The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nicest, Prettiest, High Quality Halter & Lead Rope

I want to buy my current horse a fancy leather halter and matching lead, strictly to be used for showing/outings, etc. Not everyday use. I currently have a nice leather shipping halter with sheepskin, but it is getting a bit tired looking. I have no real preference on padded, fancy stitched etc... I just want something that is instantly recognized as high quality. I remember a "tack I covet" thread that had some good suggestions, but I can't find it.

So what would everyone recommend? No price range at this point and the horse in question has a beautiful head with a star and a snip, so no need to camouflage anything

I am willing to order and have it shipped as most of the tack stores in the area seem to offer the same options.

Thanks in advance!!

I really like the design and stitching on the ADT halter and lead rope (http://www.adttack.com/pages/adt-halters-and-leads.php) and without a budget thats what I would get. But I have to admit I got the most supple, soft, and gorgeous leather halter from a dover store for maybe $40 on sale. Not sure of the brand but its super nice. So I would go to a local tack store and see if anything catches your eye as well as shopping around online.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

I like walsh halters, and very 'classic' in my opinion.

I have a couple of Antares halters that are very nice. I also like Quillin halters. I use them for everyday. They are not cheap but fabulous quality. They also have lead shanks. Quillin has a red leather halter that i love. I

The Antares halters are beautiful, but very very padded so it really depends on each horse's face whether they look great or are too much
    I'm always a fan of a classic Walsh halter, the simple triple stitch always does it for me!

I personally don't think you can go wrong with a mare sale halter from Quillin! www.quillin.com

Walsh halters have always been quite classic. Love the finish on them!

Quillin for sure!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Tack Shack of Ocala - nicer than Quillin, hands down. (Though Quillin does have better plates.)

http://www.tackshackocala.com/3040.html
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

This leather halter thread has lots of resources and opinions:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=349717

My favorite is still the classic Walsh leather halter, although Quillin makes a very nice product and the Antares halters are beauties, although they don't always flatter every horse.

I would suggest you go with the Antares lead shank though, I bought mine years ago and its one of the best purchases I have ever made. Its thicker than the regular skinny rope shanks, has a wonderful soft, comfy feel in your hands and I love the leather end which keeps it from being pulled through your hand unexpectedly. I get more compliments on it even after all these years, it matches any leather halter and its much more comfortable for handling IMO.
    http://www.antares-sellier.com/index...owse&Itemid=28

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Second the tack shack halters, and also I bought a leather lead w/o shank that I use all the time (put a plate w/initials on it). It's lovely and the only real downside to leather leads is you aren't going to tie up the horse with them. Of course, in my tack shack junkie status, I also have a lead shank with a leather covered chain and a shank with a bit chain (the double chain that attaches to the bit).

But I might have more than your average bear.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I'm probably going to be the odd one out, but I really like the Weaver halters. The quality is much nicer than Walsh halters... leather is soft and supple.

I think Harmohn Kraft makes the prettiest halters, hands down. I have a padded fancy stitched as well as a square raised padded fancy stitched. They just look amazing.

I LOVE my Lasalle halter. It is buttery soft leather and beautiful. For less than $70 you can't go wrong!

http://www.lasalleharness.com/

Quote Originally Posted by VTMorgan06 View Post
    I LOVE my Lasalle halter. It is buttery soft leather and beautiful. For less than $70 you can't go wrong!

http://www.lasalleharness.com/
    The LaSalle halters are Walsh.

Walsh also makes the Dover Pro halters.

I used to be a die-hard Walsh fan, but then ordered a Tack Shack of Ocala halter for daily use (keeping the Walshes - yes, plural) for show. I loved my Tack Shack halter so much, I sold my Walshes... and then bought more from Tack Shack.

ETA - I would pick Walsh over Quillin for a second choice.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

This Shires halter is what my horse has as his "fancy" wear. The only thing I dislike about it is there's not really a place for a nameplate. The quality more than makes up for it, though.

I got my boss this lead shank for Christmas one year and it's lovely, even if you don't need a chain. Pretty sure I heard about it from DMK, so thanks ever so much!

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    I'm probably going to be the odd one out, but I really like the Weaver halters. The quality is much nicer than Walsh halters... leather is soft and supple.
    I too was very pleased with my weaver halter, much more than my walsh one. It was a bit stiff to start with but held up and had that really rich gorgeous look that good leather gets with a bit of age. When I go for a show halter again I will be seriously looking at weaver again.

I have gotten many compliments on this halter, http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idproduct=2512 .

I think it is one of the nicest halters I have seen, and I am very picky with my leather!

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    The LaSalle halters are Walsh.

Walsh also makes the Dover Pro halters.

I used to be a die-hard Walsh fan, but then ordered a Tack Shack of Ocala halter for daily use (keeping the Walshes - yes, plural) for show. I loved my Tack Shack halter so much, I sold my Walshes... and then bought more from Tack Shack.

ETA - I would pick Walsh over Quillin for a second choice.
    Are they? Because my OLD lasalle halter has Walsh stamped on the end of the headstall, but the one I bought last year has Lasalle stamped on the end.