The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Crystals on jackets??

Would I be stoned to death for putting some bling on my hunt coat? I wouldn't go overboard, but I'm wanting to jazz it up a bit since I won't be buying a new one for awhile. I could have sworn I've been seeing pictures of hunt coats with some bling on them, but not sure how acceptable it is just yet.

We are going BN/N, have two recognized shows on the books for June and September, and I'm hoping to go to a few local dressage shows as well.

Man I feel like a raccoon...shiny things! Shiny things! MUST HAVE!

I think it would be great! You can buy them with sparkles, so adding them shouldn't be a problem. You should see my coats! He he, different is better!!!
    To ride or not to ride-what a stupid question!
    -Unknown

Do whatever you want for stadium. DON'T for dressage. Gotta say I am with George Morris on this-- the focus should be on the horse. Personally I would save the bedazzling for xc (or better yet, Western Pleasure!)

Save the bling for XC. Can't help it, I am a traditionalist in the terms that you are showing your horse & its training, not shouting "LOOK AT ME" with sparkles....

I'd glitz my car, get a shiny bumper sticker or shift the urge to "bling" into another aspect of my life. Horses and their tack are gorgeous au naturale. The more elegant the pair, the more fun to watch.

Do whatever floats your boat, but . . . ewww.

It's a matter purely of taste and it's a free country, so doing whatever is within the rules is 100% A-OK. I have mixed feelings about "tradition" vs. "self expression" and so I heartily recommend you just do what makes you happy. You will horrify some people and have others giving you compliments. Neither of whom should score higher on the opinion poll than your very own opinion does.

I will add that the more bling you're wearing, the lower your scores had better be.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

I will add that the more bling you're wearing, the lower your scores had better be.
    LOL right??

I'm not talking overboard, like Western Pleasure. Ick. I was thinking more like putting just a couple small ones on the collar, or along the pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    Would I be stoned to death for putting some bling on my hunt coat?
    Just my personal opinion, but "yep". Let your horse do the impressing.

If you want to bling out your x-country garb, go for it. But my preference is classic for Dressage and Stadium.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

As long as you can remove the bling when the time comes that you hate them - or can run out and buy a new coat....

I ride dressage and I have crystal buttons on my jacket, they are very pretty and have just enough flash to make me happy. I have never once had a judge make a comment about the buttons, oh and I actually have them on both of my jackets. Peri's leather used to sell them but I'm not sure if they still do.
    I love bling too!!

I've got to agree with some others on here...don't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Do whatever floats your boat, but . . . ewww.

Between this thread and the one about "Omigod what will happen to me if I don't braid", this is starting to read like the H/J board. Next thing we know people will start asking for help with show names...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis