The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Default CO GR8 fit issues?

I was really hoping to get a new CO GR8 as my main helmet -I think they look nice and classic on everyone else. The 7 /18 I've tried on fits my head shape perfectly and comfortably, except it feels like it's perched on top of my head - there's honestly at least three fingers worth of space between the top of my ear and the helmet - there is a ton of my hairnet visible. The salesgirl insisted that the helmet would "settle" and fit lower as I rode in it, but I'm not sure that's possible - anyone have this issue with the GR8? It even looks a bit silly on my head - like a completely different helmet than the one on everyone else. I keep thinking I'm trying a different model!

Have they changed the design/fit on them at all, or do I just have a wierd head? Do they really settle at all?

Thanks!

I had a GR8 and it perched on my head too. And no, after a year it never settled down. I ended up with a Gpa that fits down on my head and is much more protective of my noggin ....in my opinion

My advice would be to try other Charles Owen styles or other brands for a better look and fit.

I used to ride in a GR8 and it does ride a little higher than some, but it fit me well and was secure. For an unrelated reason I ended up replacing it with a AYR8. The fit is very similar but I feel like it is a bit deeper. So if you like the GR8 but want a deeper bucket, I would highly recommend the AYR8!

If the GR8 doesn't fit you, I have a hunch that a GPA would be just perfect. It's been my experience that an individual will fit one brand or the other -- but not both. I get the ever-so-adorable mushroom-head effect when I put on a GPA, but a GR8 is fine. If you're set on a Charles Owen, try on the AYR8. They fit a bit different and it may work for you. I actually have the AYR8 and it borderlines on looking bubble-y, but it's so much cooler that I don't care too much.

Anyway, while the padding in a CO will shape to your head as you use it, I wouldn't count on it "settling" dramatically with use. Sounds like a bit of a sales ploy to me.

I second (or third?) trying the AYR8. They felt deeper to me too that the other COs. And play with sizes a little too: mine's a 7 I think but if you measure my head I'm like 6 3/4 or even a 6 5/8. Mine did "break in" some over time, but I don't know about settling down. Good luck!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Quote Originally Posted by JumpSnoopy View Post
    If the GR8 doesn't fit you, I have a hunch that a GPA would be just perfect. It's been my experience that an individual will fit one brand or the other -- but not both. I get the ever-so-adorable mushroom-head effect when I put on a GPA, but a GR8 is fine. If you're set on a Charles Owen, try on the AYR8. They fit a bit different and it may work for you. I actually have the AYR8 and it borderlines on looking bubble-y, but it's so much cooler that I don't care too much.

Anyway, while the padding in a CO will shape to your head as you use it, I wouldn't count on it "settling" dramatically with use. Sounds like a bit of a sales ploy to me.
    I would usually agree with you on this, but since the OP likes the shape (round vs oval which is the usual difference between the GPA and CO heads) but just not the depth, I think the AYR8 might work better than a GPA.

GR8 didn't quite fit me but the AYR8 worked well. They look pretty similar in terms of style.
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

my CO fit like that as well, and I was never happy with it. Switched to a GPA, never been happier. Feels like my head is wearing a slipper.
    a twist in my story <3

You also might want to look into the CO Wellington Pro helmet. Similar silhouette to the GR8, but it's based off of the fit of the velvet CO Wellington.

And, as others have said, padding will most likely condense, but only so much, and it is more likely to condense on the front, back, and sides, rather than the top where there is less pressure from your head on the helmet and less padding.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping