The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Yeah, those little turtles are speedy rascals aren't they? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, thank GOD someone thought to get rid of that pesky little twitchy-nosed menace! Little obnoxious hopping fluffy tailed brat, bringing chocolate and appealing coloured candy around just in time to break any remaining resolve of sugarless NewYears!!! What is he, really, satan of the sweets?? C'mon, everybody knows a bunny is the universal symbol of temptation!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    And the Armadillos..LOLOL too funny, but whoever did that (obvioulsy purposely) to the bunny on easter was one major sicko, I don't see the humour in that one...

Please...I take it all back...Please....play nice.

You are the better rider
    You have the nicer horse
    You have the cuter coach (well, that's subjective)

My bad...you are the bomb.

No curses please. I am really looking forward to showing next week!

Yes, I will admit it; I was the @s* that rated your thread. I'm glad there are other people who feel guilt after they accidently kill something.

I guess I feel guilt to the extreme. In the spring the bull frogs come out in droves. A person cannot drive out of my road without running over hordes of them. I creep and try to swerve around them and most of the time get out of my car to pick them up and move them off the road. The other night I picked up 6 of them so I could get through. Fortunately it was late and my neighbors weren't up! They think I'm a nut as it is.

One morning I went into my barn and opened a stall door (to bring my horse in; the black smith was scheduled to come out). I have sliding doors with bars on the top half of the door and bars on the front of the stall. I heard a chirping sound and thought the mudders (wasp looking creatures that build mud nests all over the place, which I constantly war with) had started building another nest in the slides for the door. So I rolled the door back and forth a couple times (thinking all this time how I'd fix those damn mudders); all the time looking up at the slide to see the mud nest fall out. The chirping and sqawking gets louder. I suddenly look at the bars in the door, and here is the barn bat stuck between the bars of the door and the bars in the front of the stall. I suddenly realize here I am cheese grating this poor bat between the door and the front of the stall. It's sqawking as loud as it can. I scream and in hysterics run out to my SO, who is puttering in the yard, "You've got to kill it! You won't believe what I did! I'm soo stupid! I killed the bat." I manage to untangle the bat from between the bars and he goes and gets a rifle and shoots it. The only thing that is left from the bat is the greasy mark on the bottom of the stall door. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

To make matters worse, my black smith arrives and I'm still babbling about crippling the bat. And he makes fun of me! Till this day, he still asks me how my bat population is thriving. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

~the bat killer

RedHotHorse; I know about teased. Everyone at the barn last night had a good hoot at my mental state, making jokes, laughing, it was awful. One girl even lamented she didn't have her digital camera with her. What, like she's gonna put it in the barn newsletter?!? Strange tho' how none of them would go remove it from my headlight.

I had nightmares last night about bunnies; they were a hop-hop-hopping around and then WHAMMO there goes my evil Ford station wagon. It was like a game of Frogger.

My boss almost had a seizure laughing at me this morning - he's Italian, they eat bunnies. My Husband has spent this morning trying to locate a replacement headlight for my quite ancient wagon. He's been trying to be sympathetic...but I see a hint of a smile everytime he says "...I'm sure it died quickly. No pain at all".

The worst was when I opened my office mail this morning and the first thing was an easter card from my MIL with a big, grinning, cute-as-a-button bunny on it.

Oh the shame.

Worthy, aka The Bunny Butcher

Well, golly, we are all animal murderers. I can relate to the bird on the windshield thing. Been there, done that. Ick!

RedHotHorse, when you started your story, I thought it was going to be a frog that got caught in the door track. When I first moved to my farm, there were frogs everywhere. Indeed, that is how I came up with the name for it. But you couldn't walk anywhere without them being under foot. You have not lived until you have stepped on a frog. Squish! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

i was comming home from the barn late. 10pm. i got off the highway and a bunny darted right under my wheels. i ran him over! i felt so bad. but it was dangerous to stop the car. so i called my friends but no one was home. so i turned the car around and went back. he was smashed. i was crying. the bunny was dead. i did scape him off the road with a stick, so no one would run him over again. now i see him on my ride to work. i feel so bad that i am thinking of burying him. i can't believe someone else did this too.

OMG I did the stall door thing on a mouse one time. I was sick for a week.
    Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past - let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
    Kennedy

Oh, Sleepy you are right! I have a another frog experience! I bought "RedHot" off the track as a stud horse (a five year old stud at that!). I brought him home and had the vet geld him. It ended up being a very unroutine gelding experience, and recovery took twice as long as it usually does. Well, part of the recovery he had to be extensively hand walked. So walking around the indoor arena, we passed by a bull frog. (Like I mentioned before my farm is over run with frogs in the spring.) I made a note of where he was at so we wouldn't run him over, but I must have forgotten about him because a couple days later I noticed that frog was now a squished dried place in the sand. ick. Someone stepped on the frog and I am wondering who did it!!

I once nailed TWO raccoons at the same time. I was taking a curve very fast in the middle of the night. A whole herd of 'em were in the middle of the road. Some went this way; some went that way. Some went under the wheels. Ugh. Horrible!

Once I threw a bale of hay down from the hay loft, and it landed on top of a kitten!! It was terrible! I was only about 12 or so, which made it even worse. The kitten flopped around on the floor for a while, but eventually recovered. It was promptly named 'Miracle'.

I'd forgotten about the darn frogs - up in NH they were all over the road one rainy night and I was swerving to avoid them, going about 10 miles an hour. Next thing I know I've got a cop giving me a drunk test (stand on one foot, tilt your head back and touch your nose etc). I tried to explain about the frogs...

I also got stopped by the police on the Beltway in DC trying to rescue a snapping turtle. I was in full corporate war attire - business suit, 3 inch heels etc. trying to sprint out and grab the thing, which kept trying to grab me back- so I'd run back off the road and look for weapons and then run back. By the time the cop got there I had a run in my pantyhose, was barefoot, the turtle had broken my finger and I was crying and my mascara was running. Made the cop put on his lights, stop traffic and rescue turtle. He was a good sport about it. I was atoning for the turtle life I had taken previously...

I drive very slowly on country roads at night, scanning the roadside for the gleam of little animals eyes. Needless to say, I have mistakenly slowed down for the gleam of empty beercans...

I am having such a bad day. This thread is really disgusting and I can't stop laughing at it. Reading it to a friend, I was mortified and laughing hysterically while being mortified. It has brought back every poor ant I ever stepped on, every mouse present Owen has brought home, every bird present Owen has brought home, the thing that totalled our car, the squirrel that fell from a tree on my hood and nearly gave me a coronary, and the deer we managed to miss.

I am so shamed and full of guilt.

On a "lighter" note, anyone ever been to Bermuda? They have these huge toads that only come out at night and there are thousands of them flattened on the roadways. It took me a week to get over it. Never saw a living one. I wonder if Bermudians suffer so?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath upon it, and
    created the horse.\" Bedouin legend

I once hit a cat & thought he was still alive, so I wrapped him in my jacket & put him in the front seat of my car. I arrivd at my boyfriend's house sobbing like an idiot. He took one look at the cat and told me he was dead, but I was convinced that he was still breathing. It was 11:00 p.m., I don't know where I thought I was going to take the darn thing!!

But I made my boyfriend (now husband) get in the back seat and off we drove down the road with this dead? alive? cat in the passenger seat! It wasn't until I smelled something . . . and my boyfriend denied farting!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] . . . that I began to suspect the cat really was dead after all . . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I pulled over and dumped that dead, farting cat into the ditch as fast as I could!!
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

You definitely have my sympathies. Something akin to that happened to me years ago, involving a cat.

I went down to my car to go to work. I was living in an apartment then, and my car was in an open carport. I started up the car, and there was a big thunk and fur flying. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I absolutely freaked, wondering what to do, but had to get to work for an early morning meeting. So I started driving, with the car running very sluggishly. After about a mile, I heard a sound like something was dropping out of the car, and looked behind me, but saw nothing.

When I got to work, still shaking and rather hysterical, I had a guy I worked with open the hood. All he saw was a lot of gray fur; he surmised that a cat had crawled up into the engine of my car early in the morning for warmth, and that a fan blade had struck the cat when I turned on the engine, probably killing it virtually instantly. He thought the noise I had heard while driving was the cat (or what was left of it at that point) falling out of the engine compartment - and I recalled that after that, the car was running much more smoothly and easily.

There wasn't anything I could have done to have prevented it, but I felt soooo bad about it for such a long time..... And was very nervous starting the car for quite some time afterwards.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Sorry for the bunny.

What area is it that bull frogs come out in droves-yuck.

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

anyone remember that song, 'Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road'???

Here's what Arizona Highway personnel did when they came across roadkill..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

on the bunny slattered across the headlights is gross thank you !!!!!
    BUt i sympathize with you about having hysterics after!!
    I ran over a dog a long time ago he just ran out in front of me .I was weeping etc took him to nearest vet . jeez that was awful!1
    Brilyntrip

AbbyB Guest

LOL @ dublin!!

Ph gosh, the poor thing got hit then painted. I wonder who the heck did that!! *tut tut* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

A B B Y

Oh I'm so glad there are other people who slow down for wildlife--I can't drive so I make my family slow down [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] --We hit a deer once, driving up to the mountains, the day after Christmas, to try out our new snowboards~~completely smahed the front end of our car--replaced the hood, fenders, etc....about $3000 worth or damamge, and all I could do was stare back at the poor deer gasping by the highway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] My dad couldn't stop shaking afterwards for about 2 hours. Skiing wasn't a whole lot of fun the rest of that day.

I rescue animals injured on the sides of the road when I can; many squirrels, many calls about larger things like deer and dogs--I feel so guilty if I don't at least try to help.

Saddest thing I ever witnessed was driving to a lesson one winter night with my dad. We were turning a corner to head up a hill to the barn, and see this deer moving on the side of the road, thrashing and struggling, its leg was caught in a fence or wire or something--not a trap, this was a main road. Obviously, neither of us could just leave it there--guilt from the ski trip/deer maiming--so we turned around and headed to the local police station, about 50 yards back. We tell someone in the parking lot about it, and he says, "Yeah, someone alerted us, we're sending out some of our guys to deal with it."
    OK whew. So we head back off to barn, passing the same spot, just to see what they're doing. Well, this deer appeared to be all right, aside from being entangled, and we thought they'd tranq him and undo the damage or at least check him out first, then haul him off into the woods and release him or soemthing. But no, they pull up in their big ole trunk, drag a couple rifles out of the bed and load them--at this point I started yelling for my dad to keep driving, I did NOT want to watch this--and aim at the deer. He of course saw the guns and hit the gas.

Every time I see that curve of the road at night I think about that poor deer. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

OK, next happy thread!