The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fractured jaws in foals... Success stories and jingles please!

My very first foal born away from home fractured his jaw this morning. He and mom were running and playing at turnout, and she bucked at the wrong moment. He's in surgery now for a displaced fracture of his lower jaw. The plan is to do a closed reduction and use an external fixture to hold things in place. He's barely a month old, and my brain is already going through every worst case scenario I can think of... Refusal to nurse, bone infections, etc...
    I'd love to hear others' experience with this, as I've never delt with a jaw fracture before... Let alone long distance and in a baby.
    -Jessica

oh, Jess, I am so sorry.
    I haven't had any experience with this at all, so can't offer any advice - but I am sending you massive jingles and huge cyber hugs..
    Best wishes to the little lad for a successful surgery and speedy, complete recovery.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Very best wishes.

Default Prayers and jingles

I also have no experience with this. Big prayers and jingles for your little guy. Let us know how he does.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I have no experience with this, either, but am sending a million jingles to your foal and to you.

I've known two yearling/two year old to fracture their jaws. We think they stuck their little noses through the stall bars and got stuck. One was wired back in place, and the lower teeth slightly overlapped but grew out with no problems (I bought this filly at 2.5yrs and am getting ready to start her now). I believe the other went through full surgery (not sure what the treatment was) but he also healed with no problems and no damage for eating, biting, etc...

So good luck!!

Oh man, Jess, the poor baby. I'll be jingling like mad.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

many many JINGLES!!!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

I watched a foal, probably two months old, reach out over the top of a dutch door stall arrangement, grab the chain, catch it in his jaw, then pull back on it. You could hear the jaw crack all over the barn. He had it wired shut, I think, (it has been quite a few years), stayed at the vet's place for several days, and recovered just fine with no ill effects at all.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I had a colt fracture his jaw when he was about 2 months old. We did nothing to it (it was not displaced) and it healed just fine. You would never know he did it now that he's an adult.

Jingles for your colt. I have a mare who loves to run and buck, and I live terrified until the foal learns to stay out of the way. It does sound as though a number of us have success stories with fractured jaws in foals! Jingling and praying for your foal.

Sending positive thoughts and healing wishes!!!!!!

Default Update!

He made it through the surgery and is up and nursing! He actually had a fracture on each side of his lower jaw, and there was concern about nerve damage, but he's pursing his lips so it seems a bullet has been dodged... Now fingers are crossed that he doesn't disturb the fixtures.

COTH jingles work again!!!
    -Jessica

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AppJumpr08 View Post
    He made it through the surgery and is up and nursing! He actually had a fracture on each side of his lower jaw, and there was concern about nerve damage, but he's pursing his lips so it seems a bullet has been dodged... Now fingers are crossed that he doesn't disturb the fixtures.

COTH jingles work again!!!
    GREAT update, Jess. Best news of the day, bar none. What a relief,
    Good boy.
    Continuing to keep you and him in my thoughts.

xo Gail
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Yes, I'm so happy for all of you! I feel nothing but relief, too! Wonderful!

I have an 11 year old gelding that sometime before he turned 2 (I got him in February of his 2 year old year), he broke his jaw and had some temporary partial paralysis of his face on that same side. We don't know how, or what was done (I suspect little to nothing as he was a rescue when I got him) and while there is some deformity, it does not impair function at all and most people don't notice unless I show it to them. And up until this year, he's had no unusual tooth issues (two back molars on that side did move apart causing a gap this year although it's unclear as to why that happened and if it was related to the previous injury).

Jingles for your colt and I'm glad to hear he's doing well after the surgery.

So glad your little guy is doing well. Continued prayers and jingles.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Glad to hear your little guy came out of the surgery well!
    When my Amos (now 7) was 5 months old, he somehow fractured his lower jaw, right in the groove behind his chin. I did not see how he did it; I just noticed a rather large swelling and had the vet out to x-ray it. It was broken almost completely in two, right behind his lower incisors. It was not displaced, however, and did not require surgery...it healed beautifully with just stall rest. I did delay his weaning until he was 7 months old. Babies have an amazing ability to heal themselves! Now, if I run my fingers under/behind his chin, I can just barely feel a tiny ridge where the bone remodeled, but he never had any trouble with it at all.

Katja

Lots of jingles. Strangely enough a good friend of mine took a filly to WSU yesterday with a fractured jaw. As of late this afternoon they were still waiting to hear ct scan results. Good luck

Jingles for continued improvement!!