The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Where is your gear overnight at an event?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Locked up in trailer or tack stall

41 43.16%
  • In front of stall, but trunks are locked

24 25.26%
  • In front of stall, not locked

28 29.47%
  • Other

2 2.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you leave trunks, etc in front of your stall?

As the title says. Do you leave things in front of your stall overnight at events? Or are they safely locked up somewhere?

I leave stuff in a locked trunk, which is in turn locked via a bike chain to the stall.

I have one of those horrifically ugly upright SportTotes and ride in hunterland, so
    a.) the bikelock is not just around a handle that can be screwed off easily, it is around the hinge for the lid
    and
    b.) no one in hunterland wants my ugly@$$ plastic trunk.

Tack stall usually. But I'm starting to get more paranoid. Last night the saddles came back to the hotel

All of the above. Hay, feed, brushes, halters, helmets, boots, general barn stuff is left in the aisle. Saddles are either locked up in the tack room of my trailer or in the truck. If it's a big show and we have a tack stall, I lock that up with a bicycle lock/chain at night. (I don't mean we lock it up because it's a big show, but rather that we only ever get tack stalls at big shows)

Theft happens, but I've never had so much as a hoof pick stolen at a show, ever. (touch wood!) It may have something to do with the fact that my stuff is generally nothing special.
    Click here before you buy.

My (locked) trunk stays in front of the stall. That has horse boots, grooming kit, braiding supplies, and odds and ends like safety pins, scissors, tape, etc. My tack comes in the truck back to the hotel with me. Anything else stays in the trailer.

I've never had anything stolen either except for the strange time I was stabling at an event in their indoor, and everybody had their mucking supplies up against the wall. I randomly see this guy walking around with what appears to be my pitchfork (its hard to miss, there are not many neon green pitchforks around!). Sure enough, my pitchfork was no longer sitting in my muck cart. When approached, the guy just said, "Oh, I didn't feel like looking for ours so I just took this one." Uhhh, okay then. I kept my muck stuff in front of my stall after that I highly doubt that he was planning on taking it but HELLO!, you can't just swipe someone else's pitchfork!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I'll bet he would have put it back. I have been known to grab a pitchfork to scoop a pile and quick put it back again . . .
    Click here before you buy.

I'm sure he would have too, it was just his reaction! Plus, he was planning on stripping his whole stall!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I have my trunck locked and chained in front of my stall. Saddles, bridles, and my show clothes go in the locked trailer. My trunk has boots for horse, braiding and wash kit, wraps, and other little things. Its a plastic dans trunk.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I keep my locked trunk in front of my stall. it just has saddle pads, polos, boots, cleaning and polishing stuff, grooming, random stuff, etc.
    all tack goes with me or gets locked in the trailer.
    I try not to be too worried, I mean, if I was truly worried about theft, I wouldnt leave my horse there! I do check late and night and extra early in the mornings though.

My tack trunk stays locked in front of my stall. Everything else goes back into the truck and goes with me. I wish that I could afford to get a tack stall at events.

During the Spring Bay HT, at the KHP, we had an announcement that several purses had been stolen out of tack trunks, during the day! We were told to make certain that anything valuable was locked up.

Now, we are locking the trunk, even when we leave to go ride or we make certain that someone we know is in the area to keep watch.

It is too bad that eventing has gone the way of the hunter/jumpers and dressage shows. Before anyone flames me for saying this, I had my water and feed buckets stolen out of my stall at a H/J Championship show in Montgomery, Alabama. I had my brand new Ulster dressage pad (worth $80, which was alot in 1991) stolen at a dressage show.

Last year, I had something stolen at a recognized event for the first time since I started eventing in 1968. At the AEC's, I had my Fleeceworks, contour, correction pad stolen while it was drying behind our stall area. I used to never worry about leaving things unlocked or unprotected at events. I will not make that expensive mistake again.

We have enough to worry about at events, without having to worry about our stuff being lifted. Sometimes I do long for the "good old days", when eventing was smaller, we looked out for one another and our stuff did not sprout legs and walk off.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Apparently I am naive/overly trusting. I do not lock anything up. I will occasionally schlep saddles back to the trailer for the night, depending on the convenience factor and if I have a tack stall or not. But usually, it all just hangs out. I typically leave wallets and things in the truck, but gear is by the stall.

I've only noticed ONE group of people, once, lock their tack stall up. Maybe I just don't pay that close of attention.

