The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:

Bob Standish --

The USET has corporate sponsors for about $2 million.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is Standish counting the $350,000 from ROLEX that Wolf mentions in Portia's report? Is he counting the $600,000+ from the USOC (and its corporate partners)? Is he counting any restricted gifts from corporations to the national endowment fund?

Who out there, besides Standish and Wolf, believes that ROLEX Watch USA wouldn't decide to DIRECTLY sponsor the organizers of the four star event - Equestrian Events International, Inc. (and its very personable/professional executive director Janie Atkinson) - if Wolf and Standish weren't involved, taking their percentage?

Of course ROLEX would continue to support EEI, this country's best Eventing athletes, and the 60,000 spectators who travel to the KY Horse Park to cheer them on (and buy Rolex watches)!

Same with the BET/USET Talent Search. The Johnson family supports the program because they love the idea of continuing the growth of tomorrow's Olympic medalists - they're not sponsoring the program because of their relationship with Standish and Wolf.

If the remainder of the 2 million Standish speaks of is derived from the same type of reasoning - as Balch said - "the sky is not falling."

(thanks again Portia, truly grateful for your efforts!)

Well, I can confirm this for you Bostonian (and thanks for the thanks) -- During the interational open forum at the AHSA annual meeting last January, Armand Leone made the assertion that the USET was concerned about losing sponsorship if they went through with the consolidation plan the AHSA was proposing. I stood up and asked specifically if any of the corporate sponsors had indicated that they would not continue to support the USET if it was not the NGB or if it merged with the AHSA. Dr. Leone replied that no corporate sponsors had given any indication they would withdraw sponsorship if the USET did not become NGB or merged with the AHSA. Dr. Leone said that the sponsors they were talking about were certain unidentified individual donors who had told the USET they would not continue to support the organization in such circumstances.

So, according to Dr. Leone, the USET was concerned with threats from a few private donors, not from any corporate sponsors.

If I can find my report on the AHSA Annual Meeting where I reported this at the time, I'll post the link.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Weatherford is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

From Nancy Jaffer's colimn in the Star Ledger:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> THE SAGA CONTINUES As a result of the ongoing clash between USA Equestrian (formerly the American Horse Shows Association) and the U.S. Equestrian Team over which should be American horse sports' national governing body, the team has financial problems and had to obtain a $2 million line of credit, USET leader Armand Leone Jr. revealed last week. "The AHSA's relentless negative press and letter bombardment put many members and sponsors temporarily on the sideline pending the outcome of the upcoming hearing," he said. Leone explained the line of credit, personally guaranteed by several team members, was need to fulfill USET training and competition commitments. Calling the efforts of USAE President Alan Balch and his organization "malicious," Leone added, "We can survive the war of attrition that the AHSA has tried to wage."

Once the matter is settled, Leone expressed confidence in the team's ability to rebound financially. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

If I am reading this correctly, Mr. Leone is saying the USET had to float a loan because they can't raise operating expenses; their donor base has objected to this debacle - which of course, the AHSA started and is pursuing both in and out of the Press?

Hmm, sounds like a different fight to me.

Let's see, the AHSA is a bad guy because it is opening its doors and ears to its members? Because it is posting all the information that is non-confidential and CAN be posted to the members? Because it has had open meetings, and active involvement from all levels of the sport? Because it is active encouraging that kind of involvement? Because Mr. Balch REQUESTED and was DENIED access to financial information to which he has a LEGAL RIGHT, not to mention a LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY, to see? Because all those who favored a compromise and mediation were kicked off the Board of the USET? (Whoops, they are back on now!)

I think his eyes are closed.

Essentially, as I read this with my own spin, the USET is floating a $2 million dollar loan - which in the past would have been one or two checks from major contributors - because those contributors don't want to pay the legal fees (from, IMHO incompetent and greedy lawyers) that they are encouraging the Team to incur in this mess. Ah hum.

Meaning, they'd write those checks if the money were going towards "their" riders' and "their" horses' Team adventures??

No, instead, blame it on the SMALL contributor - those of us who only contribute - I think it was 10 or 20% - to the USET annual funds?!! Blame it on those of us who CARE enough to be heard and express our disappointment and even rage that this CRAP is going on!

This sounds to me like some perverted sort of blackmail - is there some ulterior motive behind all this? Are we missing something?? WHAT IS THE POINT??? Why is it SO ESSENTIAL to the USET to be a separate and SOMINATING organization? The competence at the ewxecutive level there has already been called into question - do we WANT that?

Time for more letters. This time INSIST on compromise!

(Donning flame suit!)

After the glowing financial report USET's CFO Mark Piwowar was obviously told to present to the USOC in the report Portia shared with all of us, if you were Leone and you read what SoEasy shared on another thread:

"The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filed a civil complaint yesterday, charging three auditors for the now-defunct Allegheny health system with participating in a "fraudulent scheme" to hide the hospital network's declining finances."

Would you want the USOC, or anyone else for that matter, to think that your short-fall ($2 million - GASP!) was ANYTHING BUT sudden -unpredictable - and/or someone else's fault??!!

Please.

Original Poster

How many other NF's from other fields have an Executive Director who makes (and I have heard this from a number of sources, so I assume it is true or darned close) $250,000 per year? (not including perks)

How many other NF's (OR NON-PROFITS, for that matter) have as many executive level employees who make more than $100,000 per year (not including perks)??

I used to be in the non-profit sector. Assistant Director of a museum. Let's see, I started at $10,000 per year - and this was NOT even 25 years ago!

And speaking of accountants, where are those salaries included in the Income Statement? Can't be included in Salaries and/or Overhead, as those numbers are remarkably low. Maybe they are hidden under Training??

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

One of the documents that has been posted on the NGB fight referred to an insurrection at USET that took over control of the organization, maybe in the 80's, maybe in the 90's.

Anybody know what the reference was to? I'm assuming it was that insurrection that put the current administration in power.

Be interesting to know whether the USET that we have been so proud of for its achievements in the past isn't the USET that we have today.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Salaries as stated on the USET's IRS Form 990 (a document all charities must make available) for 1999:

Robert Standish (exec. dir.): $239,630
    Mark Piwowar (controller): $108,693
    Patricia McGrath (development): $140,500

The whole form is available online at Guidestar.com as a PDF document. Just search for U.S. Equestrian Team.

http://www.guidestar.com

The AHSA's is available there as well.

[This message was edited by Erin on Sep. 03, 2001 at 04:54 PM.]

$239 thousand dollars?? a year plus perks ???
    Brilyntrip

Original Poster

That was in 1999!!

Take a look yourselves if you don't believe it!

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Anyone have a calculator??? This IS very interesting.

Jim Wolf and Bonnie Jenkins reportedly make what Piwowar makes NOW, and Piwowar was given a healthy raise in 2000.

As far as Standish goes, he must have something on somebody because his education and/or experience does not demand those kind of dollars in the real business world, let alone the "charitable" world of non-profits.

I cannot wait to see how this turns out!

[This message was edited by Bostonian on Sep. 04, 2001 at 05:20 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brilyntrip:
    $239 thousand dollars?? a year plus perks ???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the 15+ former USET employees gave me a typical example of the deals Standish negotiates with the very "USET" sponsors he's afraid of losing: in order to become the official SUV of Hamilton Farm - Paul Miller GIVES a new Range Rover to Standish every few thousand miles.

For his sake, I hope Bayer is giving him plenty of aspirin!

Buh-bye.

I dunno, Bostonian, last time I was there, he was driving a Mercedes SUV, not a Range Rover...

but am I alone in thinking thats alot of money??/
    Brilyntrip

Original Poster

Absolutely, brilyntrip! It is a shocking lot of money and considerably more than MOST not for profit ED's! Certainly considerably more than other NP's of the size and scale of the USET.

Ditto all the other salaries!

I will look for the salary figured NP's and post them when I find them.

I believe Paul Miller also sells Mercedes Benz. They are one of the sponsors that came on board last year.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I think you got it just about exactly right.

I do think it seems like good news if in fact so many USET "supporters" have removed themselves to the sidelines and refused to participate and/or fund the Team's current strategy and tactics.

IMO, it *must* be demonstrated to the USET and its executives that it is not acceptable OR POSSIBLE to continue to run the Team the way it has been done in the recent past.

While it is sad that the staggeringly huge sums of money spent on this effort have considerably diminished the funds available for development and promotion of the sport, if it results in a more open, honest and businesslike executive group at the USET, I do believe it will have been worth the effort.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

This is one member and donor who is not temporarily on the sidelines pending the outcome of the hearing. Unfortunately, until USET management practices change, I cannot in good conscience send them money.

I want to support our international athletes, but I will find another way to do so.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

You are not alone.. Portia. Several people have told me they are doing exactly that. They hope there will be an end soon.