The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Training barn with quality trainers and clinics?- Chicagoland IL

Does anyone know of a barn that offers a great trainer and known clinicians monthly/ bi-weekly that has a club type feel..
    I am not into the "barn drama" and am looking for a great trainer within the Chicagoland area?????? Do they exist?

Which side of Chicago? How far are you willing to travel?

I do not know of a barn that meets all of your criteria, but if you do find one, please do share.
    Lack of "barn drama" maybe one stumbling block. Frequent great clinicians are also hard to come by.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Cannot give you personal experience, but I do know that my horse's full brother lives here, and he has gone through a recent sale and the new owner kept him there, so maybe it's because it's a nice place to stay? It's in the far west suburbs of Chicago, Maple Park. I am Facebook friends with my horse's brother's new owner, and they seem to be happy there.

It does sound like they do regular clinics if you click on their Clinic page....can't hurt to check into it and ask around.

http://www.eponadressage.com/Home_Page.php

wblover, was curious about the barn you posted. Checked out the website, not much info on frequency of clinics, but the lineup mentioned sounds interesting. Do you know more about the owner/trainer? Centerline comes up blank when I search "DORA CHRISTENSEN"

OP, Silverwood has good quality clinicians, albeit not biweekly, low on drama according to my friend that boarded there.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Amanda Johnson trains out of Lamplight in Wayne and at Silverwood Farms in Camp Lake, WI. I would highly recommend her.

http://amandajohnsondressage.com/
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Sunflower Farms is on the Illinois/Wisconsin border. They have lots of good clinicians (Christine Traurig, JJ Tate, Janet Foy/Steffen Peters, etc.) and have several dressage trainers: Andre Huefler - a German Bereiter and FEI trainer with an impressive background; Darcy Drije - competed GP on a quarter horse she brought up through the levels; and Connie Vanderwheel - focuses on mostly lower level riders but is very good.

http://www.sunflowerfarms.com/

Also, Jochen Hippenstiel trains out of Brighton Farms in the same area. I don't of them having clinicians but Jochen is a very accomplished GP rider and trainer from Germany and used to be head trainer at Tempel Farms.

Also, check out Cadence Dressage in McHenry

http://www.excelsiorequestrian.com/h...estrian-center

This is just over the border in Indiana. There is a wonderful caring trainer there. She has clinics a few times a year and 2 schooling shows. Most importantly NO barn drama, really... Been there done that and have not had a problem here. Really a well run, reasonably priced place. Good luck!

Default Dora Christensen

Dora was my first dressage trainer! She used to do lessons at a stable called Coach Horse Equestrian on N. Orleans St in downtown Chicago. I thought she was a great trainer, and I learned so much from her.

Good luck with your search

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    Amanda Johnson trains out of Lamplight in Wayne and at Silverwood Farms in Camp Lake, WI. I would highly recommend her.

http://amandajohnsondressage.com/
    Ditto.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

If all goes well, there will soon be a huge equestrian complex in the city, south side, on the lake.

I think your 'closest match' is going to be Silverwood. Great care. Many quality dressage trainers to choose from. Regular quality clinicians (but not monthly -- honestly, don't know of any facility that can get clinicians in monthly).. Great care. Low/No tolerance for 'barn drama' which is prevalent at every sizable facility I know of in the area.

Good luck. Your requirements are a tall order that I don't think you'll find anywhere around here.. particularly monthly clinicians and no drama...

Quote Originally Posted by xrmn002 View Post
    Sunflower Farms is on the Illinois/Wisconsin border. They have lots of good clinicians (Christine Traurig, JJ Tate, Janet Foy/Steffen Peters, etc.) and have several dressage trainers: Andre Huefler - a German Bereiter and FEI trainer with an impressive background; Darcy Drije - competed GP on a quarter horse she brought up through the levels; and Connie Vanderwheel - focuses on mostly lower level riders but is very good.

http://www.sunflowerfarms.com/

Also, Jochen Hippenstiel trains out of Brighton Farms in the same area. I don't of them having clinicians but Jochen is a very accomplished GP rider and trainer from Germany and used to be head trainer at Tempel Farms.

I second Sunflower Farms! I grew up at Connie Vanderweele's old barn in Illinois, and she is great! Also, I believe the other folks are from Tempel Farms, which has turned out tons of awesome riders and horses. I wish I still lived in Chicago, because this would be my barn for sure!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post
    If all goes well, there will soon be a huge equestrian complex in the city, south side, on the lake.
    ???more info??? Please.

I used to clinic regularly with Patti Becker (before I moved) and really enjoyed riding with her. (and as a retired pro, I am pretty critical and fussy about who I ride under). She is great at explaining the whys and hows of what she asks of you, and works very hard to make sure you "get it". I would ride with her in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

Patti Becker is now at Fireside, just down the road from Silverwood.

http://www.thefiresidefarm.com/

There is a dressage training stable just 20 minutes from downtown Chicago - Legacy USA of Burr Ridge, Il.
    The link is www.LegacyUSAstables.com. They have had clincians Kathy Connelly and Lendon Gray (part of the Dressage 4 Kids program). Great feed program, too. Close to Chicago saves the gas.
    Last edited by SeymourSimon2; Jan. 10, 2013 at 07:22 PM.