In front and unlocked at the eventing shows. In front, chained up, and locked at the hunter shows. I did that becuase of comments made by vendors at the horse shows - at the trial, they leave stuff all over. At the hunter events, they tend to have another helper to watch over stuff and all gets put away at night. This is from more than one vendor. Comments about stuff walking away, even at the same location...And, I notice a difference by both competitors and vendors (not that I go to too many hunter shows, mind you).

At one of my first events though, I was little miffed to find my muck cart and bucket missing, and when I found it it was FULL of poop. I stuck colored tape and my name all over it and it didn't happen again. I felt a bit silly for being upset, if they had used it, returned, it and emptied it I wouldn't have cared. It was having to haul it to the maure pile and dump it that irritated me.
    "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

We lock our saddles up but leave everything else out in the open.

We also leave a mounting block out in the aisle and other people use it all the time, never had a problem with it turning up missing.

I usually try to take my saddles and put them away at night. Either take them to the trailer, or put them in the trunk of my car. Tack trunk gets locked at night. Bridles go in bridle bag, which may or may not get locked into my tack trunk at night, depending on the show and whether things have been stolen from that show before. For instance, at the KHP, NOTHING gets left out at night if I can help it.

I never can figure out the reasoning behind most of my barn mates and numerous other people who have popular saddle brands like Devoucoux and Antares, and keep the original brand saddle covers on them. Yes, they are lovely covers, but they are basically screaming out 'Steal me! I'm a very expensive and easily re-sellable saddle!'

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    I never can figure out the reasoning behind most of my barn mates and numerous other people who have popular saddle brands like Devoucoux and Antares, and keep the original brand saddle covers on them. Yes, they are lovely covers, but they are basically screaming out 'Steal me! I'm a very expensive and easily re-sellable saddle!'
    Funny that you say this! I used to have a wintec (came with my first horse) but have since sold it and bought a fairly new but used higher end saddle with cover. Luckily I still have the wintec cover to avoid the attention
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Fortunately I'm able to work out of my trailer at most of our area events. Where that isn't possible I'll share a tack stall. I'm not so much worried about theft as I am trying to maneuver my horse around everyone's stuff in the aisleway of those temporary/tent stalls. I used to be concerned that my horse would step on something and break it. Now I'm old, and don't give a crap If you're going to leave it in the middle of the aisle (plastic drink bottles, stud kits, stools, grooming totes, to name just a few items) I'm not responsible.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I am a h/j but unless it's raining out my tack box goes in front of my stall (not chained). During the day it's usually unlocked unless I know I will be gone for hours then I may lock it. During the night it's locked. If we have a tack room I will usually leave my saddle and bridle in their, it's usually locked as well for night. Never really had anything taken cept for really small things like a bridle rack or lead rope.

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    My (locked) trunk stays in front of the stall. That has horse boots, grooming kit, braiding supplies, and odds and ends like safety pins, scissors, tape, etc. My tack comes in the truck back to the hotel with me. Anything else stays in the trailer.
    This!

I don't leave anything out that I couldn't easily replace that weekend-everything else goes into the trailer (expensive leather open-fronts, shipping halter, etc.) locked, and ALL tack (bridles, breastplates, girths, saddles, monogramed show halter) and show clothes go to the hotel with yours truly.

That's my motto when I'm tired and it's 9pm and I really, really want to be lazy. "Could I replace this tomorrow and do it without crying or cursing or planning revenge?" If it's a yes, it stays in the locked trunk. If its a maybe or no, it goes back with me!
    The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique

Quote Originally Posted by akor View Post

At one of my first events though, I was little miffed to find my muck cart and bucket missing, and when I found it it was FULL of poop. I stuck colored tape and my name all over it and it didn't happen again. I felt a bit silly for being upset, if they had used it, returned, it and emptied it I wouldn't have cared. It was having to haul it to the maure pile and dump it that irritated me.
    That is so rude of whomever filled it and left it there!! WOW. Some people have an incredible set, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Apparently I am naive/overly trusting. I do not lock anything up. I will occasionally schlep saddles back to the trailer for the night, depending on the convenience factor and if I have a tack stall or not. But usually, it all just hangs out. I typically leave wallets and things in the truck, but gear is by the stall.
    Yeah, no way in hellll I'd leave anything out (see my other post with exceptions) at a show. If you can replace it right quick and it wouldn't totally eff up your life to have it go missing, then sure, let it all hanging out. But if not. Its gotta go somewhere safe.

Just my opinion. I almost always had one thing go missing at the *big* shows. Just a grooming item or gloves or etc. random low cost item but I am glad I kept to my rule. If anything other than those things went missing at the big shows? I'd be livid. As for most trials and the smaller shows I still stick w/ my rule but nothing has ever gone missing. So far.
    The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique