!!!"

for the laugh Worthy. Does your sister play on this board? If not, she should.

The rabbit died..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Heard a story from a customer who has a lodge in Alaska. A "neighbor" brought up 5 horses and figured he'd let them run free and forage for themselves (I guess they do this in Texas?)

The horses took off after being unloaded from the barge. Three went upriver way and were finished off by bears. The other two headed downriver and somehow survived one winter, but the guy never was able to get them back!
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

Wow, I'm amazed at the wildlife that roams the highways of America! I'm trying to imagine all these scenarios: bears in the front seat, mushed bunnies, vicious turtles, suicidal deer, etc.

The only thing we have to veer for is the occasional disoriented homeless person.

Merry, just like Moesha! Isn't he the one that's forever swerving around random naked people in the road? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyone drive in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? The western side is without question group animal suicide land. Like lemmings near a cliff! You literally zig-zag down the road, swerving around all the little pairs of eyes jumping toward you... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I ran into a wall once without even swerving around any little critters. My bad. My mom was in the car and oh so pleased... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Edit
    Last edited by Goodyfourshoes!; May. 19, 2007 at 12:13 PM.

Worthy, I have managed to avoid the critters, too...but you're right about the carcasses. It's so sad. We counted way into the teens one time ON ONE ROAD!!!!! The poor deer...

It's nice that it's so wild, though. We used to drive from NY through Canada and across the UP...some relatives have a beautiful cottage on an almost private lake. It's SO pretty and quiet...very relaxing (except when you're driving around at night!)

Thing about where I live that perplexes me the most... you can sit in a tree stand for 12 hours and not hit a single deer... then hop in your car and take out ten of 'em! The deer in Hunterdon county want to die.

My favorite example of this... I'm sitting in study hall and I hear from behind me, "Lindsay... I can see you..." I turn around and one of my friends who is a senior is holding his mirror. He has his back to my table and is watching me with it. Curious about what happened, he said that he was driving to his house the night before and he sees a deer. He has no choice but to keep driving and the thing bounds down the hill... He didn't hit it, it ran into the car. You can't hit a deer when it runs into the SIDE of the car!!! The deer took of the mirror and demolished the driver side door... My best friend's mom had the same thing happen where the deer ran down and into the side of the car... that happened twice to her in a month.

Who would have thought Roadkill would be such a popular topic?

Anyone got any good recipes? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm just happy to know that the people on this BB can laugh about road kill but still have some sympathy. I rode the school bus with the most horrible group of guys in the 9th grade. I mean HORRIBLE. One day the bus driver hit this girl's cat when she was pulling up to the bus stop. The cat is smashed, the girl runs crying into her house. We go on to school. The next day, and every day after that (this happened in October, mind you) every time the girl got onto the bus, all the guys would go "thump, thump--MEOW!" They also regularly snuck into her neighborhood and drew cat shaped chalk outlines on the street in front of her house.

Only one of those guys has grown into an even remotely functional adult. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Of when I was 12 or so coming home from school on a rainy fall afternoon. The bus's wipers were going like mad when this big maple leaf gets stuck under one and starts making a hideous noise. Then at the next stop we realize the 'leaf' had wings, claws and fangs!

"Another bat hits the bus. And another comes on and another comes on. Another bat hits the bus!"

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"