The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just inherited a new boy!!! Update took him on his first public trail ride

Well I was contacted by a trainer that I used to work for telling me that the owner was finally going to retire Bo, horse who I have taken care of when racing at Colonial Downs for the past 3 years who I absolutely adore, and I said of course!!!! So we worked out shipping and getting him rides from DE to VA. He came home at the middle of March, 11 days after a lost my newborn foal in a pasture accident. I had to schedule his castration...etc. He had never been out in a field with other horses and had to learn how to be in a group. But he is doing great and has finally started to settle into the more laid back life of life at a regular farm. I just started him under saddle and am hoping he will be ready to go on the ride next weekend with the Richmond Mounted Police (not pushing but hoping). I would like to introduce everyone to Yokozuna Bo!!! I'm not really a gelding horse but I absolutely adore this boy.

He wasn't happy about being in the dry lot but he couldn't go out with the mares.http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29995...Iwv?vhost=pets

Us together ate the track 2 years agohttp://pets.webshots.com/photo/23139...45431412uknZSk
    Last edited by cripplecreekfrm; May. 2, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

Awwww! His new life begins.

Congrats!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

It is a HUGE change for him. He is out with my yearling since they both had the same surgery and they really do get along great together. He and my stallion make ugly faces at each other across the fence lines and it is really quite funny to watch. I believe in 24/7 turnout and only have stalls for when someone is hurt or it is yucky outside and I think foaling in imminent. The first time he got rained on he looked at me like I was crazy! He has such a great personality and I spoiled him rotten when he was racing here so I have no one to blame for his brattiness but myself. He isn't bad and he really has good manners but he can be a brat. I normally put 6 months on these guys and rehome them to promote the breed as a riding horse but I think I'm going to be keeping this one.

Gorgeous horse! Congratulations to you both!

What a wonderful story, for you, and for your new horse!

Congratulations
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I'm glad his trainer remembered you. It's always good to see a horse go somewhere that suits it needs so well. Have fun with your new boy!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

He's gorgeous! If you want to re-home him, I'd be happy to take him off your hands! Absolutely beautiful boy.

Thank you guys!!! His trainer remembered that I wanted him because we are friends and every time I saw him I reminded him!!! I also am very happy that he had an owner that cared enough about him that they just wanted him to be well taken care of after it was evident that he would not be able to race any more.

He is a very nice looking guy. You would never know he was a STB unless you saw the tattoo on his neck. He isn't going anywhere. He will be at my farm until I have to bury him.

I got on him for the first time today. He took everything in stride and didn't even care so I think it is going to be a very fun summer.

To me, he looks a lot like an Arab in those pics! What a beautiful guy. Glad he is home with you.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

nope he is definitely a STB though no one guesses it until they see his tattoo. Here is one of his win pictures when I was taking care of him.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21616...45431412GwACUz

He's just lovely! Congratulations!

Pretty boy indeed! Congratulations and good luck!

SwampYankee

Wow, he's really pretty! Congrats!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

What a handsome guy! I have an ex-racer standardbred also named Beau lol. Hope you guys have many happy years together! They are such a great breed (as I'm sure you know), after having mine I'm not sure I'll ever get anything else. Have fun with him!

Wow! Would never have guessed STB. But will still take him off your hands, if you so choose. ;o)

Great story OP, so nice you were reunited with your boy. He is really handsome.

I'm also a STB person, i am "owned by" a STB mare. They have the best temperaments and are so versatile.

Have fun with your boy!

I will definitely have fun with my boy. I am a die hard STB person and normally have one on my property at all times. Unfortunately, I like a hotter ride than most of them are. So I keep them for a while and find them great homes as riding horses. Bo is much hotter than most STB's so I think he is a keeper plus he has such an interesting personality and is already spoiled rotten (my doing of course) No one has guessed STB even my farrier that came out yesterday to trim everyone and I had him pull his shoes and told him to start making his feet look like riding horse feet. He said you mean he is one of your STB's? I would never of guessed. It was great. I haven't seen him pace yet and he just started cantering in the field. I am very lucky to have gotten this chance to give him a "retirement" home. The man who bred and owned him even added me as a friend on FB so that he can see all the photos. Bo was so lucky to have him as an owner.

Here is a photo of our first ride.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24742...EuY?vhost=pets

Talking

I took Bo on his first public trailride this past Sunday. The Richmond Ride is a urban trail ride through downtown Richmond VA to benefit the mounted police and though it is an almost all walking ride it is something that most people don't get to do. I was hoping that he would be ready but wasn't really counting on it but then down to the wire events happened to make him the only horse that was able to go. So I figured I might as well take him the worse that could happen is we would get excused from the ride. He was a little bit confused when we first got there but once we got under way he was a saint! He did try to put his nose right on the back slats of the lead wagon like it was the starting car and couldn't figure out why it didn't pull off, which was really funny. After that I went towards the back of the group and he was really good. He didn't bat an eye at anything. I always knew that if he ever came home to me he would never leave but know I know he is definitely a keeper. I haven't gotten the photos from the actual ride yet (friend and camera holder hasn't passed them to me yet) but here are some photos from hanging out at the trailer.

I think this was his first apple...all I could think is it must have been sour
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23982...SZX?vhost=pets

all tacked up and snacking
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21915...45431412MXtNwg

I think that after he becomes less race fit he is going to be even more hansome but I might be a little bias.

I will update with under saddle pics as soon as I have them