The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Canyonoak -- I finally read more carefully and saw your reference to Leone now calling USA Eq USA Eq instead of AHSA! LOL!

Yes, finally getting him to use the name that has been in place for 6 months is itself a victory! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

On the LL and TS front, it will be interesting to see how they react to whatever the new arrangement is. If it is anything like the previously public plan from the mediation, the idea was to separate out the committees for the international disciplines, including jumpers, from the committees for the national disciplines, including hunters. (Which, IMHO, is how it should be. Hunters and jumpers are different and have different concerns, and they should have separate committees dedicated to addressing those different issues.) I question whether the NHJC could survive that kind of reorganization, at least as it exists now, which may well have lead to some howling on the part of those in charge of that group. (That's just speculation on my part, of course, and may be totally off base.)

The USA Eq Exec Comm has my sympathies for having to, and admiration for being able to, work something out that actually satisfied a majority of these different interests and egos!
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
    sgray - I have heard - and don't know if it is true or not - that in order for lesser marque type sports to air on some cable channels, they must pay for that priviledge. That may be what the $245K was used for?

Ahhhh... to be like the Big Dance, where YOU get obscene amounts of money to be aired... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks DMK - I had never heard anything about that so the big $s were a shock - am now wondering what events were paid for - would be interesting to see that breakdown
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

"the idea was to separate out the committees for the international disciplines, including jumpers, from the committees for the national disciplines, including hunters. (Which, IMHO, is how it should be. Hunters and jumpers are different and have different concerns, and they should have separate committees dedicated to addressing those different issues.) "

total agreement with that

and that, in whatever form, it is time for the NHJC to get weaned off of its dependency on USA Eq - if you're gonna act like an independent organization then you need to support yourself

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

As I understand it, the broadcast of just about anything horsey (other than maybe TB racing) on ESPN or ESPN 2 is paid for by the event and/or the event sponsors, such as Budweiser for certain GPs.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

YES! I would guess that any minor sport which has no spectator base would have to pay the fees for the broadcasting of their sports events.

Logically, if the station cannot sell advertising time on a program then someone has to pay. But, isn't that rather like the idea that "if you give a man food it is gone in one day and if you give him seeds he will always have food."

This has been the whole point of the creation of a Marketing and Development Committee. If we spend that money on the seeds of a broad based program that reaches down the ladder to the beginnings then we will have the necessary sponsors for the rest of the time.

As to the separation of hunters and jumpers, I hadn't heard about that but it's a great idea. I think that the NHJC has proven itself defunct as a members association by their refusal to even consider the needs of members who they wish to get money from to fund their own vanities.

All of the proposals we made last year to revise the By-Laws and make the Zone Committees representative of the real membership have never been addressed. They refuse to comply with their own By-Laws in giving the members information needed. And, at least in the case of Zone 2 there is no effort whatsoever to be interested in the membership attendance at so-called meetings, no financial reports, no reports from even the "so-called" meetings as to who attended, what was on the agenda and what was accomplished.

So, for my part at least the NHJC would be no loss and I certainly will not be happy with Larry Langer as the President again for another 4 years after our experience with him as President in the past.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:
    As I understand it, the broadcast of just about anything horsey (other than maybe TB racing) on ESPN or ESPN 2 is paid for by the event and/or the event sponsors, such as Budweiser for certain GPs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so what would be your guess as to why the uset lists $245K for broadcasting?

Snowbird / Portia "As to the separation of hunters and jumpers, I hadn't heard about that but it's a great idea. I think that the NHJC has proven itself defunct as a members association by their refusal to even consider the needs of members who they wish to get money from to fund their own vanities."

if the NHJC was split out of USA Eq and became its own entity (along the lines of USEA, USDF, etc) then wouldn't membership become voluntary as it is with those examples? and then wouldn't there have to be some responsiveness to the needs/wishes of its members?

S, I meant to include the USET among the group that would help to pay for the broadcasts, as one of the event sponsors.

If you remember, I think there was some discussion of having to pay for television coverage during Jim Host's (Host Communications) testimony at the USOC hearing. One of his goals was to reach the point where such exposure would be paid for entirely by sponsors (commercials) and the viewership base would be large enough that the networks want to broadcast horse sports -- so that they may even reach the point some day of them paying the events for broadcast rights.

