The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default County Innovation vs. County Conquest - How do they compare?

I had a County rep out and tried a County Stabilizer and a County Innovation and fell in love with the Innovation. However, they are nearly impossible to find in the size I need for myself any my gelding. I found a County Conquest that will fit us both that I can actually afford, so how does it compare to the Innovation? They appear to be pretty similar...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I did all kinds of research before the County rep came to my barn, and I was convinced that if I got a County (I was deciding between County and Devoucoux), I'd be getting an Innovation.

Low and behold, I ened up with a Conquest, because it was so much better for me.

It's hard for me to explain exactly how they were different. The Innovation was not bad, but I just didn't feel as balanced in it as I'd hoped. The rep threw another saddle on my horse -- I did not know what it was - and said "try this." I could immediately tell that it was the saddle for me. Imagine my delighted surprise when it was less expensive than what I'd budgeted!

Anyway, I guess my point is that they are very different, and if you loved the Innovation, I doubt you'll love the Conquest. But if you can try a Conquest out on a test ride, it might work out well.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I tried both the innovation and the conquest and went with the conquest. I felt too "locked in" in the innovation. It made me feel like I couldn't move in the saddle at all. The conquest still sits you deep into the saddle, but you can slide forward and back a little more. Having said that, I know several people who love the innovation.

Before you sign up for a Conquest, ask your rep to bring in a demo for you (I'm assuming she doesn't carry one).

When I was trying out saddles from County, what I was looking for put the choice between the Innovation and the Conquest. I personally fell in love with the Innovation, and yes it's true that it is a really secure saddle, but that's what I wanted. My previous saddle let me slip around too much. I tried the Conquest right after the Innovation, and I just wasn't anywhere near as happy in it. My local rep told me that it's definitely true that people fall one way or the other. If you love the Innovation, you won't really like the Conquest. If you love the Conquest, you probably won't really like the Innovation. It's definitely different for everyone, but having a rep bring saddles out for you to make sure what you really like is always best.

I actually went with a Black Country Ricochet.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013