The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What kind of cart am I going to need?

I know we're not ready to start driving yet, but *I* am ready to start thinking about cart shopping - at this point, I don't know much beyond "I need something he can pull".

Well, duh...

I just weight-taped him at about 475 lbs. The rescue told me he was 10.2, but when I just eyeballed using the height side of the weight tape, he looks more like 10.3 - somewhere in that range, anyway.

And he's sturdy - not a dainty mini-type horse.

I am not a small woman - 5'6", 165ish lbs.

We will eventually be driving on the drive roads in our neighborhood, which means some ups/downs and crossing the occasional sandy wash.

I want to avoid pneumatic tires if possible because of all the poky things that abound here. My muck cart got flats ALL the time until I swapped out the tires for solid ones.

I will need something I can easily handle by myself.

Something safe (see my screen name <G>).

So what kind(s) of thing should I be looking for?

Enable away, ladies & gentlemen!
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

I would look for a nice metal or wood easy entry cart-much easier to get in and out of. You can get solid tires for them also.

I would look at getting something like this, if you're concerned about pneumatics rupturing. ....

http://www.colonialcarriage.com/item.cfm?id=1070

Of course, big $$$, too ... so budget dependant.

You can get a cart with pneumatics and swap out the wheels.

http://www.kshai1715.wordpress.com
    Life in 2012; Horses, Life, Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    Holy Pacific Carriage wannabe !! and over $1k less!!

Look into a mini Meadowbrook - all wood construction, wooden wheels. Won't get hot in the AZ sunshine, won't chip paint, very solid and sturdy....and looks cute...and authentic. And won't break the bank to buy it. Lots of sites for them - just google.

There are a lot of posts you can search about this topic.

Lots of opinions...there's the metal cart/Jerrold crowd (bike wheels, pneumatic tires etc.) They are light, don't balance well and spoke wheels are dangerous when a side load is applied.

Anyway, I like meadowbrooks, but they're too heavy for a small pony. They're also tough to get in and out of. You're trapped in a tub.

A nice easy entry with wood solid tired wheels is great and light. Buy used if you can. Look on Ebay, lots of carts. Also, go onto the CDL (carriage driving list, not truck driver) forum/list...great info and people always have somethign to sell.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

OMG I want a Sprint so so so badly.

I am not well versed in vehicles, but I would suggest a simple easy entry too. Its just a great place to start. Easy to find, easy to learn, easy to keep.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Thanks.

I have a LONG time to find a cart

But it would be nice to have something specific in mind so I can keep an eye out.

I drove a Meadowbrook in my follow-up lesson with Driving Clinic Guy. I agree - lovely, but a PITA to get in & out of.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

If the Meadowbrook strikes your fancy, but you hate the egress problem - we ALL do, btw - then get a wooden road cart with front entry. Just make sure it has the seat backs!! A 'no seat back' cart can leave you sitting on the road, watching your pony head into the sunset, if you get flipped out from a spook or bolt or a wheel going over a big rock or any other silly thing that can happen to your little cart while driving.

A simple seat back will prevent that embarrassing type of incident. It will keep you in the seat, and in control.