The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charlotte it is!

Hey y'all! You may remember me writing about striking the work/ride balance and figuring out just how to get out there against all that city traffic. Well, good news! I finally get to check off that job requirement box, and I'm moving to Charlotte in no less than three weeks! Now, COTH monitors, let me know if the first one is allowed or not, but I need to figure out two things: where to live and where to ride.

My office is near Southend, off West Moreland. I'd absolutely love to live in that area, but the one bedrooms are completely out of my price range. And since all of my initial contacts have struck out, I'm unsure if I could find a roommate in time. I'd like to live in an area close to work and safe. I'm a 22 year old, single girl so thats very important! Secondly, it has to be dog friendly. I have super lazy, very well behaved 50lb 4 year old mutt. Bonus points for nearby parks, walkable restaurants/shops, and promixity to Lynx.

Secondly, I'd like to find a place to ride. For now, since I'm unsure of the time and financial roadblocks my job will bring me, I'd just like to get to know the barns and eventing community in the area. I evented through Novice/Training and pony clubbed in high school. In college, I rode an assortment of OTTBs, and just this past year, half-leased a wonderful jumper-turning-eventer WB to keep me sane. I'd like to find a barn that is safe, knowledgeable, clean, and active. In that order. Eventually, I'd love to start taking lessons again and lease a horse, but for now, I'd just like to get my barrings and feet on the ground. Hopefully volunteer at a few events, audit some clinics, and get to know people. Figure I'd throw out the feelers early on!

Thank you for all your help!
    Last edited by tres grey; Apr. 21, 2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Typo.

Do check with Lesley Stevenson http://lesleystevenson.webs.com/ as she knows the area well and is a good option as a trainer. Also, check out the Ark, which has great people, is close to Charlotte and can almost certainly use help/volunteers http://www.wnaaa.com/events.html

That said, a big congrats on finding a job and good luck with getting settled in Charlotte.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Default welcome!

I am not back into riding much yet, but I enjoy the heck out of volunteering at The Ark. Spent four days volunteering at The Fork recently and had an AMAZING time, learned loads, met amazing people... it has been very theraputic for me!

Wishing you the best as you transition here.

I have one student who lives in Fort Mill (or is it Rock Hill? I always get those confused!) and works in S. Charlotte, another who works near Westinghouse Blvd and lives in Gastonia. Sometimes they carpool. It is about an hour for them--we are about half-hour east of Charlotte, 15 min from 485. However the one who lives in Fort Mill found an affordable apt that allows dogs; I'll see what the name of the apt complex is....

Jennifer

Check out the Pineville area (south of Charlotte). There is a train station just off 485 that will get you within a few blocks of your your new job. Go to http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/Pages/default.aspx" website for more info.

Enjoy Charlotte, I worked there for 12 years, now able to work from home.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I would second fooler on checking out the Pineville area. You would be halfway between the job and plenty of places to ride on the south side. To add into trainer suggestions, check out Kelsey Briggs - she has a website and FB page (Kelsey Briggs Eventing) and her barn is very close to the south side of Charlotte.

Good luck on the move! If you have any other questions feel free to reach out! I don't have a training barn, but you are always welcome to come out and hang out with us fellow eventers/former pony clubbers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babyeventer23 View Post
    I would second fooler on checking out the Pineville area. You would be halfway between the job and plenty of places to ride on the south side. To add into trainer suggestions, check out Kelsey Briggs - she has a website and FB page (Kelsey Briggs Eventing) and her barn is very close to the south side of Charlotte.

Good luck on the move! If you have any other questions feel free to reach out! I don't have a training barn, but you are always welcome to come out and hang out with us fellow eventers/former pony clubbers!!!
    Hi Becca! Yes I second Kelsey, I met her when I was visiting last year and I absolutely adored her!
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Sally!!! I didn't know you were on COTH!! :-)

Yep, it's me!!
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

I am another one of Kelsey Briggs' students and I LOVE her!!!! I work at the same barn as babyeventer and am always up for meeting new horsey people so feel free to stop by and say hi!

As far as the living area goes, I am in Waxhaw which is about a 30 minute drive or so to Charlotte and that includes traffic. I am not really sure where your job is located though. I may be up for having a roommate if it is the right fit and I have no problem with dogs as I live on a horse farm and have 2 of my own. Either way, I would love to meet you!
    A Pony is a Childhood Dream, A Horse is an Adulthood Treasure!http://www.turningdreamsintotreasure.blogspot.com

Welcome to Charlotte from a fellow design student/letterpress printer! I love your portfolio!!!

I know several people are recommending Pineville (which is so close to many riding opportunites!) , but consider the traffic, gas, and wear and tear on your car every work day! I am not happy right now with how far I am from work and the barn. I feel like I spend too much time in the car getting home to change and grab my dog then heading out to the barn. It takes me the same time to do that versus going straight there down 24/27.

Congrats on finding a design job in a fun city!! Thanks for the update!

Designers want to know (aka me, lol) where are you working??
    Hope you just love your new situation!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Wow, thank you all you such a warm welcome and all your suggestions! It sounds like I'll have a couple emails to write and places to call upon my arrival. So excited! I'm drooling over just how many event places y'all have in such a small radius. 11 in a 3.5 hours!? Makes me a happy girl. My friend also told me yesterday that she just received an offer in Charlotte and she is making her decision Monday. Fingers crossed that we'll be apartment shopping for two!

I love talking to other designers on COTH! Its nice combining the design and equine worlds together. I'm working at a small interactive and branding agency called MODE. I cannot wait to start!