On separating the hunters and jumpers, that's just guesswork on my part based on the proposed plan previously made public. They may well have changed it 180 degrees since then! However, it was the USET who kept insisting that the FEI disciplines have to be handled differently than the national disciplines, and -- whether the USET acknowleged it or not while they were trying to court the favor of the NHJC leadership -- jumpers fall into one category and hunters into the other.

[This message was edited by Portia on Dec. 27, 2001 at 12:58 PM.]

Just making things up here, with no actual knowledge...

It may be that some of that $245,000 broadcasting expense was offset by revenue associated with the broadcast - for example it may be that USET paid for the broadcast and sponsor(s) paid a large chunk of that back to USET in exchange for their airtime on/around the program. However, that would not be obvious from a tax return - the gross amounts are reported and the links/dependencies are not shown.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think that the NHJC has proven itself defunct as a members association by their refusal to even consider the needs of members who they wish to get money from to fund their own vanities."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And, even worse the idea that Larry Langer could even be considered for President of NHJC is obscene after what he pulled in Zone 10. We would not only have to be mandatory members but be taxed for a bunch of associations with which we don't even participate. So, how would it be fair if we all had to give up doing hunters just to avoid them?

"The United States Equestrian Team is the non-profit organization, which selects, trains, equips, finances and promotes equestrians of the highest possible standard to represent our country in major international competition, including the Olympics Games and the World Championships. In doing so, the USET seeks out and nurtures the development of talented athletes -riders, drivers and horses - and provides the support and guidance they need to help them attain their fullest potential."

certainly falls under the scope of "promotes equestrians" - I just had no idea that the uset had been doing that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poltroon:
    However, that would not be obvious from a tax return - the gross amounts are reported and the links/dependencies are not shown.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

true Poltroon - I was just surprised to see that line item and curious to see if anyone knew about it

I'm curious too. Though now that I think of it, there's a USET commercial that I've seen during Rolex at least. So, the broadcasting line item could (a) have paid at one point for the creation of this commercial and (b) probably reflects money paid to support the broadcast of any event that runs this commercial.

I would hasten to add that I do think this is a good use of USET funds, assuming we're correct. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

what mag is HDV??

The Horse of Delaware Valley. They do have a web site of sorts too.

I've learned that the USET's commercial was DONATED by one of the trustees in 1997 or 1998 and the broadcasting expense is, as suggested, related to buying air-time and production.

They should have been able to get a great price for the air-time with all the contacts they have in the industry (USOC/NBC, Dolan and Fox Sports Net - oh that's right nevermind - Debbie was politically driven off a team, after being selected to compete in the 80's).

Anyways, most of that is the cost of paying a televison crew to produce the festival of champions, two show jumping grand prix classes(Indio and Wellington), and the three day event in KY. Of course, this expense is supposed to be off-set by the sale of the commercial spots, but instead it appears the time is being given away to Abtronics and other info commercials. That or the same Bayer and Rolex commercial air two or three times which means Standish is either including the spots as part of the sponsorship agreement, or his marketing people aren't able or trying to sell the commercial time...

Ratings aside, with this type of exposure any monkey should be able to sell corporate sponsorship for USET.

That said, host communications, or any professional rewarded with commission for that matter, will be able to help the Team leverage their corporate contacts to maximize the revenue stream from commercials; negotiate lower air-time costs; and produce higher quality shows, for less. The production jobs for the Bayer/USET events were probably given to a friend of a friend and the Budweiser events are no doubt produced by Bud Sports TV (and their announcer, Lisa Busch Burke Harkin (sp?)).

Ratings and exposure aside, with the appealing demographics of equestrian, even shows with low ratings should attract buyers for all of these commercial spots. Without this revenue, and all other things considered, this line item for 2000 seems right on the money (and probably quite reasonable to USET's management).

Still, I would enjoy seeing the line item for "commercial revenue."

Bostonian, that was Jim Host's point precisely, testifying on behalf of USA Eq regarding the marketing plan he has produced for it. He said that U.S. horse sports have demographics that commercial corporations should kill for -- but they have never been properly marketed to those advertisers.