The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Since two people have asked me about this in as many days, I thought I'd run it by the masses.

Would anyone here be interested in a foxhunting forum? I've thought about it before, but I've never been sure it would get much use. If people are interested, though, I have no problem with creating one.

Let me know if you have an opinion either way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Since two people have asked me about this in as many days, I thought I'd run it by the masses.

Would anyone here be interested in a foxhunting forum? I've thought about it before, but I've never been sure it would get much use. If people are interested, though, I have no problem with creating one.

Let me know if you have an opinion either way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I like the idea and COTH would be a logical place for a Foxhunting forum to be found!

Great idea! I know I'd like to learn more about it. And, to those of you who know me and are now laughing hysterically at the thought of me out foxhunting - I'd like to learn more, even if I am too chicken to ever actually do it. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Aww, come on Louise!! Stormy and Promise would just LOVE to foxhunt!!!! hehe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I also think it would be a great idea, Erin. The more, the merrier!! I have only hilltopped, but enjoyed that very much, even if it was in my youth, eons ago. . .Like Louise, I doubt seriously that I would be brave enough to actually foxhunt these days!!

[This message has been edited by Duffy (edited 09-13-2000).]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEASE!!!!! Say you'll do it! I want to learn as much as I can about this sport of old, and I have been invited to hunt recently, so I need all the help I can get!
    I suppose that as anything, if it doesn't go over well, you can change it back.
    Please give it a shot! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Count my vote in for a foxhunting forum!

I don't know, Erin....may not be too healthy for me! There aren't any foxes in Utah. No hunts. I MISS THEM SOOOO MUCH!!!!!

Living in Middleburg, I was fortunate enough to be invited to numerous hunts with a private pack in Bath County....what a FABULOUS TIME I had!!! Oh, the memories....I think I will cry now!!! Boo hoo!

Yee-haa! Count me in! Thanks Erin and the other people who suggested a foxhunting forum.

My horse and I went cubbing this past weekend. Both he and I were so psyched! I am sure that if I had given him the go-ahead, he would have sniffed out a fox on his own - I have seen experienced field hunters who can track just as well as the hounds. When we returned to the barn, my horse kept coming over and happily nuzzling me. He definitely was placing his vote for what he wants to do this coming weekend. Hey, I am happy to oblige!

[This message has been edited by Whistlejacket (edited 09-13-2000).]

LOUISE, you can foxhunt the same way you do that next dressage test with Promise and Stormy. Just start running, jumping rope and doing squats right now to get those legs in shape.

Erin, I would love to see a foxhunting forum. One of my goals from the beginning has been to learn to ride well enough to hunt. I'm certain that a forum would be a great place to learn.

I think its a great idea! We can all laugh about how much I dont know about Foxhunting! LOL... and, I could enlighten everyone with my very amusing stories from back in my Pony Club foxhunting days [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Lotsa fun!
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

I think that I'll just look out my back window and watch the family of foxes that has taken to using my back yard as a playground (Mom, Dad and 3 now almost grown cubs - cute and you should see what those guys can do to a tennis ball!) Razumny. That'll save lots of wear and tear on me, not to mention Ms. P and Mr. S whom Duffy is so generously volunteering.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Oh, yes! It'll give me a chance to talk about my retired foxhound, whose favorite place is my recliner. I'm turning into a retirement home for foxhounds, (2 in 2 years, anyway) and I have to say that they make wonderful housepets once they are retrained.

How can I post a picture of Eli in his recliner? He's an purebred American Foxhound, and enormous!
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Count another yes vote here! Even if I'm aching from my first day of the season cubbing. I had a suspicion it wouldn't be an easy day, easing us back into the swing, and I was right...It's a happy ache, though.

Please please please w/ horse nibbles on top! My boss subscribes to FOL and I only get to hear about those people 2nd hand. Erin and Weatherford will love the blatent advertising by other entities on FOL!

[This message has been edited by Kryswyn (edited 09-14-2000).]
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Great idea! With cubbing just around the corner, it's a perfect time too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kryswyn:
    It burns me that I can't afford FOL and I only get to hear about those people 2nd hand. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kryswyn, what do you mean you can't afford FOL???

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Oh please do, Erin!

I never got a chance to foxhunt when I had horses and was showing, but would have loved to....I'd just enjoy being a lurker on the forum, and learning more about it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

well, Kryswyn, you must mean you can't afford the time to read all the FOL email that will clog your mailbox, as FOL online is free! They are laughing over your post which was copied and sent out...(Not by me!)

Their subscribers are from all over the world, and up-to-date on all hunting issues.

I would just love them to move their discussions here - which is a much easier format!

Oh, and from what I've seen, they get as sidetracked into silly issues as we do, as well as the political ones. A lot of passionate people there - can we handle it?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Now Colin, you know you don't need foxes to foxhunt - coyotes do just fine. And the added benefit of hunting coyotes is that they are virtually impossible to catch -- the only way the terminally soft-hearted types like me, who would never be able to stand it if hounds actually caught sometihng, can enjoy hunting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (Before I would go out with the local hunt, the hunt master who invited me had to swear up and down that they've never come close to catching anything.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Portia (edited 09-14-2000).]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry