The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hey Portia - I'm with you! I've hunted dozens of times, and never "personally seen" the catch. The few times we did get a fox I stayed way way back and totally ignored the situation. I just love riding through the countryside, watching the hounds work, and not worrying about my equitation!!! LOL!

Oh yes please!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I'm with you Portia and Colin. I can't wait to go foxhunting, but I'll be looking for drag hunts or clubs with slow packs.

Can I go watch this year Kennett Square? Can I, can I, huh, huh, pant, pant?

What's the URL for FOL?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:
    the only way the terminally soft-hearted types like me, who would never be able to stand it if hounds actually caught sometihng, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How come the terminally soft-hearted people never seem to think about the baby lambs and chickens, not to mention bunnies and mice who are caught and devoured by the fox, who probably doesn't look quite so endearing at the moment of the kill?

Thinking about it is one thing.....actually SEEING it is another! ICK!

Well, am I embarrassed or what? Imagine me misunderstanding what I was originally told about FOL; I thought it was exclusive, but if they're willing to copy my post from here, then they can't be, right? I guess I was allowed to believe that because Someone doesn't want me to spend even MORE time on the computer! LOL
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

My dogs kill invaders all the time.

A kill is a kill, whether it's a fox, an armadillo, a rat or a rabbit. If you have hunting dogs, you have to expect them to kill things.

Granted a rat isn't as cute as a fox. but the principle is the same.

Gotta say, though, that in my hunting, and the hunt that I get hounds from now, kills have been non-existent. But I'm not offended by the thought of one.

When I boarded with an MFH, the freezer always had brushes and masks that came from South Carolina hunt weeks.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

One of those city that are big towns, real big!,San Antonio TX

I remember my first hunt here in texas. It wasn't a fox hunt it was a cyotie hunt. itis strange when you move to a new region. I like the idea of a hunting forum.
    \"I\'m going to go see a horse about a man\" - Unknown

Colin, go to http://rivendell.cc.uky.edu/fol and you will see new subscriber instructions.

Yes sounds like an interesting forum
    ~If you do what you have always done you will get what you have always gotten. ~

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well, I'll take all that as a "yes"!

I'll run it by the Chronicle folks to make sure it's okay. Most likely it wouldn't be implemented until after the Olympic stuff has died down. I'll probably delete the Olympic forum sometime in October, and then add one for foxhunting.

Thanks for the input!

Thanks Erin! I hope you get approval from the COTH staff to move forward with a Foxhunting board!

SLWarrior: Another Kansas foxhunter! Are you a member of MV or FL?
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Neither, at this time. I keep saying I will join FL, hunted as a guest there 2 seasons ago, nice folks and terrific places to hunt. My mare died last November and I found a new horse this January. This summer was spent taking a daughter to her western shows so I did not get to do the *8 Easy Lessons* at FL with the new horse [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img], I'm just not 100% sure how the guy will do in back with the hilltoppers, where I enjoy being.

However, an annual "All Girls Ride" is this weekend- no husbands, no children no nothing but horses, gals, food and adult drinks! I am taking the guy out for a spin. It will be a mixed group of experienced horse gals and a nice place to rough out the horse to faster crowds. If he does well, we'll join and get in some cubbing time before the season starts!! I live closer to MV, same county, but a good buddy is a FL member so I would join up there.

SLWarrior:

I'm a whipper-in at FL and also a member of MV (I was a member of MV when I met hubby at a joint meet, he was a FL member, now we hunt with both).

FL has just started cubbing and is finishing up the 8 Easys. Be nice to see if your new horse will hunt, and there is always a hilltop group that takes things slower. Come on out!

Badger-

Nice to meet you on this forum! This weekends weather will feel like hunting weather! Hopefully my guy will take to the crowds this weekend. He is better than I give him credit for, I just have an extremely high, but reachable, standard for manners with my horses.

You probably know my friend from LV hunt. She just took her gelding, a Selle Francis(sp) TB cross to one of the Masters, ahh I think he is Master, to use for a hunting horse. The horse is Boggs.

excellent idea. Many foxhunters are long time chronicle subscribers, as am I. It could be a good place to dispell some of the blood sport hysteria as well as to educate equestrian as to the fun and befefits of the sport. Foxhunting is an excellent venue to train both horse and rider to be both brave and savvy. Remember where the show hunter classes originated from: "working hunter". If more competers/trainers/judges were truely familiar with the demands and requirements of a true "working hunter", I believe the hunter-jumper sport and its participants would greatly benefit. I vote a strong yes. But "bleeding hearts" please keep your comments to another thread.

SLWarrior:

Yes indeed, she is a very gracious lady and is now hunting both with MV and FL, as she lives closer to MV. I hear she has a nice new horse to bring along. Boggs' new situation will suit him well. He did indeed go to a MFH who is an excellent horseman, an excellent home.

Good to meet you too! Now, if they had the foxhunting forum set up, we'd get to meet more foxhunters this way.

>Would anyone here be interested in a >foxhunting forum?

Make it more of a general hunting forum, then you could include us harriers and draghunters!!