The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Got my Power Pac...now what?

So I got my Panacur Power Pac to use on my rescue guy. (vets recommended it) How do I use it? There are 5 tubes, but enough for 2 horses? I dialed it to 1,000 lbs, So I can get 2 doses out of 1 tube? The whole horse/foal thing confuses me too. So a 1,000 lb horse dose is equal to a 500 lb foal dose? I know it is probably very simple, but geez, looks complicated! Help! And I do it for 5 days, right?

the way I gave it was total weight for 5 full days. I ended up with enough to do another horse. I am not sure why they sell them this way, as it used to be smaller doses. I nly use them on new horses, that look like they need extra care. My regulars never get the power pack.

Thanks for the info. Anybody want to buy half a Power Pac? can I give my other horse one dose as a regular wormer?

The Panacur Power-Pak is meant to be used as one full tube (yes, a double dose) per day for 5 consecutive days.

Per Valley Vet's instructions (just on a quick search): Each Panacur PowerPac horse dewormer treatment contains five 57 gram (double-dose) syringes of Fenbendazole. Administer 1 syringe per 1250 lbs daily for 5 consecutive days. Each gram of paste 10% contains 100 mg Fenbendazole. Apple-cinnamon flavored.

Since your vet recommended it, a quick call to the vet to ensure you're giving the dose the vet intended might be a good idea.
    Last edited by tarynls; Apr. 20, 2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added info

Give 1 tube every day for 5 days. It's intended to be a double dose.

For example, I couldn't get a powerpac when I needed one, so I bought 10 regular dose tubes, and gave 2 each day. Double dose for 5 days.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Yes, double dose. Which is probably (unless you have a pony) the whole tube everyday for five days.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

^^^^ What they say. Double dose for five days.

One huge tube = a double dose. Unless you have a smaller pony you should not end up with any left over at the end.

A Power Pack uses fenbendazole.

The standard dose is 2.3mg/lb of body weight. The "power pack" dose, the "foal" dose is 4.6mg/lb.

A "foal dose" is double the normal amount for *one* day because that's what kills ascarids, a foal problem. A normal/standar dose not only doesn't kill ascarids, it doesn't really kill strongyles anymore either, so the 2.3mg/lb dose is never appropriate for a foal, hence "foal dose" of 4.6mg.

A Power Pack is a "foal dose", 4.6mg/lb, for 5 days in a row.

Each tube of a Power Pack or Power Dose already comes dosed at 4.6mg/lb, so if your horse weighs 1000lb, you dial 1000lb, not 500, not 2000.

Please please please make sure you don't underdose. Honestly, anything that's in the 1000lb range, just give the whole tube every day - it will not at all kill him

Use it the way it's labeled. It is supposed to be a double dose for 5 days, so one Power Pack is for one (average-sized) horse.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Each tube of a Power Pack or Power Dose already comes dosed at 4.6mg/lb, so if your horse weighs 1000lb, you dial 1000lb, not 500, not 2000.
    Are you sure about that?

I used a powerpak at the end of last year and I remember it being the opposite. If I dialed to 1000lb I would have been using half of one tube.
    (But heck, it was months ago so I am not positive.)

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Use it the way it's labeled. It is supposed to be a double dose for 5 days, so one Power Pack is for one (average-sized) horse.
    Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    Yes, I am sure about that. Straight from the label:

"Panacur® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% is administered orally at a rate of 2.3 mg/lb (5 mg/kg) for the control of large strongyles, small strongyles, and pinworms. One syringe will deworm two 1,250 lb horses. For foals and weanlings (less than 18 months of age) where ascarids are a common problem, the recommended dose is 4.6 mg/lb (10 mg/kg); one syringe will deworm one 1,250 lb horse."

Meaning, 1 tube is either a normal dose for 2 1250lb horses, or a single "power pack dose" for 1 1250lb horse. 2.3mg/lb vs 4.6mg/lb.

I used a powerpak at the end of last year and I remember it being the opposite. If I dialed to 1000lb I would have been using half of one tube.
    (But heck, it was months ago so I am not positive.)
    You're not positive No tube out there is notched for anything close to 2000lb.

The powerpack tubes are just double dose tubes, so you could essentially give two horses a single dose with one of their tubes, hence the 2000lb mark on the larger tube.

Are you saying the PP tube actually has 2 sets of marks? 1 for a PP dose and 1 for a regular dose? If so, that makes sense. It's been quite a while since I used an actual PP

Yes, it has two sets of markings. The entire tube is a dose for a regular sized horse. I remember being confused the first time I saw it.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Yes, it has two sets of markings. The entire tube is a dose for a regular sized horse. I remember being confused the first time I saw it.
    Thanks RedMare. I knew it was confusing because when I first opened the box and looked at the tube I thought "wow, I only have to use half the tube". Then I realized that I was reading the marks for a single dose, not a double dose.

Thanks all! Confirmed with the vet,he gets the whole tube for 5 days. Oh goody! The markings on the tubes really throw you for a loop! Thanks everyone here too!

It is apparently quite tasty, because my cranky-pants boy didn't so much as flick an ear when I gave him his. A glob fell on the floor and the BM's dog slurped it up so it must taste good to dogs, too. Two critters dewormed at once!
    Click here before you buy.

You are to use the entire tube each day per horse. One tube - one horse. The idea of power pak is that Safeguard is safe enough to use double strength. The encysted strongyloides do not come out right away and you have to dose 5 days in a row to get them. You have to double dose because panacur (safeguard) is not strong enough to kill them regular strength. Other wormers that are strong enough to kill the strongyloides regular strength are not safe enough to use 5 days in a row! That is how you end up with a Power Pak. If you want to save money you can buy the liquid safeguard for cattle and dose it so that you get the same total dosage. A $110 bottle will dose 4 horses as opposed to two with Power Pak. You have to add syrup to the Safeguard to make it palatable though or they will toss it out of their grain or sulk and refuse to eat any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by horseofcorff View Post
    A $110 bottle will dose 4 horses as opposed to two with Power Pak.
    One PowerPac doses ONE horse, not two.

Quote Originally Posted by horseofcorff View Post
    You are to use the entire tube each day per horse. One tube - one horse.
    It depends on the size of the horse - this "1 tube per horse" idea is part of what has lead to the resistance we have The PP is good for a 1250lb horse. There are MANY horses, especially these bigger WBs (heck, even some smaller QH's! ) who weigh more than that.

You dose by weight. For a great many horses, it's going to be more than 1 tube a day

The idea of power pak is that Safeguard is safe enough to use double strength.
    The idea is that through testing, 4.6mg/lb of fenbendazole for 5 days in a row is what kills encysted strongyles. Fenbendazole IS a pretty darn safe chemical from the horse's perspective - it's been tested to 454mg/lb for a single dose, and 22.7mg/lb for 15 consecutive days and they still couldn't find ill side effects (for the horse LOL).

The encysted strongyloides do not come out right away and you have to dose 5 days in a row to get them.
    They don't "come out" in this process. They are killed where they lay encysted. The chemical builds in their system, and finally they die, though it can take a couple of weeks for them to fully die off.

You have to double dose because panacur (safeguard) is not strong enough to kill them regular strength.
    Correct, a single dose, even a single dose for 5 days, is not enough.

Other wormers that are strong enough to kill the strongyloides regular strength are not safe enough to use 5 days in a row!
    There is only 1 other chemical that kills the encysted strongyles - moxidectin - and you're right, don't EVER use that even 2 days in a row!

If you want to save money you can buy the liquid safeguard for cattle and dose it so that you get the same total dosage. A $110 bottle will dose 4 horses as opposed to two with Power Pak.
    I couldn't find how big a $110 bottle is, but as per above, how many horses that can dose *entirely* depends on how much the horse's weigh.

A Power Pack won't ever dose 2 horses/ponies unless they are less than 600lb each. A normal Power Pack will do at most 1 horse, and often, again as per above, a bit less than 1 horse.

You have to add syrup to the Safeguard to make it palatable though or they will toss it out of their grain or sulk and refuse to eat any of it.
    It is pretty tasteless, mine have eaten it right in their feed, as have many others